Friday, February 10, 2017

Arthur; The legend and Myth Chapter 63

63.
Guinevere stood on the chamber window and looked out. She saw the servants preparing the amours and weapons. Swords and spears were sharpened with the shields repaired with reinforced metal pieces. She looked out at the walls and beyond it. The forest tree lines were in the distance but between that was the line of tents there. The far out knights have ridden in with their servants and foots soldiers to join the coming battles. The words were out and everyday some knights rode in. It seems that every other one was a knight then, but their code of chivalry was misread by them. There were the fights and at times with weapons which where Arthur’s own knights were at times had to intervene. The knights of Arthur castle or allies will sought them out and end the fights.
“Lady Guinevere, I am sorry to …” It was her maid servant Alicia and the lady cut off her in her words. Guinevere stepped away and looked at Alicia.
“Your bath is ready, my Lady. I am to tell you that Lady Igraine is waiting for you at the Main Hall.”
Guinevere took her bath with gentle care. She knew the lady will wait for her because she was the Queen.
“You took your time, Guinevere.” Lady Igraine started off with her commanding tone. She was seated there at the Main Hall at the available seat. She was watching the seat that was once her to sit but the era of Pendragon was over. “You may be the Queen now but I still hold the influence as the Lady Pendragon.”
Guinevere ignored the elder lady and then proceeded to her seat by the King’s throne. She was dressed to the maroon shade gown with the white bodice that appeared in a ‘V’ incline display. She had on a steep cone on her head with the same shade.
“It’s the latest in clothing. Do you like it?” Guinevere introduced her clothing to Lady Igraine. “The young and youthful will like it.”
“Guinevere, I come to speak to you on Arthur.” Lady Igraine voiced out in concern. “I want…”
“Lady Igraine, Arthur you mentioned is your King. He will be addressed as King Arthur.” Guinevere displayed her new position to the elder lady. They have not met on a direct basis except for the official functions which Guinevere was presented as the Queen.
“I am sorry, Queen Guinevere.” Lady Igraine knew her ways at the King Courts. “I am here on the request of some Lords and Kings…”
“Of which you may name them for me King Arthur to know.” Guinevere intervened.
“Uh, yes.” Lady Igraine glared at the other. “It was King…”
“No bother. I will tell you. King Arthur is planning an attack on the allies of the Anglo Saxons.” Guinevere intervened and then stood up. “He favours them as enemies for they had once colluded with the Anglo Saxon.”
“The allies? They were few but some of them were vassals or by force impression that they were allies.” Lady Igraine explained. “Scotland was of our ally, but he did allow them free passage.”
“Then Scotland will be the first to be invaded.” Guinevere replied. “None will spared until they have sown their loyalties to Arthur.”
“My Arthur.” Guinevere ended her words with that whisper.
“Guinevere, tell Arthur not to invite trouble. I speak plainly for those he had not fought before may be his nemesis today or tomorrow.” Lady Igraine voiced out in anger. “I know them too.”
Guinevere had ignored the elderly lady and walked off. Lady Igraine stood there in anger and then stormed off. She had then told her servants to send the messages to the Kings and Lords of Arthur intention. Her last instruction was to call for the Black Knight to her castle.
Meantime at the forest near Ceredig, Gawain sat at the long table in the hall with his host welcoming him. The host had then removed his armour and displayed a man of older age dressed in the dark blue tunic that reached his knees and the sandals. His expression was the deep sunken eyes and the high cheek bones and the short braided hair tied to the back.
“Please, dear Sir. Hold not your indulgence in the grand feast here.” It was a grand feast for two persons with the wild pheasant, the slab of mutton leg and the assorted side dishes with the fine wine. “I have seldom the need to hold one and it’s my honoured that you are here.”
The host was not alone for there were three servants in attendance but they were shackled at the legs. It did not missed the host’s observation and he explained
“They are my slaves and with my small numbers, I valued their lack of effort to leave unnoticed.” The host laughed. “Rest assured my treatment of friends may be more generous.”
It was then a lady of young age stepped into the hall wearing a yellow shaded gown with the beautiful green emerald necklace. Her beauty was expressed further with her smile on her lips that were marked by the reddish shade.
“My daughter, Helene. Please join us on the table. I will introduce you to Sir Gawain of Ceredig.” The daughter of the host took her place there and was to ask the father when he stopped her.
“Sir Gawain is an excellent fighter in our duel. I would had been defeated by him had he not spared me the mercy of facing one.” The host laughed while looking at Gawain. “He is an able man to be seated here.”
“Father, if I may…” The daughter once more tried to speak but was diverted to other issues.
“Serve our guest, my dear. Do indulge with the knight with our hospitality. You are safe here with two able knights.” The host once again praised Gawain. “No lion or dragon may snatch you off.”
