Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bullet 4 Part 3

I did as he asked and I went onto the side kerb and I hit the pedal down. Henry took his aim and tossed off some rounds into the approaching pickup trucks. The Rovers behind us just joined in and the three of us are speeding down the road. Its a wide road and clear of vehicles now. Neither of saw the missile coming from behind and it took the rear Rover and its occupants.

"Henry! Car Three down. They got stingers." But by then I have swerved the Rover around on the road. I motioned to the Sarge who was in the second Rover to drive on. Henry took the opportunity to aimed and shot the gunner, rendering him dead before the guy could fire any more shots. Then Henry moved his aim to the front of the pickup and ripped off the front cover of the vehicle. The engine block on being ruptured by the bullets caused the driver to lose control. The first pickup truck hit the side kerb and slammed into the huts but I was already coming towards the second the second pickup truck. Henry took my hint and started straffing the truck causing the driver to crash. I braked and I turned the car around and were racing passed the scene of the first Land Rover which crashed into the side. Its burning from the missile attack and there was no survivor.

I would had thanked Henry but the next pickup truck came into the scene. It seems that we had hit on more than one simple road block. The pickup truck coming at our rear has also alongside it a sedan; plus some nasty passengers. I stepped down on the pedal and pushed the rover to build up the distance.The Defender 110 is good for off -terrain driving but not on speed race. I got another problem soon as the pursuers are also armed with missile and they just missed us on the right side.

"Darned, they got some more launcher." I heard Henry cursing and he reached for the knapsack he was carrying. He grabbed out some grenades and passed it to Dion. "Pull the pin and drop them off. I think they are three seconds behind us in speed."

Dion nodded and pulled the pins on the three grenades. She tossed them out of the side onto the road.

I heard the explosions but I was focused on my driving.

"Did it work?" But no one is answering me. But the shots that came gave me the answers.

"We got one but the sedan is still on us. Can you turn this around.?"

I did as Henry requested and I made a spin on the left again at some open ground. Henry's FN spilled out their loads on the broadside of the sedan as it came to our front view. The sedan driver on being hit rammed into the left hand kerb side rested the car on the lamp post base. I drove up past it and moved on towards the highway interchange at a comfortable speed.

"That was solid driving, mate. I did not know you still had it in you."

I would had thanked Henry but right now my main concern is what would be on the highway.

I got my answer soon.

The whole place was stacked with cars and masses of people trying to get out of the city. But they are not be able to move. We were still at the interchange trying to get onto it but we are stuck there. I reversed out of the interchange and decided to take back the earlier trunk road. The Sarge followed suit with his vehicle.

"We could take the route 145 and jumped onto the highway at some later interchanges. But to get there, we need to go though this part of the city. Its near to the airport and I believed it would be heavily guarded."

We pondered on the decision but soon we heard some loud explosions. I looked out of the window to see a pair of helicopters is flying over the highway. They are Kiowa Helicopters armed with 7-shot 2.75 in Hydra-70 rocket pods. These helo are firing their missiles at the large vehicles and straffing the smaller one with its mounted Browning. People are running in panic to avoid being shot at but there are many who were caught by the blasts. I saw the massacre as the road we are on parallel to the highway on my left with a gap of about 100 meter of open ground.

Then I saw The Kiowa's again flying parallel to our direction.

"Henry......"

But he is already cradling the machine gun in his arms aimed at the helicopters. He let off the blast when I stopped the vehicle. The bullets hit the low flying Kiowa at the rate of 800 rounds per minute. Henry was aiming at the rotor tails to bring it down. He did on the first one but the second Kiowa pulled away in time.

The remaining Kiowa soon turned back and headed towards us. The Sarge on seeing the incoming helicopter sped off down the trunk road without waiting for me. They got off as the Kiowa was homing on my vehicle. Its fired a missile but I swerved in time to avoid the blast. It flew over our heads and is looking to turn back to take us out.

"Give me the call, Henry." I shouted at him and he did.

"Straight and then left. And then back. Now!"

I stepped on the pedal and drove straight moving away from the oncoming copter which was firing its Browning now. It missed us by a few feet but soon I was swerving on my wheel to turned left towards it. Henry took his gun and lashed out. The helicopter is just to our left and still on parallel path to us but its exposed broadside was all we need to target on. This time Henry went for the cockpit and made his way down the frame to the rotor blades. Henry must had hit the fuselage as it starts to spurts black smokes.

By then, I was turning around the Rover back to the road that will take us into the city. The other vehicle with the Sarge was soon to be at our rear and holding that position. We did not turned back to see the crash as we were now on the road towards the airport.

It was another hour of drive passing more of the same scene on this flat land stretch as we approached the airport. We can see the sections of the highway as it veered off to its own direction on our left, but the route is laid with abandoned cars and people. Looks like our option on the highway is not in our favor. I stopped the rover and got out of to review my current options. Henry and the Sarge were to joined me to discuss the options.

Its not much to contemplate as there two other routes which we can take besides the highway. If we hit either way, we would add another five hours to the trip making our trek all the more of a rush. Just then Henry gave the most stupid idea to hijack an air flown option considering the place will be filled with soldiers. And more to it, both of us do not know how to fly a plane, let alone a helicopter.

"I could fly a small plane. I am trained in the Special Forces."

We all looked at Dion who is standing there cradling her AK47. Then we all looked at our options again. But nothing is as planned.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...