Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Odysseus Part 5

V
“Achilles? Is that a name for a warrior? I thought it would be for a wimp.” Brave words spoken by a warrior who knows not his foe yet and if he did, he would not said those words for his tongue could be next on the floor. 
Achilles is the other son of Peleus and Thetis. 
When Thetis found out she was deceived by Zeus of her son’s prophecy, she gave birth to another prophecy. She made him invulnerable to weapons. Like Samson, she gave him a gift. She took her new born to the Underworld to dip inside the River Styx, but before she could fully dipped him; Peleus startle her leaving only the heel of Achilles untouched by the river currents. It was his vulnerable spot and he will learned of it in his life. Peleus on seeing the act of his wife, was dismayed at her cruel act. He fears for the child’s life so he gave the child to the centaur Chiron, who was Peleus’ mentor before. Chiron is a centaur born from the consummation of Cronus and the nymph Philyra. Chiron unlike his fellows centaur is more of a healer and was the student of Apollo and Artemis which he learned his skills of hunting and marksmanship. Peleus and Achilles were not the only students of the centaur but they also include Jason, Heracles, Big Ajax among others. But Achilles was his last and he taught the boy the ways of the hunt and flight like a deer like all his previous students. 
It was Achilles folly who led to Chiron’s death. It was on Mount Pelion,  that Chiron and Achilles are in the cave with Heracles. When Chiron admires the weapons of the mighty hero, Achilles is temped to touch them making one of the arrows fall and strike the left foot of the Centaur. It was the ploy of Heracles to exchange Chiron immortality for the life of Prometheus, who had been chained to a rock and left to die for his transgressions as agreed with Zeus. Achilles cried, as he would for his father, as Chiron left for the skies.
Soon Achilles took leave of his guardian and returned to his family court. He was accepted back by the family. Soon he was to rejoined with an old friend and student of his master, Chiron. That friend was Phoenix who will joined him in the coming war. It was also then Achilles met another good friend, Patroclus who was later to be his companion and lover. But as fate were to intervened when the call for war came. Thetis feared her son will die as it was prophecies that he either live a long normal life or die a short glorious one. Thetis took Achilles to be hidden in the courts of Lycomedes on the island of Sycrus to be raised as a girl, but instead he seduced the daughter of Lycomedes; Deidamea and they have a son who is named Neoptolemus. 
The prophecy of Troy was that only with Achilles’ help could anyone defeat Troy. So the warriors came including myself but the household was sworn to secrecy on the whereabouts of Achilles. It was not his whereabouts that we found out but of his son on the island of Sycrus. So we went to the island to seek the son and hopefully his father. King Lycomedes was courteous to allowed us into his palace and he hosted us well. As we are all young men, the King showcased his daughters and other virgins for us to pick as wives but we came to here to see Neoptolemus. So the King call forth the grandson of his with reluctance and I approached the young boy. 
“I have one like him back in my home, but he is smaller this one. But see how he blow on the war horn and we will see the new warrior of this land.” I handed him my war horn and Neoptolemus took it. He laid his lips to the horn and blew it hard. The sound came out like that of a true warrior and invoked his father’s hidden warrior form behind the rows of ladies in waiting. 
“Who blows the war horn?” He was calling on the people to answer, but I did on their behalf. I kneel down and bowed my head. 
“Its I, Odysseus of Ithaca on behalf of King Menelaus. We hailed thee as the warrior to come with us in the conquest of Try for the misdeeds of Paris who eloped with Helen, the rightful wife of Menelaus. Surely as a warrior blood, you will not stand by if some takes your son’s mother from you.” His sword was at my throat even before I could react. Palamedes who was with me, drew his in defence and slashed at Achilles to protect me.
But the sword of Palamedes broke in half on touching Achilles’ body. Such is the invulnerable gift of Achilles. 
“Hold your arm, Achilles. I am not your enemy but your fellow Greeks. Saved it for the Trojan’s. I asked again for your service to your King of all that is Greeks; Agamemnon. Do you served? Remember your oath as I have also swore on it.” I felt the sword lifted from my neck as he sheath it back into his scar-bord. 
“I yield with my body and soul.I also call on my friend and companion, Patroclus to follow suit for in life and death do we stayed together.” 