“I will be honoured to protect you, my lady.” Gawain had then taken in by the beauty before him had expressed his protection. He was after all a knight of the round table and their code of chivalry was never to deny the distress of their protection. More to that, he was smitten by her beauty and he himself was without a companion saved for some bar wenches or farm ladies. He smiled when his mind lingered on the inviting gestures of those maids but he had held himself above the wants of a lustful endeavour.
The feast went well into the night with both the host and guest intoxicated with wine and food while the daughter had excused herself to her chamber.
“I can feel the night have drawn high above the treetops. I would like to call it the night and have you retire at the assigned chamber.” The host smiled. “You have been a good guest with your manners and wellbeing to me and my daughter. You have not shown any unwanted attention upon her and with your talks, you have shown yourself a man of good breeding.”
Gawain then drunk was to reply when the host signalled the servant to fetch the knight to his chamber.  He was shoulder carried by the servant and brought to the chamber. It was a personal chamber with the bedding there and the furnishings of one. There was one peculiar item that was uncharacteristic of the chamber. There was a sword in the scabbard on the wall before the bedding.
“A sword…” Gawain muttered out but was hushed by the servant.
“Behave yourself, knight. The chamber is bewitched for there were deaths here.” The servant once said that left in a hurry as if the banshee will appear there. Gawain was left seated on the bedding still in his clothes. He was to call the servant to undress him but he found no voice for it. He then pushed himself up to remove his clothing. He had then staggered across the chamber in his nude form towards the bucket. He stood over it and peed there. Once he had peed, he felt the relief on his head but his amorous feeling was very much intact.
“Hold onto your reins, horsey. I will soon have you washed with the cold water.”
“Perhaps I could wash you, dear knight.” Gawain was shocked by the voice and turned around. He saw then was the host daughter, Helene dressed in the fine silky night gown but the body was displayed through the flimsy material by the candlelight at the bedding. Gawain sight was betrayed by the arousal he felt then.
“My lady…” Gawain turned once more. He searched for a towel but there was none saved for another bucket of water. He reached for it and poured the content over his lower body. The cold water did deflated him and he used that to cover his modesty.
“I think you ….or I am in the wrong chamber.” Gawain replied and then moved towards her for his clothing.
“You are in the right chamber. My father had sent you here to be with me.” The lady spoke up. “He wants us to spend the night together however your action may be of yours to decide.”
“I ..I do not think so, my lady. I think I will leave you here and find myself another chamber to sleep in.” Gawain then side stepped towards the door and found it latched from outside. He turned to look at the lady who had then removed her gown and climbed on the bedding. She lay on the top with her hands and legs straighten. It also caused Gawain to feel his upright position was most uncomfortable. He approached the spot where he had discarded his clothing and found it a bucket covered with water.
“I can’t wear that…” Gawain muttered to himself. It was then the lady replied.
“Sir knight, you must joined me or you will freeze to death.” The lady rolled over to the other side before she pulled the bed covers over her. “I have warmed the bedding there.”
Without a hesitation, Gawain climbed in and held his side of the bed. He was most uncomfortable but then his mind gave him reason. There was a lady on the bedding and despite all his misgiving, she had offered.
“A naked body truly is an offering.” Gawain muttered to himself. His previous sojourn with the other maids was more of fast escapade with the hurried ploughing. It was not of his choice but he made it that way to avoid any committal of oaths. Or raging husbands.
Helene took the first move and turned towards him. She leaned over and kissed him on the left cheek. He felt it and then her lips trailed his face. He reached for the candle by the bedside but she stopped him.
“I want to see you and you of me.” With that Helene pushed the cover off her upper body and Gawain was soon smooching her with his lips. He climbed on top of her and let his hands roamed her body. When his hands strayed to her tunnel of love, she pulled away His persistent efforts were thwarted and then he sat up.
“Are you teasing me? Why can’t I touch you there?” Gawain asked. “We are naked. Or are you a virgin?”
“Sir Knight, you may touch me there but I feared that it may have retribution.” Helene looked away. “It’s my mother’s curse that if I am offered on the first night, the sword above us will kill you. It had killed over twenty of my suitors.”
Gawain looked at the sword in the scabbard. It looked like a good sword with the golden hilt and the scabbard was inlaid with gold braiding. It was not like the sword used Sir Haught which was longer and heavier. Those are the swords then favoured by the knights on mounts.
“And I thought it was a chamber adornment.” Gawain rolled over with his arms spread and it was incidental then he tougher her inner right thigh. Just then he saw the sword lifted from the scabbard and nicked his left thigh before it flew back.

“Ouch! That hurts.” Gawain reached for the wound. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...