Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Claus Kitchen Part 1

Its the time of the year and the weather is getting cold and heavy with the moisture in the air. I got up at my usual hour and adjusted my curlers so that they would ruffle my hair do into a haystack look when I uncurl them at mirror. I turned to see my better half sleeping on his back and huffing his breaths through the twinkle split parted mustache to the chords of the fifth symphony. He is tired too as I know he crawls in just before dawn as the request comes in for new toys are checked and marked for delivery this coming festive. His Elves should all be retiring too by now as they also have a need for the rest like himself.
I tip toe to the washroom but I tell you at my age and body dimensions, tip toes are not without difficulty but I made it without waking him up and also the cheesy cat who sleeps by the end of the bed. My toiletries done and I don my golden brown dress and perk up my Red Hair Band. I opened my bedroom door and leave it shut ever softly on my exit. I go down the stairs and into the domain of mine; the kitchen.
I can hear the singing as my Pixies are hard at work in there as I opened the door.
Patty Cake, Patty Cake,
Baker's Man;
That I will Master,
As fast as I can;
Prick it and prick it,
And mark it with a T,
And there will be enough for Jacky and me.
                ( Old English Rhyme from Mother Goose 1785 )

I joined in with my Pixies with my own tenor voice sounding the walls.

Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man.
Bake me a cake as fast as you can;
Pat it and prick it and mark it with B,
Put it in the oven for baby and me.
                ( Modern version )

But the all the Pixies stopped their work and put their index finger to their lips; "Shhh..... Or you will wake the old man". They all whisper back in unison.

Well, I did they asked and took down my apron from the rack and slipped it on over my head. On it, the words tells my name and role' MAMA CLAUS; BAKER AT LARGE. It was my first Christmas gift from Santa who is snoring in bed as he worked all night since last July to get the toys order ready for Christmas. Just as he worked hard at it, I work at mine to feed the hungry needs of the our home.

"Young Pixie, have you ever bake a cake?" I asked of one who is kneading the flour on the table.

"Of course I do. What do you think I am doing now? Toning my muscles for the Beauty Pageant?" They all laughed at her reply.

"Oh! You young one too. Are those icings you are putting on the cake? Or you are a painter in disguise as a baker in my kitchen?" The room was hushed to an eerie silence as the young Pixie put down the icing cone and raised her hand to wipe her brow.

"Alas, the works of a master is never satisfied but the line is to continue, so be it I will past this masterpiece on as them Elves appreciate not an art from artist lest alone the cake from the baker."

"But we do....." A sound that echo from the upper levels where the Elves are taking their sleep.

"So they said every time and yet they gobble to the crumbs before I can even finished explaining my design...." sigh the dejected Pixie. I picked her up and tossed her to the air and she lands on the arms of her ladies bakers.

"But we we love you all the same." They all sang to her which made her smile. She leap off their arms and went back to her post to do the next icing.

I like my kitchen here as we are part of the Santa' workshop where he does the toys while we feed their hungry needs. As Santa calls his workshop; Toyland, I called mine Claus Kitchen.

"Okay, girls. Tell me the order for today."

"Two hundred muffins; of which one hundred to be blueberries and the rest are with strawberries. One hundred chicken pie with a shovel less on the salt as the doctor changed the recipe this morning. He said its bad for the heart but we ache when he changed our recipe." They all sighed in chorus. "But we have also one more small order to do on a tiny cake with a coat of white icing with fresh strawberry on top."

"My LORD, WHO is it for that can TELL my kitchen to do one TINY order?" I roared as the Pixies ran to hide under the tables and behind the cupboards.

"Its for me, Mama. I am hungry too." I looked down at my little darling crawling on his hands and knees with his milk bottle trailing behind.

"Yes, Baby. You shall have it as per request."I carried him up and peck him on his cheeks.

"There she goes again. She ROARED and then she whimper when she hears it for her little RORY....... A PIXIE'S WORK IS NEVER DONE!" All the Pixes sang out in chorus to my surrender to my son in my arms.

"Nevermind them, Rory, Mama got will help in and we can eat in together in a short while when your daddy wakes." I carried him to the table and sat him there as he watched me do my work as MISTRESS BAKER in CLAUS KITCHEN.

Now that is a typical day in the life of Mrs Claus in her bakery role.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...