Friday, February 17, 2017

Arthur; The Legend and Myths Chapter 68

68.
Gawain stood before the same drawbridge that he had crossed over recently and there he was looking at it. It was still lowered and the lonely man servant stood there holding the two grey hounds.
“You came back for them?” The servant asked. “I know my lady will not be without them. They were bred from the first pair given to her by the mother. It was rumoured that the hounds attacked the others for they were sincere with my lady. Hounds are able to tell if you are sincere.”
With that the servant released the hounds to Gawain. The hounds ran off in pursuit of their mistress before Gawain could take pursuit. He was to kick at his horse when the servant stopped him.
“Take the leash. They will come to you.” The servant tossed the leash over.
Gawain rode off in pursuit. He caught up with her with the hounds. That was not all.
There was another person next to her. He was wearing armour with the long spear and shield. On his shield was the emblem of the red soaring dragon.
“Halt! Whoever you are, that lady is mine.” Gawain approached the knight with Helene. He was annoyed when he saw the other knight stood before Helene to confront him.
“Step forth and I will force to fight you.” Gawain retreated for he was nor attired to fight the knight. He had on his own sword and the one given to him by Sir Haught with a round shield he picked from within the castle. It was a small rounded shield with cracks on the sides. It was hung on the horse saddle.
“I can’t fight you….not yet for I am without my armour and this shield is not adequate. Please allow me to retrieve mine and we will fight.” Gawain displayed his lack of amour to the knight. It was in the code of chivalry that the battle between the two should be fair.
“I will not fight you but the delay is uncalled. I will ask the lady to decide to whom she will follow.” The knight replied before he looked at Helene. “It’s your call, my lady. Do you yield to me or him? For love or for a life of adventure of untold pleasures?”
“Damn you, Sir. She is my love and you have no right to tempt her with your …lustful thoughts.” Gawain shouted out but he was then taken aback by Helene’s reply.
“I will follow you, Sir Knight. I cared not for the man who does not defend his lover.” Helene looked at the knight.
“Helene, my bride. How could you …forget our union of love?” Gawain spoke out in dismay at the choice made by Helene. “You mentioned to me that I am your true love and ….”
“A coward who won over my father’s heart to marry me. The marriage was not my idea but his …vile plans to seek the husband for me. I cared not for his choice but to be released by the curse he set upon me.” Gawain could had felt the sword in his hand moved but his firm hands held it in the scabbard. “Once was not of love but of convenience. I am out of the castle and from him with the curse.”
“Take me away, Sir Knight. I desired to …be.” Helene told the knight. She then turned to the hounds that she had grown up with. “Come to me, my darlings. We can be away from this place. Meet your new master.”
The hounds stood on their limbs and their nose perked up to the new master. The one on the left then turned to look at Gawain and then back at their mistress.
“Come to me, hounds.” Helene commanded but the hounds were un-decisive. They began to pace in circles and then the whimpering began. “Come with me…please.”
The knight grew impatient then turned his horse to leave but Helene refused to ride.
“The hounds go with me or I will stay.” Helene glared at Gawain. “They are mine and you do not deserve them. You ….bastard.”
Helene’s curse resounded into Gawain’s ears and he sat there disbelieving that the lady he had spent a week together was not the same one then.
“You changed…” Gawain could not find the words to describe her. “You..”
“Fight him. Kill him if you want me.” Helene told the knight. “Do it or I …”
The knight saw the anger in Helene and then in him at Gawain.
“Fight me, Sir for the lady’s honour.” The knight reared his horse to stand on two rear limbs. “Fight or die now.”
Across the land nearer to Camelot, King Arthur rode with Lancelot to confront the disgruntled knights. There were five of them with a following of sixty foot soldiers and servants. Arthur saw Percival there with two other knights. He rode up and then spoke to the leader of the disgruntled knights.
“I am King Arthur, and to whom am I addressing?”
“I am Sir Perimones, leader of the Red Knights of Kukumerland. We rode far to be here and served with you but we were treated as vagrants by your servants.” The knight approached Arthur. “Do you as the host have nothing to offer us except the grass and water for our horses?”
Arthur looked to the other with detailed study of the armour worn. He had not heard of the Red Knights or of Kukumerland but if he were to be rude to them, he may lose them and others that were friendly to them. He wanted to ride them out for battle but he have to consider the army strength and also of his own. He had rested but the pondering thought in his mind then was also of Guinevere.
She is with his child.
Arthur must plan his moves soon.
“My apologies, Sir Perimones. Let there be a feast for all.” King Arthur announced for all to hear.
“A feast?’ Lancelot was taken aback. He had brought Arthur there to quell unrest and the later offered a feast. It was unexpected. The servants were rumbled to prepare the feast and it was to be held in several spots to cater for all. Fresh meats were brought in by the hunters and wines were drawn from the cellars. Within hours, the plains before Camelot were field of festivities with the merriment then.
“Tell me, Arthur.” Sir Perimones then having one too many goblets asked the other. “How did you become King?”
Arthur having just recovered held his drinks to the minimum were sobered then. He was to reply when Lancelot cut in. The later was not sober and he staggered over with the goblet of wine.
“I …” Lancelot was cut off by Arthur who in turn replied.
“I was anointed by Lord Pendragon himself.” Arthur replied. Then he added to that were these words. “I am only called Arthur by those seated by me at the round table. For the others I am to be called King Arthur.”
“King? Oh yes, King Arthur.” Sir Perimones raised his goblet to the King. “I bid thee with my goblet, King…Arthur.”
Sir Perimones gulped the drink and then he turned the goblet upside down.
“Were you Pendragon’s son? I heard he had none.” Sir Perimones laughed out but the others seated there were silent and watching Arthur for his reaction. Arthur reached for his own goblet and then raised it.
“To Pendragon whom was my King.” Arthur lowered the goblet towards his lips but his hand was grabbed by Sir Perimones.
“He is not mine.” Sir Perimones voiced out in the drunken slur. “I am my own King.”
Sir Perimones then grabbed the goblet from Arthur’s hand and poured the wine onto the ground.
“I am King.” It was then Percival thrust the dagger into Sir Perimones’ left ribs and pierced the heart. He then pushed the dying knight to the floor. Swords and daggers were drawn on all sides including Sir Perimones’ friends but it was Lancelot who then spoke up. He was holding his goblet while his left hand rested on the hilt of his sword.
“Take heed of this everyone. We are in the court of King Arthur. His kingdom and his land. You do not come into your host’s home and insult his wellbeing. You do so only if you meant to court him to battle you.” Lancelot had then sober then. “You can do that in your house but in Camelot, the King had more than twelve knights to battle for him. I am for one and Percival another.”
“We will all die for the King.” Lancelot sounded then melodramatic. Surprisingly, none of the knights associated with the dying knight stepped forth.
“Anyone ready for another round of drinks?” Lancelot offer was taken up. Arthur pulled Percival aside.
“Why did you do that?”
“Discipline. That’s how we do it in the Legion. Now we are back there. And you are the Legate. So owned up or step down as King.” Percival then walked away. “Don’t be pathetic….my King.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...