Monday, March 30, 2015

Coriolanus Act 5.1.1

Act 5

Scene 5.1.1

Rome quivered in its foundation

Coriolanus was on everyday’s lips, not in awe but in fear. Many had packed their bags and left the city. The streets were deserted when it used to be covered by the traders and shoppers. That morning, the street had two irregular patrons who walked over to meet the other Consuls seated at the cafĂ© on the corner. One was in a hurry while the one tagging behind was seen dragging his feet. They were to see the others on some wild idea of which he had no part but included in the idea.

“No, I will not go.” Menenius was the one seen dragging his feet. He was not happy with the request which he had little or no say in the matter. “You hear what he had said of who was his general who had loved him in most dear. He called me father; but what of that? You go to had him banished him, a mile before his tent fall down, and knee the way into his mercy. If he coyer to hear you speak, I will keep at home.”

“He would not seem to know me.” Cominius replied but Menenius grew irritated at that lame excuse.

“Yet at one time, he call me by name.” Cominius looked to Menenius. “I urged our old acquaintance, and the drops that we have bled together. ‘Coriolanus’ I called him but he would not answer to; forbad all names; he was a kind of nothing until he had forged himself a name in the fire of burning Rome.”

Cominius did not hide his scorn of the ex-hero haunting them. Menenius drove on his earlier protest.

“You have made good work! A pair of …Consuls that have wrecked fair Rome to make coals cheap; a noble memory.” 

“I minded him how royal it was to pardon when it was less expected; he replied, it was a bare petition of a state to one whom they had punished.” Cominius defended his stand. “I offered to awaken his regard for private friends: his answer to me was he could not stay. For one poor grain or two, to leave un-burnt and till to nosed the offence.”

“For one poor grain or two! I am one of those; his mother, wife, his child, and this brave fellow too, we are the grains: you are the musty chaff, and you are smelt above the moon. We must be burnt for you.” Menenius drew his own view.
“If you refuse your aid in this never needed help, yet do not upbraid our distress. Sure if you would be your country’s pleader, your good tongue more than the instant army we can make to stop our countryman.” Sicinius told Menenius.

“No! I will not meddle.” Menenius shouted back.

“Pray you, go to him.” Sicinius pleaded. “Make trial what you love can do for Rome, towards Marcius.”

“Say that Marcius return with me; what then?” Menenius asked.

“Your goodwill must have that thanks from Rome after the measure as you intended well.” Sicinius affirm the welcome he would receive. The other Consuls all have the hang dawg expression that even a cat would had sacrificed a mouse to them.

“I will undertake.” Menenius sighed. “I  think he will undertake it. He may hear me. Yet to bite his lip and hum at good Cominius …much un-hearts me. I will watch him till he dieted to my request before I set upon him.”

“You know the very road to his kindness, and cannot lose your way.” Brutus added in his words. He smiled to the other Consuls to show them that he was there. It was a Consul personal fear to be ignored or forgotten.

“Good faith, I will prove him.” Menenius took his leave of the group. His walk was hailed by those there, and none commented on his butt which was quite apparent from the rear view. All except one who had ignored the departing man while he took a drink to soothe down his irritation at being singled out by Menenius.

“He will never hear him.” Cominius replied. He felt that his officers were close to him than their own self convinced fathers; especially one that was bedding the mother behind his back. He had once admired Volumnia but she had spurned his advances.

“Not?” Sicinius sounded his dis-believement.

“I tell you he sits on gold there; his eyes red as it would burn Rome, and his injury the imprisonment to his pity. I knelt before him; it was very faintly he said ‘rise’; dismissed me thus with his speechless hand. What he would do when all hope is vain, unless his noble mother, and his wife for mercy to his country.”


With that statement, Cominius took leave of the Consuls.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right hand hither is thee correct vane website for everyone WHO real wants
to line up tabu more or less this subject. You get it on a completely tidy sum its just about severely
to argue with you (not that I in reality would wish to...HaHa).

You surely commit a denounce recently reel on a topic that's been written just about for age.
Terrific stuff, hardly excellent!

Here is my weeb siteat twitter hack ()

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...