Thursday, March 19, 2015

Coriolanus Act 4.1.1

Act 4

Scene 4.1.1

The Courtship

Coriolanus looked out the window of his room. It was his bedroom whom he shared with Virgilia; his wife and lover, and mother of his son. A child they consummated in love but the later years they found sparkle diminishing. He was either at call with the battles at the Roman’ borders or with the Consuls. He looked to his wife who was packing his bags. She does that every time he was to leave. She looked beautiful in the yellow dress that was body hugging. He recalled the times when they was flame in their lust and felt the throbbing then. He approached her, and circled his arms around her. It was then he found her in tears, and with her back to him, he did not noticed.

“Why, my dear? I am only …” Coriolanus voiced up, but his wife pushed him away.

“Please give me some space.” Virgilia stepped away, and almost tripped on the bags on the flooring. Coriolanus stood there and stared at her while she seated herself at the dresser. She reached for the comb to control her long tresses.

“Virgilia…” Coriolanus tried to speak to her, but she snapped back.

“Hush…” Virgilia spoke. “Mother may hear. I would be okay.”

“No, Virgilia.” Coriolanus cut in. “We need to talk.”

“Talk? We have not spoken for the last two years. It was either your war or your mother who was coaching you on the next speech.” Virgilia replied back in a low tone. She still feared her mother of the soldier, although she loved him. “It had been her ever since I had your son. She took over to coach you or our son more than I could serve in his milk.”

“What are you talking about? Why about my mother now?” Coriolanus pleaded ignorance. “You could have told me earlier.”

“Tell you with her hawkish stares on you. She only allowed us to speak when we are in bed, but when that happened, you would just turn over or onto me. You only wanted to hear from me was the moans or the fake throes. You think I 
was just another conquest of yours. Like the Volsces.”

“Please….Say no more.” Coriolanus defended his mother. “I loved both of you, and ….also her.”

“Forget it… consider your next ….tasks like another of those previous ones.” Virgilia replied. “Leave on it. Find yourself a home. Then called on us.”

Virgilia then stood up and walked out of the room. Just when the door was to be close, Coriolanus noticed the other room door was closing. It was his mother’s room.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...