Saturday, June 19, 2021

Arthur II Book IV Chapter 16

 16.

“Welcome back to Efawg.” Percival spurred his horse over the rise of the hill, but to his surprise, he saw the village but burnt structures. He was stunned by the sight for only the Hall stood there alone in the center. He rode hard towards the village followed by Galahad and Lord Bors.

“Sisters…” Percival called out. “I am Percival, your Lord. Come out now.”

The witches appeared; eight of them.

Adrine, Adrian, Adrie, Aileen, Alice, Alicia, Aline, and Alina. Adriane who had impaled on the spear will never be there.

“We are here, my Lord and Master.” It was Adrine who bowed. In her hands was the spear. “We were stuck by deceit not long after you left. The revolt was led by Gornement with the others who were once the men of Cwi. He burned the village to seek the Grail. He knew it’s here yet unseen by them.”

“Your spear is here. We took it out of the knoll.” Adrine said.

“I cared not for the Grail…now. I only want Gornement’s head.” Percival roared his voice and then took hold of the spear.

“Gornement hides in the forest.” Adrine motioned to the forest nearby. “He is with three others.”

“This is my battle. Stay here and wait for me.” Percival turned his horse to ride towards the forest. The ride was short and he saw the one he sought. Percival looked to the other three soldiers.

“Leave us. Or die painfully.” The three soldiers flee into the forest. And only Gornement stood there.

“Percival of Efawg, you have returned. I was expecting you. I will end the lineage as I did with your father and mother. And your gullible uncle, Fisher King the biggest fool of all. He wanted to have the Grail when he is unworthy of it.” Gornement displayed the case that was on the fireplace. It held the ashes of his parents alongside the Grail.

“The Grail is in there as what we told.” Gornement poured the content out. The ashes dropped to the ground and the winds took it all.

“No!” Percival charged at Gornement and impaled the spear in the chest. “Die, you bastard.”

That was the word Morgause screamed out.

“Bastards all of you! I remember it now!” Morgause rose to midair with her arms stretched out. “I remember it all.”

Morgause fell to the ground and was cradled into Morgan’s arms. Morgan's tears fell in relief that her sister had recovered.

“I am sorry, Morgause. I should have been there.” Morgan said. “I had searched you but I have a son to bring up. He is ...”

“It’s okay. I am fine now. I will take my vengeance on them.” Morgause replied to Morgan. “How long have I been away?”

“Far too long, sister, and now we are to fight back,” Morgan told Morgause. “We have a few to remove from our lives.”

“I know those names well; Vivianne and Merlin. Lancelot and Arthur.”

“If you attack Vivianne, you will fight the other ladies. We have much to prepare.” Morgan reminded the sister. “Where we are, time passed slower and we will be ready by then.”

“I heard that you have a son. What is his name and where…” Morgause asked?

“Mordred is his name and he is with Arthur. He will replace Arthur soon.”

To replace someone was never easy and that was what Guinevere told Lancelot. They were at the hut which once was the home of a friar. He had vacated to the forest like before.

“You need be anyone but yourself,” Guinevere told Lancelot who was lying on the straw bedding. The knight sat up and looked at the lady who was cooking some food over the small fire.

“I won’t be. I have lived a life being someone. I was once Lawnslot and then the Ghost and to the Black Knight. I will now be myself, Sir Lancelot.”

“And I will bury my past as the daughter of Pendragon. I am now just Guinevere, your love.”

“What of Arthur?” Lancelot asked.

“We had our life before. I have told him that I will be apart from him. It pained him but he will not stop me. He worshipped him like a Goddess. A Goddess for him alone but I am not his …. alone. For that, he remains in pain.”

“We can leave, Guinevere. We can be far and not be known at all by anyone.” Lancelot approached the lady.

“No, we can’t leave. There is too much here. I need to be here but we can always meet.” Guinevere looked at Lancelot. “Would the rabbit stew invoke you to another session of love?”

It was a different session for Lamorak when he was helped off from the chamber to the street. Tristan held him by the arms and they stood there under the morning sun. Tristan had covered his eyes from the morning sun glare while Lamorak looked around. He had been at rest for far too long. He saw then a familiar face riding a wagon towards the tavern.

“Do you need a ride? I am going to Gurnion.” It was Belvedere. “We could do with some more friendly faces.”

The ride to Gurnion was long but the conversation was longer. Lamorak inquired about Sir Kay.

“We found his campsite with the help of the hunters. They managed to track it and told me that it was cleared of any markings but these hunters are good at their tasks. They said there was blood and trailed it to several areas. They found remains of his body and said that he could have been attacked by wolves or even bears.”

“I doubt Sir Kay will be that easily brought down by wolves.” Lamorak defended the missing knight. “He held the strength of the bear.”

“I thought so and visited the place. There was evidence of the attackers if they are of Man and I can’t say it’s the Sarmatians. I can’t go to Arthur with unproven accusations.”

“It will be the Sarmatians. I was told that Sir Kay was near there.” Lamorak said.

“It may be but I will not start a war on that. The season is almost over and they are to move out.” Belvedere replied. “As for you, you can make Gurnion your home.”

Lamorak looked at Tristan who had remained quiet. He was concerned about the young knight. He seems to harbor pain inside him.

So was Arthur.

“She won’t talk to me. Or even tell me where she wants to go/” Arthur looked to the druid. “You could find out. There must be some magic or spells you may know.”

“Arthur, I have mentioned before. I cannot do such spells.” Merlin sighed. He knew where the Queen was but he can’t tell Arthur.

“The locals said that she rides to the forest. I wonder why?” Arthur sighed. “I did give her my word that I will not have the guards to trail her. I have to oblige on my words.”

“And to the Sarmatians? Are you ready to send them off? Do we have another land for them?” Merlin asked. He looked at the skies and knew the season was coming to an end.

“No, I have not. They will move but to where I have no idea. The Augustus land belongs to Camelot but it's fertile land and I will not share it.” Arthur said.

“The Marcellus land is now with Lord Bors and the Elders as they have also claimed Lord Ban’s land. And with Sir Kay missing and unknown till today, there are sentiments that it was the Sarmatians who had done him in.” Arthur added in. “The other knights have not returned from their quest. I know not if they have the Grail.”

“You must have patience, Arthur.” Merlin cut in.

“Patience when my knights are missing and unknown to us. A war that may begin anytime and a Queen that refused to speak to me. Tell me, druid. What will avert all my concerns?”

“I don’t know. Maybe the Grail will settle your conflicts or maybe not but you must prevail. You are the King.”

It was then a Roman emissary from France had arrived. He asked to see Arthur and was admitted.

“I come with a request for aid to fight the Normans at Normandy. Our armies are stretch with conflicts with the local Lords and King. He claims the land from us. His name is King Lot. We will cede you the coastal land for your aid.”

“We will come to your aid,” Arthur replied. He then called on the knights to be ready.

“Arthur, we can’t all go. We need to have someone here in Camelot.” Merlin advised him.

“Yes, I will ride with most of them, but we can leave…. Belvedere, Mordred, and the Green Knight will remain here. They will protect Camelot.” Arthur said. “Tristan will ride with me. That young needed to fight to quell his anger. Lamorak will be fine without him. Gaheris and Gawain will ride too.”

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...