Saturday, February 25, 2017

Arthur; The Legend and Myth Chapter 73

73.
“I want Colgrin captured dead or alive.” Arthur called out to his knights. The army had marched to York where they have besieged the city. Their leader was one named Colgrin, an Anglo Saxon who had once pillaged the land down south. “He is to be brought to me his head for I will display it for all to see who we have defeated.”
The assembled knights, Lords and Dukes all cheered the King. Arthur smiled and then he said.
“I have a need to have someone do a taks for me.” Arthur turned to one he felt the next task was to be taken. “I heard from my scouts that Colgrin had sent words to his brother, Badulph who is days away with an army of six thousand. More are to come from another name Cheldric from Germany with more reinforcements.”
Arthur looked past his trusted knights from Lamorak to the Black Knight. “I cannot have you away from here for I am in need of you in my siege. However I can spare one whom I trust. Duke Cador, can you lead a column of six hundred and three thousand foot soldiers to intercept the reinforcement?”
“My King, I may do as you ask but the withdrawal of such numbers may weaken yours. I begged of you to reconsider.” Duke Cador intervened. “We …”
“I am in siege now. The enemies have barricaded themselves inside. What matters to them if I am short by those columns as long as they are not seen leaving here. I will appear with my knights to parade before them lest they noticed we have wane in our numbers. You may do your task and return in triumph before they realized your departure. And do bring me a trophy that I will present to them on their so named reinforcement.”
With that Duke Cador sneaked off with the column of army that was to fight the reinforcement. It was reported later that Duke Cador had made his battle into a victory when he waylaid the superior Anglo Saxon army at the forest trail where they were ambushed on both sides. The surprised attack on the marching knights and foot soldiers soon scattered the survivals and put them to flight. The defeat was not told by Arthur to the besieged city but the Lord that led them had re-joined the brother when he found his way in a disguise as a harper.
“Brother, I have failed. My army routed but I am told Cheldric of Germany will be here. He brings with him six hundred sails with brave warriors.”
The Anglo Saxons were defeated but the Gauls were coming then to the fray.
“The Gauls with their ships are sailing down the river to reinforce the city.” The knights advised King Arthur. “We may need to lift the siege.”
“Then we will get more of our own men to fight them but not here anymore. I was told that Colgrin had slipped out during the night and sailed north. He flee his men to a fate of death. I wondered of the King as that if I was a knight with him.” Those words drew laughter then with King Arthur. “For our side, as your King,  I have news of the King Hoel is coming to join us with fifteen thousand men. He was convinced to join us for he was indebted to Lord Pendragon and with the old Kingdead, I will invoke that by me now.”
That drew on cheers from the assembled and soon the army began retreating to relieve the city Kaerliudcoit. Words have arrived that they were siege by the Anglo Saxons.
“None may besieged the allies of king Arthur!” That was the roar of the assembled when they arrived at the city and a battle to relieved the city took place. The Anglo Saxons numbered about six thousands were attacked by three times their numbers, retreated with many drowned in the two rivers that flowed near the city.
“I say, Kingsley. You are getting used to battle now.” Sam smiled at his friend when they took a rest from the pursuit of the enemy. “How is your wound?”
Kingsley had taken on another new wound at the left forearm. That time he had not the assistance of Sam but himself. He pulled the arrow out in spite of the pain, and tossed it away. He had then rushed at the bowman who was steps away from him trying nervously to notch another arrow. He thrust out the pike at the bowman in the chest and then he twisted his hands to cause more pain in the bowman. He then pulled the pike out with the innards of the dying man trailing the ground. He then stood there with the pike held upwards and screamed out the pain from his wound. It was much later when Sam found him.
“It will heal.” Kingsley looked to the flowing river which was then covered with bodies in its red shade. They died for the rewards of coins preferably gold ones but their earlier demise meant the coins were not to be paid, or shared by his living friends and not for his family.
“Where are my coins?” Kingsley asked of Sam. He had asked Sam to keep them for him. “I want to see them.”
“Now? You are mad. How …” Sam protested but Kingsley insisted. Sam relented and took the bags of coins to show Kingsley.
“Sam, return home with it. I will continue the fight.” Kingsley told Sam. “I can fight better than you. My wounds proved the point while you hid behind me looking for the openings to kill anyone I may have wounded.”
”Kingsley, I …” Sam defended his action.
“I am not a coward. I …”
“You will return with the coins. I will come back when I am ready.” Kinsgley stood up and then went on his way to find more fights. Sam picked up his pike and went the opposite way. It was then the shouts of victory were heard.
“The siege is over. We won.” It was the not the same in Camelot.
“My Queen, you must remain in bed.” The maid herself knew her words were meaningless and might as well be spoken to the walls. Queen Guinevere then heavier in her belly pulled herself up from the bedding to walk to the window. She looked outside and watched the treelines across the farmlands. She felt her loneliness and with the treelines and the sea on the other side, she felt besieged.
“He may not yet return, my Queen.” Merlin who had appeared then with his apprentice, Morgan Le Fay. “I received words that he is at the northern side battling the Anglo Saxons.”
“And why was I not advised on this?” Guinevere snapped out. “I am after all his Queen.”
“It was the …wishes of …” Merlin was cut off by Morgan.
“My master wishes to say that it was the decision of the knights of the round table. My master will confer with Lancelot on this.”
“It’s most obvious and thoughtful of him.” Guinevere replied coldly. “However I will be entertaining Sir Lancelot later today and will hear from him.”
“My Queen, you may not travel. Your body is …” Merlin protested then.
“Sir Lancelot will see me in this chamber and it will be private.” Guinevere told him. “And I mean its only..”
“Unallowable. You are the now the Queen and he cannot meet you alone.” Merlin told her. “It’s unallowed…”
“Then we shall meet with the servants conveying our replies from my bedding to the hall and back.” Guinevere was getting upset. “What do you think may happen here? I am heavy with a child and no man in his right mind will want me now lest of all my own King. Or perhaps you want me swatted with layers of cloth …”
“Stop it, Guinevere. Your behaviour are unbecoming of the Queen.” Morgan spoke out of line and was given a lashing from Guinevere.
“And you are addressing your Queen. Behave or….Never mind, if it was your sister Morgause, I will be tempted to have her banished like myself for being a slut towards my King.”
Morgan Le Fay upset than stormed off before Merlin could stop her. The later looked at the lady who was the Queen but no words came from his lips. It was she who continued on.

“Merlin, you may tell the King what happened here but bear in mind, I am still the Queen. And this unborn child is Arthur’s. Do not make me create a cycle in history for Arthur.” 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...