Thursday, January 16, 2020

1914; the War that spooks the World Chapter 1



The war that spooks the world.

You will be home before the leaves have fallen from the trees.’ (Kaiser Wilhelm II speaking to German troops in August 1914)

World War I; a journey from the muddy trenches to the ice-cold weather in Eastern Europe. Their journey' their hardship; their pain and joy. This was their tale of the days in the war.
1914

Prologue

Where it all began


Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne was assassinated in Sarajevo on 28 June 1914. He was shot by a member of the Black Hand, a Serbian nationalist secret society.

The Austria-Hungary's Government opted to take the opportunity to stamp its authority upon the Serbians, crushing the nationalist movement there and cementing Austria-Hungary's influence in the Balkans. It issued an ultimatum to Serbia to have the assassins brought to justice, knowing that Serbia would decline; thus giving her a pretext for launching a limited war against Serbia. At the same time, the Austria-Hungary government sought assurances from her ally, Germany, that she would come to her aid in the event of a war. Russia declared war on Austria-Hungary this paving the way for Germany to come in to assist.

That event was to set off a war which was soon to claimed over 37 million; 16 million deaths and 20 million wounded ranking it among the deadliest conflicts in human history.






The Beginning


1. Weismes Train Station


Dieter Luther, Gefreiter

The Pannier Locomotive announced its arrival at the Weismes Station in the Prussian States that morning of 12th August 1914 with a load of four hundred men from the 1st Guards Regiment. They were the remnants from the full strength of three thousand four hundred men including staff and medical orderlies under the Regiment.

Weismes was a smalltown at the border with a small population who are mostly farmers and livestock breeders. The people here speak Belgium and German, and they have friends on both sides of the border. The presence of the trainloads of soldiers tells them that friendship would now be strained and its best to keep things under wrap for the duration. The station itself was a small one and the Station Master was not bothered to check on his schedule as there are none on the arriving trains. He won't even bother to check the telegraph lines as that was probably down that day. His office was occupied by some officers handling the logistics while he took his break outside under the tree smoking his pipe. It has been like this for the last week and he hoped they would just get over it, so he can do his own work again like normal.

We were the last to disembark at the border to meet our other associates outside of the town limits. Our 3rd Company is under Hauptmann (Captain) Peter Weiner, and our platoon leader is Sergeant Hans Bern, with his Unteroffizier (Corporal) Marcus Dern. We are the 2nd Platoon of the 3rd Company in the 1st Guards Regiment. There are twenty-two of us who are in this unit, of which fifteen of us have never fired a shot at a live target except for some chickens we saw on the way here. My name is Dieter Luther and I held the rank of Gefreiter as I was the better marksman than the rest of the squad.

“Good, you can shoot good.” For that, I was promoted. I was part of the infantry soldier in the 1st Guards Regiment under the German Empire Army and we have just reached the battlefield that day. It was to be our first battle under the First Army who was under the command of General Von Kluck, marching into Belgium country.

Three years ago, I became a baker apprentice in the western part of Berlin, baking bread and decorating cakes for the baker. It was six months ago when I got the letter to be drafted into the active army and I left without a second thought. It was my aspiration to be a soldier but my father thinks I would do well as the baker. I did join the Reserve to spite him but there was not much to do except march and trained with the wooden rifle. My father detested me from joining the Reserve and he kept me as much as possible in the bakery or the house. It’s was always his idea on what I should be and always his on how and who I should be. I was not my brother who followed the father’s wishes and became a teacher.

So when the draft came, I grabbed the opportunity to tell him I was my own man. Life as a soldier was not bad then, although it was boring with all the marching and training. I was to be assigned to Kitchen with my baking skills but the Sergeant decided to make a sniper instead. The best part was when we donned the uniform of the army than with the spiked helmet and the knee long marching boots that distinguish us from the others in other armies. It’s a design of tradition dating some years back from the history of Prussia and Germany. The helmet was made from boiled leather, with spike and fittings made by brass. We have over it our regiment number in red on the front flag held by the Regiment Sergeant leading the men in the parade.

