Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Trevor Kantner; Detective Tales 1 Chapter 1


One of my earlier tales from the earlier years when I took to writing. The character was based on Sherlock and it was fun there. 

Its not the better of works but it was in my archive till now. These are short tales. 

Please enjoy while I get my life straighten up. And watching reruns. Oh....coming to scene when the heroes shoot the terrorists. Pardon me, I will leave now. The next scene is the ..... I won't tell you yet. That will be a spoiler. 

Cheers




1.

I am not without any free time but there was one morning, which I had decided to lay for a more leisure hour. I do missed my air conditioning room, but this one had been bearable if you can excused the smog that came with the breeze. That leisure morning was disrupted by the frantic knock on my bedroom door.

"Allie, be up as you are needed." I pranced up in the bedclothes I was used to by now; plain flocks sewn with threads that would last eternity time. I wondered if I would leave this one in a time capsule, maybe when I am back in my original timeline, I might had a fortune in my grasp.

"What ails you this morning, Sire?" I learned that from a flower girl I befriend on the street. It took aback my cousin Trevor who stepped back from my opened door.

"Allie, I would expected you to be dressed and not looked like a siren....pardon me, their dressing would be more appropriate given their intentions, but you are supposed to be up at the rise of the sun and be doing the chores." Trevor who had stood back from my door on the whiff of my morning breath.

Chores; yes. Those are my menial works that I promised Trevor I would performed for his willingness to take me on his cases. He was after all the infamous Trevor Kantner; detective and sleuth for King. For his unseen and unknown assistant, me the one who sometimes provided him some of those clues which would solved his case; are also given the task to maintain his daily life needs like laundry and cleaning.

"Would you Adam and Eve its passed my breakfast time?" I cursed him in my rendition of the Cockney phrases that I had picked up from the streets. It irks him that I have acquired such vocabulary against his more refined London accent. He left me by then, and I closed my bedroom door. I freshen myself up, clad my upper body into the tightness of the bodice that could squashed any more growth in me.

Soon, I was performing the chores and was added with the knock on the door knob. I doubt as always, the other two housemates of ours below, would do the chore of opening the door. So I dropped the cutlery that I was dispensing of the leftover crusts. I made my way down to the bottom of out three levels town house to reached the door. 

"Heaven prevail, please stop the knocking." I shouted out as I turned the knob on the door. I opened the door to see standing before; a well dressed lady complete with the layers of cloth and the round ring beneath it that was laced to her waist. 

"Good morning, I am in need to see Trevor Kantner." The lady spoke up. "My name is Lady Farley of Hershey."

Lady Farley of Hershey; I heard not of her. But if she was in need to see Trevor at this ungodly hours, then it shall be. I led her upstairs to the top most level which housed out unit. Trevor offered her the seat and as usual I am to stand. We are bare of anymore seats as Trevor preferred to have only two. He had never been convinced of otherwise and so I stood.

"Sir, I begged of you. Please save my husband, Ronnie of Hershey. He was abducted this morning not more than three hours ago at the corner of the theater." Lady Farley laid it all for my cousin and then reached for her purse. She drew up a promissory note which she handed to Trevor.

"It was issued by my husband to me for use in case of any need to get money should he be away." Lady Farley extended it out again. "It was endorsed by the Bank."

"Hold on, my Lady." Trevor spoke up as his hand stopped her from handling over the note. "How did you get to know of my name?"

"I apologies. It was from Lady Tweedle, who asked me to see you." I remembered Lady Tweedle; the wife of the senior Inspector from Scotland Yard. We met a few times at the society functions; ever a helpful lady who was willing to offer her assistance. It can't be helped as her husband held such an esteemed position at the Yard.

"Okay, pray tell me from the beginning." Trevor was willing to assist, if the request came from Tweedle or more now from the wife this time. But if he does do good, then the good news would pass to Tweedle and more works could come.

"Ronnie, my husband is a businessman who lived in Hershey but comes to this side of London daily to do his works. He leaves the house before dawn and comes back after tea; all days except the day we go to Church." Lady Farley explained her plight. "He did this morning as usual but he was not to know that he had left his hat. I tried to catched him at the station but he was gone. I took the next train with intention to surprised him. When I arrived, I asked the porters if they seen my love. One of them recognized him, and directed me the theater."

"I followed on in the hansom, and soon dismount there. I looked around to find his office as told to me by himself but I could not see it. I soon walked around, and was surprised to see a man resembling him was silhouette at the upper window of a rundown building. I called out his name in panic. And that panic was addressed to me when it was him who leaned over the window. He saw me and then was seen to be pulled in by someone. I rushed to the building but found myself blocked by a ruly man who refused me entry."

"I made a scene and that attracted a constable who was kind to lift the barrier that prevented me from going up. I was greeted by the sight of vagrants and more unmentionable ladies. I made my way up but I was almost pushed off by a departing vagrant. I composed myself and reached the landing which I saw my husband but he was not there. There was a note there for me along with his clothes. I took both with me."

Lady Farley handed over the note. It was written on it these words in pencil; "Bring a hundred or he dies." A moderate wealth amount but a hefty sum for ransom.

"Sir, I am willing to pay you hefty for the return of my husband. Haste or he may perish at their hands." Lady Farley extended the promissory note again.

I almost puked when I saw my cousin took the note. We are not short of cash; I may be as I am reliant of him for my allowance, but should we not be helping the needy instead of taking their money. I seen Trevor do charity works but not his time. Lady Farley left our unit and I confronted him.

"Why did you take her money?" I asked as if I still believed that we can live on smog and water.

"She offered us money; money which she can afford so I took. I only do charity when the other cannot afford." Trevor saw through my expression. "Drop the apron and lets be off. We got a case to solve."


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...