Sunday, February 19, 2017

Arthur: The legend and myth Chapter 69


69.
Gawain blocked the thrust by the spear when the knight rode past him. He had dropped the shield and used the sword given to him as one including the scabbard. He stepped back and saw the knight reined in the horse before turning to face him. They have fought for some time then and Gawain lost his mount to the limp. He discarded the shield then and decided to fight on his feet. The knight had made several passes by then and each time, Gawain blocked the attack.
“I will fight you on your term.”  The knight dismounted before he tossed the spear and shield. He pulled at his sword and then approached Gawain. The armour on the knight was designed to protect the rider more on the mount than on ground. It was however fine for rider was protected by the extra lining of metal but it difficult to move against without it. The compensating part for the armour knight was his heavy long sword which he wield with both hands.
“Yah!” The heavier sword of the knight struck at scabbard of the sword held by Gawain. The later felt the blow riveting on the scabbard but the tough material held. He rolled the side and swung the scabbard at the knight’s right knees where it was exposed. The scabbard hurt the knight who had then fell on his right knee. It was then Gawain thrust the scabbard at the knight in the side of the neck where it was exposed. The knight cried out and dripped his sword to remove the helmet. It was the moment that Gawain was waiting for then. The sword in Gawain hand appeared swiftly and with one stroke, the knight was lying down then with a nasty cut on the right shoulder.
“You are not the first knight I fought.” Gawain then stood up and saw Helene looking at him. “He won’t die. Not just yet. Take him to the healer.”
“Gawain, I barely know him. Please …” Gawain ignored the one he thought had loved him back as he did. He did not look at her and approached the limping horse. He took the reins and took the horse to walk.
“Gawain, you can’t….”
It was not a decision then. It was the will of the heart.
A very painful one.
Just as then in Camelot, Arthur stormed his way to Merlin’s chamber. The later was checking some passages on the volume with Morgan Le Fay. Arthur hollered out to Morgan to leave.
“Leave us now.” Arthur held the door opened and the lady took to her heels. He closed the door and then faced Merlin,
“Am I your King?” Arthur asked. “Don’t answer me…..No, you ought to know. You were there to put me on this track. I was to be King.”
“Arthur, you are unwell. You need to rest.” Merlin approached the man he had placed to be King. “You need…”
“I need respect, Merlin. Let me relate to you what is happening.” Arthur stepped away from the doorway and took to the other side of the chamber. “I was made King and I called for a war that had yet to ….start. The knights came a calling to my banner. Camelot could not accommodate them and they took their tents outside. They stayed and waited for the war which I was … to start where they can do their best at it.”
“Merlin I waited on because I was not sure how many in the army I need. I was concerned every other day and I questioned my own knights for they were not preparing like me. I sent them to the other knights and they come to me on petty issues. I was sent to rest and more trouble brewed. I granted them a feast and one even tried to usurp me. I could not …”
“I heard Percival stopped the other. The words out that Lancelot covered for you.” Merlin replied.
“Guinevere is with my child.” Arthur lashed out then. “I ….”
“You are afraid to be King and ….father.” Merlin replied. “You are pathetic.”
Arthur turned and leaned on the wall. His head sank to his arms. Merlin did not want to move but he held back. He had been around many leaders and even at their darkest moment when they are no more the leader, they were then mere boys with pain.
“Merlin, I am most comfortable when I am in battles but waiting for one most times. I need this war to start now or not never.” Arthur spoke out from the quiet corner. “And Guinevere…”
“I will take care of her. Just get your war started. Collect your army when you marched and reinforced when you fight.” Merlin voiced out in a fatherly manner with the low tone but resounding across the distance between them.
“Merlin, I am unsure…” Arthur sank to his depression but Merlin needed the man back.
“Arthur, you are the right one. Don’t let yourself be defeated.” Merlin then took the few steps towards his care. “You must not give up. You have been through worse.”
“Stop it, druid. I am not one of your…” Arthur glared at Merlin.
“No, you are my King and I will listen to your ….proclaimation.”
“Take care of Guinevere. I am also leaving Lancelot and …Percival here.”
Arthur was not the only one to encountered doubts.
Gawain was riding alone in the forest when he met Galahad approaching in the opposite direction. He reined in his new mount and waited for Galahad.
“Galahad, where are you headed?” Gawain asked but the other ignored him and rode past him. Gawain wanted to give chase but he did not. It was the hounds that followed Gawain that intercepted the mount rode by Galahad. The hounds stopped the mount and it almost threw Galahad off. Gawain rode over and grabbed the horse reins to calm it down.
“Galahad, it’s me Gawain.” The later dismounted and then walked towards a tree where he slumped at the roots. The youngest of the three had the look unseen since they lost their mother.
“Why are you here?” Gawain asked of the brother who had remained silent. “Are you in any trouble? Or Gaheris?”
Gawain saw the pain expression and then asked.
“Are you in any fight with Gaheris? The two were almost at each other when Gawain was not around. “Was it Lynette?”
Galahad looked to his brother, and the other sigh at the possibility.
“Lynette is only one of many and why must you fight with him over her? Is she worth the issue?” Gawain then swallowed his own words on his earlier battle with another over the lady. He had thought she was the one and yet he was betrayed.
“Galahad, women like them cannot be trusted. You must move on. Find yourself one that is worthy of your love.” Gawain felt a tinge of sourness in his tone when he spoke those words. “Go and find yourself.”

With that, Gawain took to his mount to return to Ceredig. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...