Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Arthur II Book IV Chapter 15

 

15.

Jaseth approached the old silver mine dressed in the green armor and held the halberd with both his hands. The request was heard by him that a demon lurked inside. He turned to look at his aide, Mordred then also in silvery armor with the Elf sword on the waist belt. He held a battle-ax with the double blade. The younger knight held the torch unlighted then.

“Are you ready, Mordred?” Jaseth asked. He has been coaching the young knight in the art of demon-slaying and found him a fast learner.

“Then we will move in now.” Jaseth took the first step into the mine tunnel and soon darkness engulfed him. Mordred held up the torch which he had lighted. The burning torch lit up the tunnel ahead and around. Jaseth saw the ground was littered with bones that may be of Man’s. He walked on and soon they appeared at the cavern. Mordred lighted up some pieces of discarded wood and soon the cavern was brightened by the flames. It was a cavern that the size of a hall but instead of furniture, it held only bones and more tunnels ahead. The ceiling of the cavern was crude and bared with jagged edges that resembled stakes pointed downwards.

Jaseth counted four tunnels to explore ahead.

“Do we proceed?” Mordred asked.

“No, we will call them out,” Jaseth replied and then he struck the halberd against the cavern walls. It raised an eerie noise that carried towards the tunnel. The wait was short and the demons soon appeared. There were three of them that stepped out of the tunnels.

“Ogre!” Mordred called out. He had seen them in the other realm but they kept their distance from him. He could not remember why but there were glimpses of images recalled by him.

“How do you know that?” Jaseth asked.

“I don’t know. I just remembered.” Mordred then looked at the ogres. The ogres are huge and taller than man by more than half of the height. It was their hideous appearance with pockmarked skin and wide body frame. They held the stone clubs crafted from the stones. The ogres are strong in their strength but lacked speed in movement.

“Be careful, Mordred. They are dangerous.” Jaseth leveled his halberd and charged at the ogre. Mordred did the same and rushed at the ogres.

Jaseth swung the halberd at the legs and caught one of them there. The ogre screamed out when the halberd cut the left leg at the thigh. It fell backward clutching the wounded leg, while Mordred had swung the ax at the ogre’s feet. The blade of the axe had cleaved the left feet and then with a mighty swing, Mordred lifted the axe to do a left swing at the waist. The axe impacted instead on the right arm of the ogre and severed it there. The third ogre had swung the stone club and hit Mordred on the left shoulder. Mordred fell back with his shoulder throbbing in pain. Jaseth had then thrust the halberd into the ogre he was fighting, and then rushed to assist Mordred.

“I am fine. The demons are escaping.” Mordred called out to Jaseth when he saw the surviving ogres have retreated into the tunnels.

“Let them be. We have done our part to remove one and the others will not return.” Jaseth told him,

“We can still pursue…” Mordred saw his old wound inflicted by Lancelot at the tournament. The wound won’t heal since then. “I will be fine.”

“No, Mordred. I won’t risk it. The tunnels are long and dark. More to it, the mine is without any silver. I will seal it when we leave.” Jaseth then helped Mordred up and then they took leave of the cavern. Once they reached outside, Jaseth sealed the mine with boulders that he rolled onto the entrance.

“I am a hindrance to you, Green Knight.” Mordred looked at Jaseth.

“No, you are not. You are a good knight but you need to heal the wound. I will take you to see Merlin.”

If only it was easy to heal the wounds of the mind. Sir Kay was unpleased that justice was not served for Lamorak. He had confronted Belvedere but the other had told him that Arthur had decided. Sir Kay was not pleased with that. He had left Gurnion and made his camp near the Sarmatians settlement. He sat there alone and thought of the works he may do. He was without his armor and only wore the tunic and his sword was by his side.

“You are here to keep us guarded?” Sir Kay looked at the one who spoke. It was the Sarmatians’ leader, Slaine.

“I remember you, Sarmatians.  You are their leader.” Sir Kay drew his sword. “I do not fear you.”

“You need not be.” Slaine signaled the others. The arrows released struck at Sir Kay on his chest and limbs. Two arrowed pierced his right thigh. The knight staggered on the impacts. He looked at his body and saw five arrows on the front and felt another three at the rear.

“You attack me as a coward. As you did on Lamorak.” Sir Kay stood upright. “I can still fight you.”

The next volley of arrows impacted on his arms and legs causing Sir Kay to fall to his knees. He felt the weakness in his arms and dropped the sword.

“There is no shame in winning.” Slaine swung the scimitar that removed Sir Kay from his head. He then told the others to cut the body and scattered it in the forest.

“Let the predators have their meal of him. Remove the arrows.” It was the way Slaine handed his enemies after he slaughtered them

It was not how Molly would have handled things but she did what was needed. She dragged the drunken Tristan to the chamber above. Lamorak had taken his stay there in hers but was shocked when Tristan was dragged there.

“He has been drowning in his sorrow for you or himself, I know not what. I would have kicked the likes of him out but he claims to be your kin.” Molly dropped the drunken knight on the flooring. “Speak to him. I will get the water to freshen him.”

“Molly, why do you care about them? I have seen you…” Lamorak was cut off.

“The brothers? Yes. I had dragged them here too. Even Gawain and Gaheris were fighting over the ungrateful lady. Yes, I have dragged more to this chamber.” Molly smiled. “I guess my children do not do much to me.”

“Like me. I am a cripple and you offered me you’re bedding.” Lamorak looked at her. “What did he do that you have to drag him here? I don’t think it was the mead alone.”

“I heard Belvedere had called on Arthur. He said that Sir Kay is missing and may be in trouble. Arthur needed his knights more than ever.”

“Sir Kay missing? He may have wandered off.” Lamorak said. “He is a free wanderer.”

“No, you don’t understand. There are more. Sir Kay was seen near the Sarmatians settlement. His disappearance held them in suspicion. The knights have requested for war. Arthur is pressed to act.”

“No! I have to stop this. Arthur has given his word to them. I am pleased with the arrangement. I am given the land there.” Lamorak told Molly. “I will be a landowner.”

“Does it matter, Lamorak? What about the Sarmatians?” Molly looked at the crippled knight.

“When I joined the Legion, I gave my pledge to put my life for the Legion, in return for land and citizenship. I am a year away from my oath of service and now a cripple. I was injured not in battle but by a cowardly act. I will not get my right as a Legionnaire. I can’t fight anymore but I will get my land.”

Molly sighed at the words of the knight. Men are always greedy. They only want and want it all while we are burdened by their giving.

“Enough! I will not have you on my bedding anymore.”

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...