Thursday, January 16, 2020

Deep Heat II Chapter 2


2.

“The Assistant Chief Constable Robert Kellie was found shot by the servants in his study this morning. We will have more updates for you.” The Assistant Chief Constable was the one I was reporting to. I left my breakfast untouched and was told that a waiting car driven by Ian Darren was downstairs.

“The Chief Constable Carter asked for you.”  I wondered why but soon I was to have my ass on the fucking block.

The Assistant Chief Constable Kellie lived in a modest two levels house cramped in the side by other similar units, in a low crime neighborhood and was regularly patrolled by the uniform not because the Assistant Chief stayed there but the notable of the City occupied most of the other houses. The street outside his house was barricaded by the uniforms to the road junction on both sides, with the crime scene tape that marks the boundary. There was a second boundary where the public and the press were kept at bay.

Ian pulled over at the next street; the main one was filled with official cars and vans. We walked over past the inner boundary displaying the credentials while the uniformed there noted our names into the records. I saw Forensics was there, and so is the Station Commander for it happened in her turf. The familiar Section mates were there, and I met a new member named Carly Jones; brunette and short, dressed in the manly suit and looked she was an athlete in the frame. I saw Tabitha and then asked her for the brief. I was surprised that she was still in the Section; being married to the Inspector but the staffing coffer was tight and so was the rotation of staffing. She was stuck until further notice. Little she was she to know, I had my finger in the works. She is good and I hate to lose her to another Station.

Tabitha looked at Ian who nodded.

“The maid who was not live in called to duty as usual at six in the morning. She has the key to the door from the kitchen. She started her duty and when she walked into the library. The Assistant Chief was on his seat. He had used his service revolver to shoot himself in the mouth. His …. “

I stopped her and then walked to the crime scene.

I knew the Assistant Chief Constable was separated from his current wife of over five years. It was not his first but third marriage. They have no kids but the Assistant Chief Constable has one from the second marriage; a teenage daughter who stays with her mother. The home of the Assistant Chief Constable Killie was modest in furnishings with his collection of accolades and commendation. He was a rising star during his heydays and was seen to be the next Chief of Police Constables when the current one retires in a year but that was not happening then. There were also the photographs of him with the City's important people including the affluent names.

Colleen Smith Kellie, the surviving widow was there dressed in the night robe and weeping away. That took me by surprise for they were supposed to be separated. I took a note in my mind to question her then. I went on into the study and saw the man who pulled me up the ranks, seated there with his jaw pried open, and there were grisly soft tissues at the cupboard shelves. The Forensics was there to pick the gobs of tissues. The Forensics Senior then approached me with the revolver.

“It used to be the standard issue. It was replaced in the ’60s. It was fired recently.” I stared at the revolver. It was the Smith & Wesson Model 10; the Police Issuance six-shot .38 Special double-action revolver with fixed sights.  That had a barrel length of four inches. It was an antique compared to the then-standard issue of Glock 22 or 23 or the SIG Sauer P226 semi-automatic pistols. I had seen the glass cabinet containing the older model gun collected by the Assistant Chief. I motioned to the cabinet with the Forensics Team and was given the go-ahead to open it. I saw the old Peacemaker Colt 45 and the Navy Colt 44 alongside some other models like the S&W Victor Model once carried by Lee Harvey Oswald; the man who shot the US President. The ammo boxes were below in the drawer as directed by the Forensics Team. There was a different caliber from .38 to .45 and .357.

“Was he licensed to carry one?” I looked at Tabitha who had raised that concern.

“Well, He may not be but he was a Police Officer and a Senior one too. I will say he was licensed but would do the check on that.”

“Meantime, tell me why his wife is here? They were supposed to living separately?” I asked Inspector Ian Darren. He was married and staying with his wife. I was not and not in the right capacity to ask that.

“I did ask. They were trying to reconcile.” Ian had the answer for me. I was then brief more on their findings.

“We found no trace of anyone breaking in. The wife was in the spare bedroom and she took sleeping medicine to rest. We have taken her blood sample to check.” Ian was giving me the brief as if I was his superior. “The maid was sleeping downstairs and heard nothing.”

“What about any tracks outside the house?”

“We are checking but till now, nothing unusual.”

“We got his phone and checking his last calls during the night. And the wife’s too. And the maid’s.”

“Does the maid have one too?” I asked surprisingly.

“Yes, they do. They are …. in need to communicate.” Ian replied.

“Keep me informed.” Soon I left the crime scene and took the ride back to the Station with another constable. I met the Station Commander who cornered me at the stairways.

“The case is yours, Chief Inspector. That was the Chief Constable’s request. Do it well.” The bitch told me. “Or lose your promotion.”

The fuck you cared I muttered in my breath while the Station Commander strolled off.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...