Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Kid name Billy Part 2 of 3

2.

Life as Mrs Jones is like any; you work like mare and you sleep like one too; fighting off the stud from climbing on you when you are asleep. I wondered if these men ever know when there is a time to rest and wrestle. But this one night, he was tell me a story that kept me awake all night.

Its about William.

He is now called Billy the Kid. He joined some men to form the Regulators, and hunt down killers in the Lincoln County War. But there was a turn of events when the Regulators was branded as outlaws. It seems the group he was in did their own lynching of some men. He also killed the Sheriff with those men. The Governor banned them and they are running like those prairie dogs. They been rumors that they also had shootout with the US Calvary. But last heard was he is meeting the Governor to seek amnesty for the Lincoln County War. I took the wagon to Lincoln Town to see my adopted son. He is still there in negotiation with the Governor. I heard he is putting up outside of town as he fears he would be bushwhacked in town. I rode out to seek him.

"William, can I come in to your fire?" Its never advised to walk up to any campsite unless you announced yourself. Every rider knows that they would never be refuse food and drink at the fire if they come in proper.

"Mrs.Jones? Slap my leather hard. Its really you. Please step in..... Ma'am." He took into his arms like any who would greet his own mother. He offered me a seat by the fire and poured me a cup of coffee.

"It does not taste like yours. But we all drink it as its the only thing we drink besides whiskey and spring water. What brings you here to Lincoln County?"

He looks about the same as when I saw him rode out that day. But now he is wearing a belt with a holstered gun and his rifle lies a short distance from his grasp. I told him what I heard and I am here to see him. Maybe for the last time, but I did not tell him that. He told he shot some men as there was a war which just ended. He did not mean to kill them but they are not hesitating to do him dead. He joined the Regulators because he believed in fighting for justice, but sometimes that may called for actions which the law may not agreed. He explain to me that this is the frontier land and not everything clearly defined. Men die for less than some of those he shot.

I listened to the young man and tears welled up in my eyes. He has grown so much but he lacks love and family. He is starting to live the life he said in his words a year ago; a killer in the making. He has become one but not of choice but by action. I asked him of his amnesty and he said he is considering. I told him to be careful out there. I cannot stay long as Old man Jones needs me back at the farm. We hugged and parted company. He did offer me some money but I told him I am fine.

"William, walk the correct path if you can. There are no good or bad paths; only paths in your journey. If you take the one that would give you peace, walk it." I kissed him on the left cheek before I left for my wagon.

"Mrs,Jones, I love you..... like a mum."

I waved good bye to him. For the next two years, I hear more of William and his exploits as Billy the Kid. He killed more men as claimed by the newspaper. He was even caught and sent to to prison but he escaped. Today, I was told he was shot dead by a lawman named Pat Garret.

"Old man, I going over to Fort Sumner, New Mexico." The old mule of mine is having his supper while I was bringing out the washing to soak.

"You planning on going over to see Billy the Kid." It was not a question but a statement. I set the washing pail down and looked at the old man.

"His name is William, you old fool. He is like a son to me."

"Your sons' are Peter and Micheal Jones. Never had I named one as William H.Bonney. He is a bastard for all I cared. He murdered people, dear wife. They been hunting him like a coyote and he was gonna be skinned like one if not for his escape. But he got his end that day when the Sheriff gunned him down. Please don't go. I would begged of you in the true Christian way. By the love God, please listen." I turned my back on him. The Old man has left the table with the bowl of stew unfinished. He knows me well and once I am fixated on leaving; I have left by then.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...