Friday, February 17, 2017

Arthur; The legand and Myth Chapter 67

67.
Galahad rode out of the village soon after he met the Friar at the Chapel. He had wanted to go there to ask God for mercy for Gawain. He loved his brother but there was no way he can find him. He had wanted to seek God for that answer but he found instead was pain.
“Galahad, you are mad to think of her!” The young man screamed his heart out. He was upset that Lynette chose the other for him. He had loved…no he liked her for during the first kiss and loved her on the second one but she never kissed him the third time. He had to kiss her since then, and it was all in his dreams. He thought he will surprise her with his elevated position but he was one of three in Ceredig. To add insult he was the youngest.
He was also the smallest.
He was losing to them either in the physical fights
His mind made up then.
He had to grow up on his own.
In Camelot, a lady was reviewing her decision to be there.
Morgan Le Fay looked at the one whom she had named as Master. She had contemplated her decision to be there for some time. She had issues with her sisters and above it all, she was also the daughter of Pendragon. Life was all fine until the emergence of the one named Arthur. With Arthur in their lives, everything changed.
Elaine found love with one named Lancelot. He was Arthur’s knight. Even the wedding was sanctioned by their mother Lady Igraine.
Morgause had become a recluse into her own world. Morgause was her friend most time. They argued but between sisters, it never lasted overnight. More to it, she had become the new Queen’s friend. And was no more the sister that Morgan had.
The new Queen was not one whom you want to meet. She was a bitch and ever will be. She was sent off to the remote place to grow up decently as per the command of Lady Igraine. And it was she who commanded that she return to be the Queen for Arthur.
Even when she asked to be an apprentice for Merlin, the druid was on the run when Arthur called.
Why Arthur? Was it because he is the King? When Lord Pendragon called, not everyone came running. He had to wait at times.
Morgan Le Fay seated there with her hands clenched over the pages from the volume.
It was not fair to her.
Arthur ought to love her.
She wanted to be Queen.
On the drawbridge at Sir Haught’s castle, Sir Haught marched ahead of Gawain and his daughter Helene. He stood at the edge of the drawbridge. Gawain stepped forth with his horse. He stopped by the other knight and then he looked at Helene.
“It’s okay, son. You don’t have to explain too much.” Sir Haught spoke out. “You are a knight of the round table and more so Arthur needed you.”
“I am sorry, Sir… I hold no words for your gratitude and a daughter I will value for the rest of my life.”
“Please do make it any more difficult. I will move on soon after you leave. I will leave the castle intact for you in case you returned.”
“Father, we need to go.” Helene snapped in. She was so different from the lady Gawain met a week ago then. She was not only vibrant but also happier. Gawain thought it was the love he shared with her but she was persistent in getting everything done fast. He was exhausted by her insistence.
“Yes you must go.” Sir Haught took to his own mount. “I need to be away to …reflect on things. But before you go, please take this gift.”
Sir Haught handed over the sword in the scabbard. It was the one that was over Helene’s bed.
“It was her mother’s and she did tell me to give it to the man who wed her daughter.” Gawain looked at the sword in his hand and was unsure if he was to return it or keep. It was Helene who decided for him.
“Thanks, father.” Helene pulled Gawain by the shoulder. With that the young couple took to their mounts and rode off. It was a short ride when Helene recalled that she left something behind.
“My hounds. I need them with me.” Helene then told Gawain to fetch them. “You will do so.”
It was a command then and for some reason, Gawain did as he was told.
Meanwhile back at Camelot, Arthur paced the chamber with great impatience. He had called for Merlin and the other was late. He was to holler at the servants when Guinevere turned up.
“I asked for Merlin and not you.” Arthur snapped at her. “Where is he?”
“I am here, my King.” Merlin stepped in soon after Guinevere. “I was in attendance to the Queen then…”
“And who is the King? Me or her?” Arthur was in a foul mood. He was like that since the recovery and more so when the knights were not reporting to him
“You..” Merlin was to reply when Guinevere replied instead.
“I am with our child. He was helping me.” Guinevere voiced out. “If you have an issue with that, then talk to our child.”
Arthur was stunned for a moment. He was not prepared for that. His last child was never seen by him. He turned to look at her and saw Merlin made his way leaving the couple alone.
“Why did you not tell me? Why does not anyone tell me? I am …”
“The father of the child in me. You are now informed.” Guinevere stepped to the far wall and found herself a seat there. “You were not yourself since….”
“I was not. I was …” Arthur saw the tears welled in Guinevere’s eyes. “I am sorry. I did not mean to be that …”
“You are not the Arthur I married. He was kind and …understanding.” Guinevere drew on her sympathetic words to reach him. “I…”
Arthur came towards her and went down on one knee. He cradled his head on her thighs.
“Say no more, my Queen. I am forever yours.” Arthur whispered to her. “I was …selfish in my role. My duly apologies for it. The war ….”
“The war is what you always speak about. Was it that important compared to your child and the mother?” Guinevere pushed his head off and stood up. Arthur held out his arms to hold her to him.
“Forgive me, my Queen. I do beg of you.” Arthur pleaded. “I am so sorry.”
Guinevere reached down and held the man who is King. She held him closer to her and let him feel the loneliness that she felt. She knew that he was not wrong for he is the King. The King had more than his share of love for the Queen; he holds the love of a nation. She knew all that and yet she craved her love from him will be whole and not shared. She had loved some men before but none have proven their love for her was wholesome. It always bordered on some other needs.
Guinevere was to speak when the door was knocked on.
“My King, we have a revolt in the knights.” Lancelot was the one who hammered the door. Arthur stood up and then told Guinevere that he was to leave.
“I must stop this.” With those words, King Arthur left his Queen standing alone.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...