Monday, March 30, 2015

Coriolanus Act 5.2.1

Scene 5.2.1

The Volsces outpost

Menenius decided that the best approach was the frontal attack. He drove over in a open top vehicle; with no weapons on it, and appearing calm while he drove past the land under conflict. He took the precaution of placing a flag of truce just in case. He had seen what he think was a Volsces outpost behind the row of trees. He stopped his vehicle before he stepped out. He raised both his arms while he approached the trees.

“Who’s there?” The sentry hidden in the bush called out. He stepped out all dressed in camouflage and armed with a nasty looking blaster. The sentry was backed by two more others on his flanks.

“Well done. You guard like men. This is well, but I am here to parley. I want to see Coriolanus.” Menenius replied.

“From whence?” The sentry asked.

“From Rome.”

“You may not pass. You must return to Rome.” The sentry surprised Menenius when he refused the request. Menenius pressed forth by telling them his name, but they still refused.

“Be it so, go back. The virtue of your name is not passable.” The sentry replied.

“Aye, I tell you the General of yours is my lover.” Menenius smiled. “His fame unparalleled; aptly amplified; for I have. I will take my leave now but remember my name is Menenius, ever the General yearns for me again.”

“Howsoever, you have been a liar, as you are. I am telling the truth that you may not pass. Therefore go back.” The sentry repeated his order. He then looked at the old man. “Are you not a Roman?”

Menenius nodded to the sentry.

“Can you when you have pushed out your gates the very defender of them and in violent popular ignorance give your enemy shield, think to front his revenges with the east groans of old women, the virginal palms of your daughters? Can you think to blow out the intended fire your city is ready to flame in, with such weak breath as this? No, you are deceived. Go back to Rome and prepared for your execution. You are condemned, our General has sworn you out of reprieve and pardon.”

Menenius still stood his ground. He then saw Coriolanus and Audifius walking behind the trees. He called out to his friend. Coriolanus saw the old man and walked over.

“What’s the matter?” Coriolanus asked the sentry. Before the later was to reply, the old charmer walked past them to hug Coriolanus.

“I am here with an errand for you.” Menenius smiled at this protégé. He looked so well, ever comfortable in his battle fatigues. He was a man grown out of the uniform and not the other way around. “The glorious gods sit in hourly synod about thy particular prosperity, and love thee no worse than thy old father Menenius does! Oh, my son, thou had prepare fire for us; look thee, here’s water to quench it. I did not come easily, but being assured none by myself could …moved thee, I have been blown of your gates with sighs; and conjure thee to pardon Rome and thy petitionary countrymen.”

“Away!’ Coriolanus told him.

“How! Away?” Menenius replied. He was trying to find the friend inside the psyche of the soldier.

“My mother, wife and son, I know not their affairs yet are servant to others.” Coriolanus shouted back. “I owe my revenge properly, my remission lies in these Volsces bosom. Therefore be gone. Mine ears against your suits are stronger than your gates against my fore. Yet I loved thee.”

Coriolanus handed the piece of note to Menenius.

“Take this along; I have written it for you.” Coriolanus then whispered to Menenius. “I heard thee speak. This man, Audifius, was my beloved Rome and now.”

Coriolanus and Audifius left the old man standing there alone.

He was a dejected man; all alone with no more friends.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If some one desires expert view on the topic of running a blog then i suggest him/her to visit this weblog, Keep
up the pleasant job.

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...