Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Witch from the Bay

I never thought that one day I will be staying in an old castle perched over a low cliff overlooking a small bay. Its my inheritance as the last of the family who survived the war. A gift not of love but of family tradition that i am needed to continue to administrate the wealth of the family heirloom which unfortunately include this castle in its will. If not for the former, I would not be standing here on this balcony looking at the incoming drift of the mist from the sea.

"Master James, you must come in. The coldness of this land is not of that in London or Glasgow." My two previous place of abode of my young and then adult age. Jenkins is the caretake of the Castle and has been in his family care for four or three generations now. He is in his sixties and yet he choose not to procreate the next generation for reasons he never disclosed. But despite his age, his bones still permits him to mount the steps and walked the corridor of this place without much of a complaint. But my family faithful servant does not wait for my answer as he pulls me in and close the Victorian glass doors.

Victorian design in a old castle? Surely, Jenkins. This is out of place in this castle and only this room." I walked towards the glass of whiskey set by the older man for me alongside with a beautiful crystal glass bottle. I took a swig of it as I looked to my servant who is latching the glass door now.

"Aye, a refinement which your father did for your mum's stay here. She was of the London society and she vainly need the feel of her old scene when she married your father. So without hesitation, your father took to task on the works. They are brought from London at great expanses but your father's love for your mother would had spared all the pennies for her comfort. Her favorite room was here as she will knit her scarfs for your father while waiting for his return by boat from his trips to London." I remembered those scarfs she did for my father as it was her only pleasure then besides waiting for him. He does has a tendency of losing them at sea or where he was, as he is clumsy with his personal things. I remember when I was young, Mother used to rock me by the cradle as she knit. It was not long after that we moved back to London on the news of my father untimely death at sea. It never cross my mind then that all my fore fathers has perished at sea including my own father.

"Jenkins, you been with us all your lifetime. Tell me more on the rumors I hear from the local folks; 'Lady of the Sea'. Indulge me please, Jenkins."

"Bah! Those are words of the idle chatter. I would strongly asked you refrain from partaking in these talks. All it does it to bring the weird and curious to the place." Jenkins looked nervous as he move to collect the things to take to the kitchen. "I best be going for my bed, and you too, Master James. The weather may be chilly but the bed is warm and comfortable."

My good servant has left me now. At last I am free. I unlocked the window latch and pushed open the window. I took my glass of liquor and take my seat by the window. My wait may be short as the clock chimed its bell.

You waited long, James?

"No, I just sat down. Jenkins was the one who kept me waiting for him to finished up. But he is gone now and you are here." I stood up and embrace my newly  found love since I came here three months ago. She is my new love, Georgina or better known as the Lady of the Sea. She is dressed in her white gown and her long hair braided to hang over her shoulder. She is not of us but a sea witch who resides in the nearby bay overlooked by the castle.

"I do missed you very much, Georgina." Its was painful for me, as I known Georgina when we were young. She used to play with me by the Bay in the evenings before I am called back for supper. We grew up together then and its was to be a painful day when I asked to return to London with mother on the death fo my father. I bid her goodbye that evening and I promised I will come back for her. But now with the death of my mum, I am free to come back and reclaimed my inheritance. But Georgina and myself are all grown to adult and yet she answer my call when I came to the Bay. I saw her float up from the water and laid her dainty feet on the sandy beach at the Bay. She was the most beautiful lady I have yet to see and I knew then I was in love. Initially we will meet and talk of the old days and then of the current day. But as we complete our talks on the days, I find myself asking her more of her coming future.

It was then she told me that she waited for me for this day when I would returned to be her friend. She said life in the Bay can be lonely at times as most of the other sea witches has left or become Sirens. But she waited for me and I have fulfilled my promise. I remembered the new pledge I made on that evening to serve and cherish her as my life partner for the days to come. She looked at me and I told her that the pledge is sincere and real. I would seal my pledge with her as I would seal my lips on her.

It was our fist kiss and more was to come when we meet nightly at the chime of the clock. From the sandy beaches of the Bay, I brought my life partner to the walls of my castle and towards my room. There we consummate our love with the passion of a life long wait.

James, I think you ought to know. I may be with our child

"Oh my love. Its the sweetest words that I heard today and I hoped to hear more about it." I hugged her closer to me as the child is our testimony of our true love.

But James, there is something you need to know. Our child is not any child but a child of both worlds; yes and mine.

"I see no harm in there. Its still our child. I would love the child as if its of any world." But what she had to say make me cry with sorrow.

In my world, the child on birth is given to the Queen for her to take care as her subject. I cannot defy my Queen. Please understand.

"No, it can't be. I am his father and I shall be his master of where he stays. How can your Queen decide for my son? Even my King cannot decide for me." I stood up and walked to the window. I looked at the Bay and I mumbled my curse at it. How can they do this to us? We are in love and in our love is the child that has been conceived. I will not allowed this. I turned to face my life partner who was to lain on my bed but she is not there. I turned back to the window and I see her floating outside.

Forgive me, James. But the Queen rules me. The child will come back to your world when ready. Farewell, my love.

"No, you can't leave. I beg of you...." But she is gone. I took our my coat and I left the castle for the Bay. I held up the lantern to light up the water.

"Georgina, please come back. I love you and I cannot bear to without you. How can you do this me now that you are also with my child? Are you as heartless as the stories I heard." I sobbed on my knees as the Bay water comes in with the tides. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked over. Its Jenkins.

"Master James. It time we leave. She won't be back. Its the way of their life. They used you as they had many of us before. They need us to pro-create their kind. We are the fools to sway by their beauty and charm. Come home, Master James. You are still young and you may one day forget her."

I looked at the older man who is pulling me to go home. To what? An empty castle? An empty bed? And empty life? I would prefer to die than to live in misery. I got up to my knees and want to join her in the depths. But the world went dark and that was I know.

"You awake, Master James." I opened my eyes to see Jenkins looking at me as I laid in bed. Its morning and the back of the head hurts. I reached for it with my right hand and felt the lump.

"A prerequisite of the needs that time. If I had not clobbered you then, it would be a wet grave for your body and soul. I would suggest you take this chicken soup and refresh your body. She is gone and would be forever. But you are here and you still have to live on." Jenkins pulled me to sit against the bedhead.

"You knew then, Jenkins." I took the spoon offered.

"Aye, Master James. But nothing stops them from doing it to your family for generations now. Your dad was one and so was your grand paddy. Now you understand why your mum took you back to London. But it runs in the family, You Baldwin's got to do your donation for them before you do for your own family. And we Jenkins has to be good with the club for that one special night. You can called it a curse or as my family calls it; a long time employment benefit. So sleep after your soup. Then we can go to the village and rouse up some eligible lasses for your pickings."

"You must be joking, Jenkins. I just dump mine to Georgina and you asked me to do to another? Have you no integrity or shame." I am startled at the simplicity thinking of my servant. Surely he does not think I am a stud in the barn.

"Shed no tears for her. She got what she wanted. Now you do your bid to get the Baldwin's going,and by George, my son would find his training at the club not wasted. Anyway, beside your family fortune, you got some more fortune down there to contribute to your new love."

Somehow then chicken soup did not taste as good as before. Poor hen was slaughtered for it.

( Inspired by Bram Stocker "The Lady in the Shroud". )

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...