Friday, September 30, 2011

Folk Tales 17:One wolf and three Pigs

One wolf and three pigs....
There was a forest which today may not exist anymore, but when it did there lived three pigs. They were named One, Two and Three, as there was no names to named on except by the number. As there was three of them, they lived in forest quite close to each other and watched out for each other.
Because they is a big bad wolf in the forest too, and his name is Zero. He is the only Big Bad Wolf, and there is none like him in this forest.
So one day, the Zero was hungry and he decided as there was the pigs to feed on, so he went up to the straw house of the pig named as Three. Three built his house with straws as it was the available material there, and it provided shelter. Zero on seeing the feeble design of the straw house, tore away the materials to get at at the pig. But Three was smart as he has left through the back door to run to his other pig’s house. Now the second house belonging to Two was made of wooden planks as it was situated near some trees. Two used the tree trunks to made planks and build his home. On seeing Three running  towards his house, he opened the door to admit his brother. On entering the house, Three immediately slammed the door and latched it. Then he said, ‘Zero is looking for me to be his dinner.’ So Two then said; ‘Is that so? If he does not eat you then I am next in line as I am Two’. They both nodded and poor Three unlatched the door and walked out to face Zero was salivating at the lips.
We will now pay a moment of silence to Three.
The next day, Zero came to the house of Two and he also tore it down. Two ran to One’s house which is made of stone, as he lived near the quarry inside the forest. Two rushed in and latched the door. He told One, Zero is coming for him as he is next. So One went out to see Zero, and spoke to the Big Bad Wolf. ‘You took Three, and now you want Two. Don;t you think you are reducing us to extinction? What would the forest be like without us as Pigs?’
‘One, I agreed. You see there are still two of you and I am the last of the Big Bad Wolf. If I don’t eat, I may die and there will be no more Zero. So please do not let my kind become negative in the world.’
For some time, One thought of the logic and decided to offer himself to be eaten. So he was, and we run out of minutes so we will proceed on with the story.
Now there is Two and Zero in the forest, and soon enough Zero trapped Two in the forest.
‘You can’t eat me, as I am the only Pig left like you’, pleaded the pig.
‘But you are Two and that means there are others of you around. So you won’t be the last to be eaten’, replied the Big Bad Wolf.
So Two was eaten thinking he is after all number Two. Just as Zero ate Two, he was eaten by a Tiger. Before he died, he asked the Tiger; ‘how can you do this to me? I am Zero.’
‘I know, but I am actually consuming more than you. I am also eating One, Two and Three. I am just following your rationale. My name is Minus One.’
( We are unique in this place, and not another set of numbers. So be one that matters, and don’t let others consume you or soon we will be counted off. )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't resist commenting. Perfectly written!

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...