Thursday, March 19, 2015

Tweet...tweet 15,000 words in three nights...

After a slumbering period of three months, I think I am back on the roll. I done 15K words in a row over three nights. The tale was ..... ( drums please.... ) Hamlet. This adaptation will be featured Hamlet in his new alter ego; the madness and the blood bath soon to come. Every character will be given a write including Horatio and Barnardo.

And excerpt here.


Horatio
I had to admit the wine from Marcellus was potent to the mind. After my drink, I felt more than elated. I was filled with courage and even spoke to the ghost until Marcellus chased it away.

“That’s a first time for everything.” Marcellus was delighted at his rash act of hurling the bottle at the ghost. “I think it’s gone for good. Good riddance to it. We have enough ghosts in the Castle to accommodate one more.”

“No, I think it was trying to communicate with us.” Barnardo explained his view. “I think it was trying to speak.”

“Well, the owl scared it away. It was rumoured that the owl …” I was trying to impress them but Marcellus the Butler had to soil my night tale.

“It was not the owl but the rooster that crow all night so that no ghost dares to go out. On that night, no spells or witches can bewitch us. That’s how the holy night is.” Marcellus concluded the ending for me.

“Yeah but it ain’t the holy night yet.” Barnardo quipped in. That was truly a dampener to the colourful tale.


“Yes, I have heard of that tale. It’s all in the believing.” I added in. I was getting sleepy by then. Now that the ghost was gone I believe it was time to rest. 


And so shall it continue on. Even Laertes get more than a passing remark.

“It was like your tales. I hold no more fingers to the hearts you had broken.” I regretted then for telling her those tales; lies they were but she took all of it to heart.

“They are …. But you are my sister. I am your brother, and cared for you.” I confronted her. If she could read my mind, she would have joined me on my travels. I could be flexible with my plans. The wars could go on without me but I will go to war for my sister.

“But Harry loved me.” Ophelia was calling him then by his name. It was so personal. I stopped my packing and sat down next to her.

“Harry may love now.” I have to pick my words carefully. “When he grew to this age and with his homecoming, his next phase of life steps in.”

“Harry has new responsibilities or shall I say obligations. He may love you but with his obligations takes precedent.  He got an Empire to take care of. He is not like you and Father. He is akin to the Royal family. They ranks with the Kings and Queens.”

“I may be Queen.” Ophelia the Innocence added in. I smiled.

“A King had to abide by certain rules. It may …enslave them. He cannot have whatever he wants for he is King with obligations. His subjects demand it. His action weighed on a …nation. Like Harry, it’s the Empire. If he loves you, his love came with conditions that must not upset the obligations. You may end up in the bad relationship if you lose what is in you. I meant it cannot be restored.”

Mother, where art thou when you are needed. I truly cried out then in my heart.

“Oh, Laertes. You sounded like the nuns from the convent. It’s only fair I give it to him if I love him.” Ophelia was more educated than I thought. 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...