Our army standard tunic and trousers were in field gray cloth with colors identifying the army corps plus monogram identifying the regiment. The Infantry had red piping down the outer seams. We all carried a Mauser Model Gewehr 98 rifle with six pouches of the cartridge that comes in brown leather held four five-round clips of 7.92mm ammo alongside our knapsack. In the knapsack, we carried changes of clothes, blankets, footwear, food, and other personal effects. We are issued for our comfort the gray greatcoat and beige-colored tent cloth plus the essential mess tin attached to the pack. We also carried a haversack, or called “bread­bag”, in light brown cloth attached to the belt. The haversack was used for carrying food, eating gear and personal effects. Our water bottle made of aluminum and covered in cloth was hooked to the haversack.

We were proud to be part of the army and marched with pride down the roads to the railway station when the call came then. The last big war for the German’s was the Franco-Prussian War 1870 which we won and claimed some territory. This new war was not started by us but due to an alliance with Austria-Hungary, we had to engage the enemy.

We were told that a Serbian national assassinated the heir of the Austria-Hungary and then hid out in Serbia. Serbia ignored the request for extradition of the murderer, thus both countries are at war. Russia was an ally of Serbia, also declared war on Germany. France who was an alliance of Russia did the same. We had to then defend our borders. That last reason was why we are in the border of Germany Belgium. We were part of the German plan to invade France through Belgium.

So how does a baker apprentice to know all this. I was also privy to the command for the Hauptmann in command there was my cousin from my mother’s side. He was a professional soldier for over ten years waiting for the war to start so he can make some real amendments to his rank.

“For you to be promoted, you either have the influences of the family or be brash to remove your seniors. Or wait for war and then watched them get shot before you can move up.” I listened hard to my cousin. “The pay is better.”

That was the other motivation for me to join the Army. My cousin was the one who assisted me in getting recruited into the Army Reserve when my father protested on my joining.

“Be active there and you will get promoted to the real army in the Regiment.” I adhered to his advice and made myself very active in the Reserve and the call to join his command soon came. He had brief me on the possibility of war since the middle of June.



Peter Weiner, Hauptmann

I stepped off the train onto the wooden platform. It was a relief to be off the train after a long ride from Berlin. I took out my packet of cigarettes and pushed out a stick. I stuck it to my lips but I did not light it. My attention was on the men who were stepping out like me onto the solid ground after a long train ride. There is a combination of veterans and new draftee who had never seen a war. I could see the NCOs' trying to mobilize the men into their respective platoons before they can be matched to their company. The medical orderlies are organizing their horses to be hitched to the wagons to carry the supplies. There were the machine gun squads with the Maxim Machine Gun that are loading onto the wagons.

"Hauptmann Weiner." I turned to see the person addressing me. It was a Feldwebel who was not known to me. He was a short man by my height but he carried a stout body on his frame. His facial was made comical by his short mustache which was thin above his upper lips. I took down my unlit cigarette and looked at the man.

"It was a the design I learned from the southern continent folks. Sicilian to be exact and I held onto the design.” He had noticed my curiosity and it was obvious that many would have commented on his hairline above those lips.

“I am Feldwebel Hans Mauser. Herr Hauptmann." I nodded to his introduction. "I was posted from Berlin but my delay was because I arrived on the wrong train. I came last night and I thought I wait for you this morning before rejoining the Company."

"Good, and welcome abroad. You may help to organize the troops coming in and I would meet you at the assigned Company Command Post. Thank you, Feldwebel." I walked away from the platform to join the squads who were already mobilized to move out. I threw my unlit cigarette to the ground and stepped on it. The cigarette has lost its appeal since. The men were assembling ahead and some were marching when their squad was complete. It would be a good morning walk towards the Command Post which was about a mile away.

"Herr Hauptmann, you can take a ride on my wagon." I was to see an old man who was probably a farmer going back home after delivering his fresh produce to the market. I saluted the man and took his offer. His name was Ian Wilhelm and his farm was next to the land where the Regimen is organizing itself. Wilhelm served on the last war and he was then a farmer in the Belgium border. I sensed some irritation in his words, so I asked him on how is his farm since we came here.

"Your army was like the previous ones; they come and take what they need. That’s why I took out my produce to deliver here before any are taken by them. Civility was not something taught in the army and never was then when I was in it myself. I could see you are fighting for the country but is not a need to starve those you protect. We always said if you want to fight a war, do it in a foreign land. That way your family does not have to worry about losing their daily foods." The farmer was looking ahead on the road which the few organized squads are marching now to the Company's field. I can sympathize with him for in some of the field training sessions, we have raided farms for supplies but never to hurt them. It’s a game for us then to see how well we handle stealth tasks.

We soon reached my The company field and I asked him to stop.

