Tuesday, February 7, 2012

From the pages of Les Miserables; Monsiuer Thenardier

The smell of the sea is fine with my nose and to be honest, its a lot more fresh if I am not among these sweaty bodies of those they called themselves sailors. I am Monsieur Thenardier formerly of Jondrette of the Paris society. But now I am back to my real identity of Thenardier. You're surprised that you once knew me as the unkempt Innkeeper who will fished even your last crown off your pocket for a whiff of the dead cat I was cooking. Don;'t be as I was who I was and now I am back to who I was. I been many but it comes with dire needs to blend in the times of then.

But I missed those days; carefree life we led with my now deceased love, Mme.Thernardier and her foul use of the vocal words. She may be a lesser of a lady then but a vixen in my room was what produced us the two lass of our marriage. But sadly she died of late, and she seen me in the tatters to the silk bounded sash to hold my waist in place. Alas,life was a day's work to a day's food, but the Inn kept us going with the unwary travelers. I remember then Cosette but we had little choice but to squeeze the treasures out of her mum. I know it was evil then and so was my liaison with the Patron-Minette, but the pickings kept ut alive and well. Its gold was hard earned and mroe difficult to peddle with the ever vigilant Javert. Curses be to him then for he kept me up at nights on some and huffed my limbs on some of those runs in the dark alleys. But I did keep myself from his arm for a spell of imprisonment.

Vive le revolution! That was the call for the uprising in Paris 1832. I was there with my love; fanning the hatred and joining the looters. Oh please, we were not unkind then, as we opened the Inn to the injured and tend to the dying. I admit we extract some purses and maybe a gold tooth once or twice, but we were faithful to the cause. I even brought the drinks to the barrier and quench the thirst of the fighters although all I could afford then was the plain water from my well. But I did my cause true to my heart.

I agreed that my mind was to get rich so that I am out of the rut of cheating. And it pleased me to said it worked as I was soon laden with wealth and allowed us to rub cheeks with the elites. It was then we became the Jondrette. It was life of social with perfume from head to the toes and caked with powder on our face, we float in those dance halls with the accompaniment of the music. It was life then unless my love forgets her steps when a drink too big gets in her head. Then it may call for discretion as I rushed her to the carriage. She is unbearable at that state and worse as I have to stop her pawing my tights.

But she is gone now while my wealth increased in folds. I wished sometimes it as the other so I can get into her folds. But she left me her gentler side of our surviving daughter, Azelma who now travels with me to the new state on a new continent.

"Papa, how soon before we reached the shores of Montreal?" The object of my adulation grazed the banister of the ship.

"Soon, my dear. The Captain tells me we will dock by noon tomorrow and I hoped that we will live well here." I brought her out on the death of her sister and mother; leaving a life which I hoped she does not have to endure. Its the new land we seek and with my wealth I shall erect a life around her befitting a lady. She would one day marry a beau of her equal and have their own family. But they would be not be in an Inn or sweep the untidy floor boards; that is my past and not hers.

I am now Monsieur Thenardier; a rich trader although what I trade may be not to some liking, but business is never for the faint hearted. And if anyone raised the whispers of my life in Paris, I would not hesitate to show them what I do best with my dagger in my waist.

"Papa, what is the dress to wear for my arrival in Montreal?"

"Oui, only the finest for my daughter. Go now and seek your dress. Ask Martha to help with it." I watched as she runs below deck to seek her nanny of her dress. I called on the Captain to come forth.

"When we reached Montreal, send my family on board first. When we have left the port, then bring forth the cargo. I do not want her to see my trade as slaver. Here is a gold piece for your effort." I walked away humming my favorite song; Master of the House.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...