So we have Achilles in our line up of warriors. Achilles don the magical armor of Peleus, which was made by Hephaestus. He also took the sword given to him by his father Peleus and the chariot drawn by the immortal horses Xanthus and Balius. Chiron left him a javelin made from the ash tree as favored by Zeus to make warriors of its trunk in the age of Heroics. But he was cautioned by his mother Thetis before his departure.
“Kill no Tenes, son of Apollo and also King of Tendos and be not the first to step on Trojan soil.” Achilles promised his mum that he will heed her words. Achilles brought not only his companion but fifty ships with their warriors. His fleet makes my twelve looks small but we are not here to compete on that but to assembled a larger fleet. A larger fleet may be an under estimation to my figures, as when we arrived back in Menelaus’s palace, we find ourselves docking away from the port and it takes half a day to ride back here. But the long tired voyage is nothing compared to the warmth hospitality given by the King himself. 
“Achilles, thank you that you are here. Odysseus, surely I cannot not thank you more. Your work exceed your wisdom of words and I am ever proud to be your friend. Just as my father was to your father.” A fine tribute paid to my father, then still King of Ithaca. 
“Friends, Loyal allies, and above all fellow Warriors, I welcome you to my palace. I know its getting crowded but we will accommodate all of you. My bursar tells me that a thousand and sixteen ships docked on my shore lines and I am ever thankful its not an invasion one.” That brought the laughter in hall and more goblets of wine were consumed. 
“We shall sailed on the after we have sacrificed to the Gods. But for now, drink and rejoice as we are the true warriors of Greece.” I may be the one with the devious tongue but Menelaus has the orator skills of a champion King. 
But among us, was one who choose to ridiculed this communion of warriors. He is Cinyras, king of Paphos from Cyprus. He boast of matching Achilles fleet of fifty, but he send his son with one ship and forty nine clay ships and sailors. In good faith, we tool his son and the ship into the fleet and made them sailed at the fore.I stood by the balcony to looked down to the bay where the ships are all anchored and being replenished as I watched them. King Agamemnon came with a hundred, Nestor of Pylos with about ninety ships. Nestor was an Argonaut who came with his sons, Antilochus and Thrasymedes. Nestor is already old but he still leads his troops on the chariot. His call here is as a Greek to the Greeks cause. Then there is the King of Argos, Diomedes who came with eighty ships. Diomedes is a also one of the suitors, and thus bounded by the oath. An ally which we will treasured and at times questioned his deeds. But nevertheless a warrior you wished on your side then the enemy.
“A splendid sight, is it not?” I looked at the man who spoke to me. I immediately went on my knee to show my respect for King Agamemnon, who stood by me with his goblet of wine. 
“I am sorry, Sire. I did not see you coming. Forgive me.” King Agamemnon took his hands onto my shoulders and raised me up. 
“No King shall bow before another unless he is defeated. You are my ally and you shall never need to bow. I thank you for coming, Odysseus. It has been years since we last met. I still remember you running in to the Great Hall and be reprimanded by your father, King Laertes. How ails him in this trying times?” I smiled at his words for he is a wiser man. But I corrected him that I am the King in waiting and the King of Ithaca is still my father, King Laertes who is still doing well. King Agamemnon spoke with me of his kingdom and then of his new family. His wife is Clytemnestra and they have a daughter Iphigeneia whom he loved very much. He said he wanted to marry his daughter to me, but I was announcing my marriage to Penelope so he decided to call his off. I suggested Achilles but he said Achilles has a lover and its another man. We both laughed and retreated back to the feast.
The one who was chosen to lead a fleet this size needs coordination and King Agamemnon was one of the best coordinator. As they were sailing, words came that Helen was being taken to another place called Mysia. It was the land under the Teuthranians and ruled by King Telephus. So we changed our course and sailed for Mysia. The Greeks arrived in their massive fleet within the sights of the Mysia’s shores and their first act was intimidation. The Mysia’s small fleet w as kept at the port but we did not land as yet for the Teuthranians City rival that of Troy in defense. We sent our emissary to demand for the release of Helen but King Telephus said he does not have Helen here. But he also refused to let come and search his land for that is an insult to his sovereignty. 
