Sunday, February 12, 2017

Arthur; The Legend and Myth Chapter 64

64
Arthur heard the door to his personal chamber opened and in came his lover and Queen. She stepped over to the dressing table and removed the cone hat. She did not speak a word but her eyes were on the King by the window opening.
“She is leaving.” Arthur spoke up. “I am not surprised at her visit but what she wanted…”
“She asked on your invasion plan. Do you intend to invade Scotland?” Guinevere replied. “I told her yes and the other so named allies unless they addressed their loyalties to you and only you.”
“You learned well, my Queen.” Arthur replied.
“I have learned well at the home of Duke Cador. He allowed me to confer with the advisers on matters relating to the people and also the land.” Guinevere smiled. “I was also told by the others that if the King was to rule he needed to be tough and commanding.”
“I will and was a Centurion.” Arthur recalled the days when thousands reported to him. He was a tough Centurion then but since he left he had shed his previous self. He had tried to become a friend to those around him and even hold a round table to showcase his new self. The last battles made him revert to his old self.
“Are you going ahead?” Arthur nodded to her question. He had to because like what they taught him at the Legion.
“Held nothing back.” The trainer told him then at the training ground at the Academy. He crouched onto his knees and looked at the other standing in front of him. The trainer was at the left but his opponent had just floored him with a hard punch. The other guy was bigger than him and more vicious.
“You can’t fight and you die.” The trainer hollered out. It was the word ‘die’ that made him shudder. He does not want to die. Not like that. He charged at the other with a body slam at the midriff. He did not stop there and went with the punches. He was then dragged off the other but by then his fists was bloodied. He then saw the other was lying down unmoving. More trainers came and then he was dragged off. Later he was to know that the boy was send home. He was told by the trainer.
“You send one of the best.” The trainer then began cursing. “You send my son back. You bastard.”
The trainer went for Arthur and they both collapsed. He took a few blows and then his instinct kicked in. He blocked the blows and then he fought back. He was kicking and punching somehow that worked before he rolled away. He crouched up and saw the trainer lying back with the right eyes bloodied. In his punches, Arthur had punched the eye. He stood up and felt the bruises. It enraged him and then he charged at the trainer. He used his right feet to step on the trainer’s neck. He crushed the air passages and kept on stepping.
“Held nothing back!’ Arthur hollered out.
It was his father who helped him get back into the Academy.
“Arthur!” Guinevere called out to Arthur. “You are talking to yourself.”
Guinevere held her lover in her arms. He was shaking then. She then called out for the one person who could help.
“Merlin!’Get me Merlin!” Guinevere hollered.
Just then in the forest near Ceredig, Gawain had sat up on the chair near the bedding with the bed cover as his clothing. Helene was seated on the bedding covered in her gown and thick coat she had retrieved in the chamber. It was after all her personal chamber.
“Did that sword…” Gawain was unbelieving at the wound on his thigh.
“Yes, it did. The sword was my mother’s from her mother. She was a warrior then too like her mother before she loved my father. She died when I was born. She swore to protect me.”
“Yes, but why the …”
“There is a curse that my mother made. She had vowed that no man will touch me until he is my worth. It was my father who designed the test. He was worthy of my mother and he did not touch her till they were worthy of each other.”
“So you offered your body and yet you claimed your virtue with the sword to protect you. How many have you …the men have …”
“Seen me? There were about twenty that I shared my bed. All those men had no virtue or understood it. I …”
“Enough! I will sit here tonight.” Gawain held the bed cover close to him. It was dawn when he woke up. He saw Helene was sleeping on bedding. He heard the door latch being lifted and then Sir Haught stepped in.
“Oh my goodness!” Sir Haught stepped in smiling. “I have thought you be…”
“Dead? I was certain but I disliked being cut.” Gawain replied. “May I have some clothes?”
In Camelot, Lancelot and Percival stood near the wall while they watched Merlin administered potions into their King. Guinevere sat nearby the bedding. They were the only ones there. Lamorak and Tristam were outside the castle with the new knights Sir Kay had taken off on a personal errand. So was the Black Knight. King Ban and Bors were at their own castles.
“How is he?” Lancelot stepped forth to ask with his question towards Guinevere.
“I don’t …” Guinevere was interrupted by the druid.
“Arthur is fine. He is just exhausted.” Merlin spoke up from the bedside. “He had been busy with the preparation for war.”
“Thanks, Apollo for that.” Percival recalled the Roman God in his prayer but the druid shot him down.
“Apollo had nothing to do with him. It’s rest and care that he should have now.” Arthur blasted out. “Don’t you think the others like yourself should be more troubled with the preparation? Arthur is the King and not the Legate on the field. He is akin to …”
“Caesar?” Lancelot cut in. “I hold your words, Druid. We will do our part more…intensely now.”
With that Lancelot left the chamber and was followed by Percival. Guinevere looked at the druid and questioned him.
“The King lies there and you ridiculed his leaders? Truly, Merlin you are without …”
“I am a druid and above it all, Arthur’s guardian and adviser. His wellbeing is my concern. If I am to speak for him, then I shall which I have done. His knights are here idling and fighting among themselves. They do not serve the King but to ride with him for glory and gold.”
“Nevertheless, they are his knights. He needs to show his …” Guinevere defended the King.
“He is the King and as King, his command will serve as his presence.” Merlin replied. “As for you, I will suggest that you take more rest. It may be the heir of the throne that nurtured inside you.”
Guinevere was taken aback by the words of the druid. She had not shown any signs of sickness or discomfort and yet the druid says she was with a child.
“Trust me, my Queen. There are always some words of truth in me.”


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...