Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Dante Book 1 Canto VIII Scene I

 Canto VIII

City of Dis

Scene 1

 

“There are flames on the top of the tower,” Virgil shouted. “It signaling someone out where?”

The two of them looked around and then they saw the back to across the marsh, another set of flames were seen.

“I wondered whom it was signaling to.? Maybe someone resides in there? Did our presence triggered it?’ Dante asked those questions. “An automatic response or perhaps an alert?”

“We shall know soon. I see a ferry coming at us from the marsh.” Virgil indicated to the stream.

“It may be…” Virgil saw the familiar helm of the ferry with its fierce three-headed hound. “Have we not fed that hound for a ghoul back there.”

“Cerberus is neither a hound nor ghoul. It was fabled that it was the child of Typhon and Echidna. Its siblings varied from Orthus, the Lernaean Hydra, and Chimaera. It guards the Entrances of the Underworld. The ferry here resembled the long ships of the ancient Vikings. The long ships have the dragon design on the helm and it was their insignia of fear to the coastal settlement when they approached from the sea. The mark of the dragon was said to bring them strength and power as we do in our uniform with the battalion colors. It’s a reinforced pride to the wearer.”

“Just as Cerberus is its Guardian, its vessels are regarded as formidable.” Dante ended his explanation.

“And to what is he here now? I thought we left him back there?” Virgil saw the ferryman. It was Phelygas. “I doubt it augurs well for us.”

True to the words of Virgil, when the ferry reached the stream banks near Dante, the ferryman stepped off and approached the latter.

“You must return with me. You are not wanted here.” Phelygas motioned to Dante. “I will return you to the other bank of the river. Make haste for your presence fouls the realm.”

‘When has Hell ever less than foul, Phelygas?” Virgil intervened on Phelygas. “We have seen more foul deeds here than in our living lifetime.”

“Do not intervene, the soul of Aeneas. You hid behind the name Virgil but in this realm, I can see through your soul.”

“Then see past mine, and …. his. We …. Don’t belong here. We are not the sinners. We saw they had to endure and were stopped in their journey here. We were not. Not even in Limbo, where our souls could reside forever. We are…. Pilgrims, I will add to that. Do you know what Pilgrims do?”

“Don’t use words on me, Aeneas. I am just the ferryman here. I delivered the souls where they are due. I don’t judge them.” Phelygas replied. “I do what is needed as told to me.”

“Who told you of us, Phelygas?” Dante cut in.

“The flames at the City of Dis alerted me. You are not wanted there. You are not…. Dead and only the dead can go into the City of Dis.” Phelygas looked at Virgil. “He may for he is dead.”

“And you may for you are one but you did not. Why?” Dante asked of Phelygas then.

“I… I have not decided to go there. I have a task here as the ferryman. Someone had to do the task.” Phelygas replied. “Charon is not able to handle the five rivers here. I am one of the few who assisted him.”

“Or was it you fear the final judgment?” Dante asked.

“No…I am not. I just…” Phelygas was lost for an explanation.

“Let me pass on. I will get your answer for you. I don’t belong here. I have seen the earlier Circles, and the rest lies before me. I need to complete the journey or I am …. The few here in limbo.” Dante pleaded.

“I…I … get on the ferry. I will take you to the City of Dis. From there, there is no return to here. You are in the depths of Hell there.”

“Do I pay for the fare onwards?” Dante asked.

“Only with your soul. And be damn I ever let you talk me into this.” Phelygas turned to his ferry. He called out to the ones on the ferry. “Make way for another condemned soul.”

But there was no one on the ferry. They were clinging on the side, in the marsh flow.

“Who are you that comes here before your time?” One of the souls there at the side of the ferry pulled itself up and leaned with its arms on the ferry.

“I am Dante Alighieri.”

“I know of you, Dante Alighieri. Fellow of opposing side. It’s me, I Filippo Argenti.” The one leaning there said.

“Filippo…” Dante was stunned for words.

“You could not speak my name huh, Dante. It’s me, Filippo Argenti. I was the one…” The one named Filippo then used his fight hand to smack at whoever it was below trying to pull him off. “He is mine. I know him well. Begone you oafs.”

“Tell me, Dante Alighieri. You are not dead. We can sense that in you. Your heart beats and red blood flows in your body. Why are you here, with us the lifeless souls?”

“I know you, Filippo. You…”

“Yes, I had you removed from your preaching podium. I exposed your love for the unrequited lady who is the Empress. I had your life broken into exile. Your properties are expounded by the others. Your life in turmoil and only the volunteers will take your side. I am the one who did all that, Dante Alighieri.”

“Indeed, you did. You destroyed my life then. My sanctuary invaded and my soul exposed to the mass. I am glad you are in Hell where you deserved to be.” Dante replied in anger. “I did not do you any harm and yet you despair me to a life of misery.”

“That can be told now. You are a Guelph! Supporter of the Pope who was acceded the power of the Emperor then. Your kind pukes my soul.” Filippo cursed at Dante.

“May you weep and wail to all eternity for I know you, Hell-dog. Filthy as you are.” Dante cursed back, and the other soul tried to climb onto the ferry. Phelygas reached to kick the soul off.

“Down! Down! With the other dogs.”

“It would suit my whim to see the wretch scrubbed down into the swill before we leave this stinking sink and him.”

“I do wish.” Dante then saw the loathsome spirit was mangled by the others in the stream; angry souls that pulled Fillipo in.

“Why? Why?” Filippo pulled off the ferry was questioning his plight. “I wanted to stop him. He is the underserving one.”

Dante saw the other was soon swallowed by the stream and all was silent on the ferry. He then looked at Virgil. (Adapted from the works of https://infernobydante.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/canto-viii/comment-page-1/ )

“Filippo has had wrath in his soul. He held no qualms to whom he may destroy to further his fame. He picked me for I am a Guelph, naturally his adversary by the will of his, and he then was destroyed by the same will of the others that were with him.”

“Was it because of the side he was on? I am sure there are others who…” Virgil was cut off by Dante.

“It did not matter whose side he was on. It was the nature of wrath to lash out on any action. Such is the act of betrayal; your loyalty is fluid to your interest. In that stream, they held no loyalty at all. They only want to act upon their wrath, as Filippo did to me before. He had a sample of that today.”

“Will he … What am I talking about? He is already dead and can’t die anymore.” Virgil sighed. “But where does…”

“Filippo is pushed to the bottom where he will battle up again, such is his punishment here. He will sink and rise and then sink.” Phelygas explained to Virgil. “We will soon reach the City of Dis. Please move on and leave me not of your visit here. You are no longer welcome here.”

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...