"Please wait." I walked back to the Supplies Tent and requested for some meat sausages. The Sergeant did not ask me why and for whom, but he passed me the food. I walked out to the road but the old man was gone. I stopped the sentry who was stationed there.

"The old Man left soon after you walked in. He told me to tell you that you needed it more in the coming days." The old man could be right. The war has not started yet, and comforts like this could become a luxury by then. I walked back to the Supply Tent and returned the meat. I soon find myself looking for the Command Post.

On my way there, I stumbled on the medical tents and met Oberlieutenant Abel 'Doc' Lenger, our main surgeon of the Company.

"How are things, Doc?" He looked up from his reading of some notes when I asked him. He was a tall man with a lanky build but a set of sure hands that I had seen him take out spikes and bullets from the injured man as if he was playing a game of chess.

"They always looked fine in the early stages. Ask me again, after we been through some battles. Then I may tell you some real needs. Herr Hauptmann." Abel knew me since my University days and we both jumped to join the army two years ago after graduation. But life as a surgeon was not as lucrative as mine and fewer ranks to be filled in those five years since. Abel has disliked me for my advancement but he saluted me as his Commanding Officer.

"Just before you leave, I would like to inform you that I have one man in my tent for minor surgery. He stepped onto a hunter's trap and we need to remove the toes. He is our first casualty and the happiest I guess."

"Patch him up, Doc. Then send him to the Supply tent with a set of crutches. He would not need to fight until we need him unless he breaks his fingers. That is an order, Oberlieutenant." I did not wait for his reply as I walked away to look for the Command Post. I was going to fight a war and I cannot afford to lose any man to silly accidents. There would be a day when I would need them to fight even though they may be dying or blind, but as long as they can shoot or toss a grenade, they are my men to serve as soldiers.

I found the Command Post and reported in.

"Hauptmann Weiner. I am glad you made it. I thought you have joined Belgium and shoot at me next." That was Oberst Erich Kroner, my Division Commanding Officer and he hates my rank. A senior of mine who had served over eight years but those years of inactivity as a Senior Officer has made his look more like a trader with a fine taste for wine and food. One of his trademarks was his clean-shaven the head which he said was a result of the late-night thinking of how to win wars. I would have told him that it was removed by whoring activities that caused its demise from the roots.

I once caught him in the tent trying to make amends to his love life with his lover. He was on his knees and begging for him to come back. That other person was his personal de aide, Lieutenant Berm. I walked out immediately and did not report the incident. The next morning, Lieutenant Berm shot himself with the Luger 9mm. Not one knew why, and Erich did not mention anything.

Since that day, I have been the target to check on any irregularities or misconduct in this Division. I became the whipping boy of the Division.



Erich Kroner, Oberst

The bastard arrived as per schedule. I was hoping his train load would have been delayed and I would be marching without his men. Since that day, he has seen my affinity and caused my lover to commit suicide for shame. This was unforgivable in my books; not so for a son of a watchmaker from Berlin. I am the product of a third-generation trader of goods, but my family decided that we need to have a more renowned career line to boost our name. Hence I was sent to Military School and trained to be an officer. I was the best in my class and my skills as a marksman had no equal until this son of the watchmaker arrived. Ever since he walked into the Academy, he had stood out among the rest of us. He was taller and build stout with the Nordic looks. I could have sworn if there were ladies in our Academy, he would break a number of their hearts. He broke mine though, and it was my first love in the military; the art of marksmanship. He broke my two year’s record in his first attempt and has been above me since that event. It was not his worst misconduct but the one where he walked in on my tent unannounced that I find him totally disgusting. I never forgive him for Berm's suicide; we would had reconciled that night if not for Peter. But the coming war presents a lot of opportunities to have someone to be killed even in friendly fires.

I would have mine soon. And it won't be painless.

"Gentlemen, now that Hauptmann Peter has agreed to join us, I would unveil the great plan of General Von Kluck. It’s part of his great idea under the "Schlieffen plan. We would be the move through neutral Belgium and down to Paris from the North. This is to be done with stealth and quick moves.”

“From our sources in the Intelligence sections, we may be up against the British Expedition Forces (BEF) alongside the French soldiers. But if we moved fast, we would meet them only at the border of Belgium-France. We are part of the First Amy Corps under General Von Kluck. We would be mobilized at dawn when all the other The regiments are here. Good luck, gentlemen."