Thus leaving us no choice, we landed some distance away and marched to the city. On seeing such a large force coming with no diplomatic intentions, King Telephus ordered the city to be sealed and defended. To us, the closure of the city is a sign of war, and we laid siege to the city. Siege machines were constructed from the forest trees and brought forth to the battle field. We shelled the city for days and nights but they yield none to us. Instead the Teuthranians send their champions to challenge us and we replied. Achilles fought a few and was never defeated. I fought one with a warrior whose name I forgotten, but I sent his body armor back to the city for the proper burial. They sent their calvary and we held them back with the spears and arrows. They also took casualties of our warriors with their persistent attacks, and their wall withheld any breakthrough. As the casualties piled up on both sides, King Agamemnon sent a messenger to King Telephus.
‘Duel with your greatest champion to decide.Let no more warriors shed their blood for this war. One fight to end all fights.’
So it was Achilles against King Telephus. Telephus is the son of Heracles with the princess Auge, from Tegea. 
In the ensuing battle, Achilles wounded Telephus. It was said the battle was even with no signs of victory or defeat from either, but Diomedes apparently kicked a wine jug which hit the Telephus’ leg causing him to fall. When that happened, Achilles wounded him with the spear but Telephus ran for cover back into his palace. But by then, words has come to us that we been deceived and Helen is still in Troy. We realized our mistake and retreated back to Aulis to recover and also to replenish our force. Buy unknown to us then, the the wound on Telephus would not heal. Telephus consulted an oracle who spoke in riddle: "he that wounded shall heal." As it was Achilles who did him, he set to seek out Achilles in Aulis. 
In desperation, Telephus disguised as a beggar to seek Achilles for healing his wound. But Achilles refused to heal the wound saying that he had no medical expertise. Telephus then saw the son of Agamemnon, Orestes and he grabbed the child. Telephus threatened to kill him unless Achilles agreed to help. It was then I walked in on the commotion in Achilles’ tent. I saw the move made by Telephus, and I shouted to him that it was the spear that had inflicted the wound, so the cure is on the spear. The oracle never meant that the wielder of the spear but the weapon for its healing. Scrapings from the spear were applied to Telephus' wound, and it was healed. In recompense Telephus was to lead the Greeks to Troy as surprisingly, none of us actually knew where Troy lies. The maps we were shown are all different and we were confused. Its could be the works of the Gods to confuse us as they aid Troy in the quest, but Telephus is not Greek. So he told us the correct destination and offered to take us there for vengeance on being used by them in this war. As we were to sail with our replenished men and supplies, our sailing date was delayed. 
There was no favorable winds to move the ships out of Aulis and impatience stepped in among the Kings. They been delayed too long and the stupid war on Telephus angered them. They also felt their hospitality over extended so they started to sway in allegiance. I consulted the Gods, and it was Apollo who told me that cause. King Agamemnon has boasted of his skills as a hunter to some Kings’; which annoyed that of Artemis who is the Goddess who protects the wild animals. She was upset at the boast that she borrowed Poseidon’ gift to command the winds not to blow in the bay. But the seer, Calchas spoke of a needed sacrifice to appease the Gods. She said the virgin Iphigeneia is the chosen one for the sacrifice. King Agamemnon was aghast at the idea of killing his own blood and more so his beloved daughter. But he fears the assembled army will lose faith in him for future battles. It was a tough decision for the King. More so, he feared his wife Clytemnestra may not forgiven him if he kills his own blood. 
But the ways of the people then with the Gods do call for personal sacrifice which is also deemed high value in such acts. So King Agamemnon asked me to tell his wife that he is marrying his daughter to Achilles, and she is to set sail with him. I told Clytemnestra the words that will soothe her fears and concerns. I sang praise of Achilles and how her daughter will be known soon. She reluctantly agreed, and the so called marriage was arranged. But when she found of that her daughter Iphigeneia was actually brought to the temple to be sacrificed for Artemis, she never forgive him nor me for it. Despite it all, it was her daughter who willingly went with the sacrifice and saved the realm. Achilles was also upset being used for such a deceit and felt his reputation tarnished by the act, refused to speak to me for days. 
But by then, the winds has come back and the ships are sailing. Among those who sailed was King Agamemnon with a heavy heart. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...