Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Kid named Billy 3 of 3

3.

I never like the bigger towns and Fort Sumner is one. But I am here with my own agenda. I walked up to his grave at the cemetery. No one was around but I left my flowers there. I tended to his grave as a mother would do her son's cot. Not a speck of grass was left unattended and I sprinkle more soil to his grave.

As there was no one around, I took my place at his tombstone.

"William, I know you can see me. Sorry, if I am late, but I did not know then. I would had come earlier, William if only I knew but when we had the news, the season would had changed. The Old man told me last week and I came as soon as I could. I am so sorry; I am just repeating myself to you. I should had not let you go then. You would had been alive now. William, I am so sorry. I failed you." I could not stand by then as my knees went under me but I did not fall. It was strong hands who held me up.

"Come now, ma'am. You need is a drink. Let me help you." I looked up to see the man who held me up. He is an older man like of my age, but he wears a badge of authority. "Pat Garret, the name."

I shoved him off my elbows and stood back from him.

"Touch me again, and I would report you for bad conduct.' He stood his ground and reached for his hat. He removed it from his head and bowed his head.

"You are his kins? I am sorry as I did not know." He is raising his head to look back at me.

"I was his guardian. My name is Jones. Three years ago, he was at my home, and I nursed him to health. He was like a son to me. Why did you shoot him?" I glared at him as he stands there. All of him including the gun he may had used on William.

"Did you use that on him?" I point to his gun and his hand rubbed over it but he did not draw on it.

"Yes, I did. Billy is a killer. He killed more than a dozen men; all good men and he likes to kill. I know him before. He won't changed unless he is killed." He used the word like Billy deserved it; death by being killed.

"Did you planned his murder? The town folks said you waited in the lady's room and when Billy came in, you shot him cold blooded. Did you?" I looked at to see if he would flinched at my question. But his eyes are not moving.

"No, I did not. I drew on him after he came into the house. He could not make me out and he drew on me. But he was not sure. I shot him as I knew who he was. He is Billy the Kid." Pat Garret has his hands on his hips now. Does he think I am packing a gun too?

I turned away to look at Billy's grave. I could hear the Sheriff walking away.

"Quién es? Quién es?" I muttered out loud. Pat Garret turned around with his gun and fired. But at the last moment, he moved his gun and the shot landed at my feet.

"Thank you, Sheriff. I hope you will learn to live with that in your life. Billy the Kid is what they nicknamed him. His real name is William H.Bonney." I walked out of the cemetery. Like many gunfighters, they all lived in fear of dying by the gun. They learn to shoot on instinct and hoping to shoot first. But one day, they may shoot late and they would die. Like my Billy. One day, Mr.Garret would not be the first to shoot.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...