I looked at the company of my staff leaving my tent. I smiled at them as I have known some of them for several years now; both as cadets and later officers. Some of them deserved better posting but the openings in the army were not many during peacetime. They have proven themselves as exemplary officers and held the colors of the Division high in many areas. It would be sad to see some of them leave for other Divisions or Regiments as the numbers dwindled in the real war. That is something which I have to accept and hopefully, the new ones would be as competent.

During peacetime, most leaders would come up with plans for those contingencies days when the need to use it may arise. The good ones are praised for their strategic benefits and above all, it would win the conflict. Germany was not afraid of any war but they would like to see it ended quickly and with the least casualties. So they planned for these conflicts against their rivals, France and Russia.

It was this call that the Germany Army Chief of Staff, Alfred von Schlieffen was asked to plan a way of preventing a war on two fronts. His initial plan was produced late in 1905. He believed that it was a priority to defeat France quickly, forcing them to surrender before Russia had a chance to mobilize her armed forces. It called for an attack through Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg – the Benelux countries to reach Paris before the Russians can mobilize for war. The General's successor, Von Moltke made some alterations to the plan, by avoiding Holland, and instead concentrating attack through Belgium. Its the fastest way to take over Belgium which would be weak to defend its land against the overwhelming strength of the German Empire. Then the army would march into Paris within ten days. The German Empire would have reached the seashores of Dunkirk by then and prevent the British Expeditionary Forces (BEF) from landing. Holland would succumb by the show of the German mobilization and Europe would be part of the German Empire.

It was a brilliant plan and we were one of the first Regiments to put it into effect in a short time.

"Henri, bring me my schnapps. I am in the mood to celebrate." Gemeiner Henri; my replacement aide for Berm brought me my drink. He was a nice boy and he obeys his orders without question. He does not need me to beg him for his love. He was my love slave. "Fasten the flaps. I do not wish to be disturbed."



Abel Lenger, Surgeon

I place the scalpel down and turned away. I nodded at the nurse who would take over from me. I have removed the mangled toes and flesh, leaving the man a stub for his left foot. Now the nurses would wrap it and sent him to the Infirmary Tent. He would be kept sedated for now and by the time he wakes up, we would be moving to the front with the Dressing Station. He will ride on one of the supply wagons then back to the Divisional Aids Station where they can recover or be sent back to their home city.

I liked the job as a surgeon, and I liked the saving of lives.

But I did not plan on doing it in a live war.

I am a healer, not a killer.

I thought we had enough war since the Franco-Prussian one. But the leaders are always on the need to fight and conquer. They may do so but they forget that war costs live. Life's which I sometimes had to try to save so that they can fight tomorrow after recovery. I cared about my patient and I am concerned about their recovery. I made it a point to save every life that lies on my operating table. I gave them my best and I have not lost a single soul as yet. That's peacetime when the saving rate was very high compared to the wartime. I had seen reports on wartime and the surgeons were rare and overworked. We normally split into two groups; minor and major sections. I was with the major section where the wounds are more fatal.

I spoke to one who had served in the fatal section during the early stages of the war; he told me of desperate moments when you are needed in three or more ops at the same time.

“Make your own choice. Don’t them officers dictate your choice.” The other told me. “It’s not the officer that wins the war but the soldier.”

The doctor told me that once he cut into a patient who has not to be prepared for surgery. There was no time to prepare the patient but to the removal of the bullet then.

“Forget the rules and regulations. A little pain won’t kill them. Take care of the possible infections.” Many patients died from such contamination. Most patients will recover in due time and would be sent back to the fight the war only to die the next day.

That's the reality of wartime, and that was my first experience in it. He also warned me of locating my dressing station near the main roads or in farmhouses.

“Do not mark it to be obvious; no one really respects the Red Cross flag.”

The wounded soldiers can locate us anywhere but during the war, we need to locate the Divisional Aids station as that's where we get replenish on the stocks. They can be hard to find during the war, and more so when we are in the front. The good doctor said do what you can to save lives, even its mean being inhumane to cries of pain. I hope I can do it as well as I was in peacetime.

"Herr Doctor, we are moving out at dawn. Shall I dismantle the Dressing tent?" I looked at the orderly who asked me and nodded. Finally, we are to move with the army to the front.

"If there is any new patient, we would do it on the wagon." I replied to him and he laughed at my so-called joke. But I was not joking then, I was being serious.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...