Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Dante Book 1 Canto 1 Chapter 1

 

Chronicles of Dante’s

The Journey of Life Events of Man.



 

Jimmy Loong

11/4/2021 to 3/5/21

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)

 

Part One

 

Introduction and Notes to the Tale.

On the day of me having celebrated the living years in my lifetime, I had embarked on the challenge of doing an adaption of the Divine Comedy (The Divine Comedy (ItalianDivina Commedia [diˈviːna komˈmɛːdja]) is a long Italian narrative poem by Dante Alighieri, begun c. 1308 and completed in 1320, a year before his death in 1321.) or you can read it here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy

Initially, it looked like fun to adapt that. I had the storyline had differed to the future with a glimpse of scifi. But what I did not bargain for was the reference to the belief then. I did read articles on the Divine Comedy but nothing prepared me for the depth of the tale, and its relevance to God. 

Okay, no major issue there. I had my tale adapted, and after a series of more readings and writing, I have done what I will call Part One. In the original tale, there are 99 Cantos split equally into 33 Cantos per part; Hell, Purgatory and Heaven. I did up to 13 Canto for Part One of Hell over a month of reading and writing, at 37,469 words. 

Beforehand, I have to convey my apologies if I may have offended anyone in the faith on the references in my tale. This is not the Divine Comedy but an adaption and there were changes to its contents.

And I hope you will read it for the literary works.

Cheers

 

 


 

Prelude


“Dante Alighieri, I am telling you that you are a fool to volunteer your life in this war for Empress Beatrice. You owe her nothing but she does to you the right to live.” The words reached the mind of the male figure in his mid-thirties, then covered in dust and dirt over the clothes he wore for over a month, uncleaned and torn in the seams. The man named Dante, as he was fondly called by his friends placed on a weak smile was leaning against the tree trunk there, shrugged his shoulders. He was dressed in the uniform of the Empress Volunteer Army; grey and dark shades of the tunic and pants, tucked into the laced boots over his feet. He had a headcover but it was long gone, and his hair was untidy and streaked to below his shoulders. His facial was covered by the unkempt growth of hair, and his eyes were weary in the expression. He had on the vest with the multitude of slots to hold the tools provided by the Army; the few bars of energy packs for the handgun and rifle assigned to him, the nursing band-aids should he be wounded, and the torch for the night patrols. He has the dagger tucked into his waist belt for the close personal wraths.

“Are you mocking us, Marcello? We are so named six volunteers here although most of us were recruited in by vile methods.” The one seated next to Dante addressed the person who was talking earlier. That was Stefan who the most experienced in the squad. Stefan had volunteered to the Army after his retirement from the long service after three tours of six years each and was forced to retire, but he volunteered the last three years.

“Yes, we are all loyal subjects to Empress Beatrice of the Imperial Regime.” Marcello laughed out loud. He then turned towards Dante. “I thought you were…”

“I was one too. I have been a fool for all my learning years but I was not prepared for this. I am a scholar of words but….” Dante sighed. “Truly wasted efforts they were.”

“Wasted indeed, for now, you are putting your life for the Empress in a war which will not end with your death. Tell me some words of solace for your effort, learned one?”

Dante searched his mind and came up with these lines.

So bitter is it, death is little more;
  But of the good to treat, which there I found,
  Speak will I of the other things I saw there.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1001/1001-h/1001-h.htm#CantoI.I (Translated works of Dante’s Inferno to English)

“It’s from Dante’s Inferno, the early lines of his poem. Like him, I felt death is little more, but I will find more that I sought.”

“Words, Learned one. It means nothing to all of us here with you. How long have we fought this war? Six years and you the learned friend, you are in it for over six months.”

“Alas, I was a learned man. Since before the war for six years, I had not used my skills on the writing materials with the words telling the experiences of my life, although I did my service of God, for five years before I volunteered and yet…” Dante was interrupted by Marcello who earlier questioned his role there.

“Dante Alighieri, I…” Dante heard the other but seldom had he used his full name.

“Benevolent one,” Dante taking on the tone of sarcasm. “I preferred to call on as Dante VI, as the name given by my mother; Bella, taken from the poet which I had recited a small part of his poem.” Dante told the other. “She named me for it meant enduring; lasting or ever ---”

“Your poet’s poem may had endured itself the generations, but would yours to endure for the Empress here end with your death?” Marcello who was been mocking Dante sounded out. “Where is your father in this naming? Mr. Alighieri? He’s around?”

“Marcello Quinto, one more word out of you on Dante’s …” The new voice to lend challenge to defend Dante’s honour was another named Stefan Denarii. He was their current squad leader upon the death of the previous one, Senior Volunteer Claude Degas. They were eight when Dante came to join them making their numbers to nine. In that six months, they lost three of their men to make it down to six.

“It’s okay, Stefan.” Dante eased the tension then. “My father, Alighieri di Bellincione X. God rest his soul.”

“A Guelph! I know your kind.” Marcello roared out. “Supporter of the Pope who was acceded the power of the Emperor then, when it was to be delegated to the Stauffer’s and the Dukes upon the death of the last Emperor. As like once before. Politics and power go in circles, and never ending till the end of time, it may.”

“Ghibellines! Stop dragging the rife between your kind and his. We are here to battle in a war that is now an extension of your conflict. An Empress against the Emperor, a country split by half, brothers and sisters looking to kill each other …” Stefan snapped at Marcello. “It’s a civil war, you fool.”

“Second Civil War, Stefan.” Marcello called out. “The first was out forefathers’ generations ago, and now our blood feud once more. Am I wrong, poet? The Guelph and the Ghibellines; bah, we are never to settle our feud any time here or even after death.”

“Like us here where we wore the Imperial insignia to kill the other. I wonder if our heart bears the same motive without the war?” Marcello glared at Dante. He then looked at Stefan. “I am not for the Empress or the deranged Emperor but the country to be one again. I am fighting to end the war. We all bleed the same shade of blood and cries to the same pain.”

“Heed those words, poet who is here. Those are my beliefs here.” Marcello sneered at Dante. The latter was to reply when he heard the call of alert that their superior officer was to attend them. The squad of six volunteers stood up from their restful position and waited for their officer.

“At ease, men.” Junior Officer Glauca Meniere approached the squad. He was dressed like them, with the exception he had on the steel helmet that gave him the added protection to his head. He stopped before the six men and ignored their untidy appearance or their non-conformity to salute a senior officer.

“Third Squad, you are given two tasks to perform. In the first one, you will take the right flanking position while the main Sixth and Ninth companies take the front. Your task will be to counter any flanking move by the other side.”

“Officer Meniere, what can the six of us do when the attacking numbers exceed us?” It was Stefan who queried the move. He had fought in many battles and knew when one was a suicidal move like the one where they were to embark on.

“Volunteer Stefan, you are promoted to Senior Volunteer, and to your question, hold the line as to allow us to send you reinforcements.” The Officer looked hard at Stefan. “You should know that we don’t question orders handed to us.”

“God help us.” It was Dante who uttered those words of comfort and was snapped on by Marcello.

“Dante, spare the Pope to seek your help from God. We are seeing the Almighty soon.” Marcello laughed.

“And our second task?” Stefan asked like a good soldier.

“Ah, yes. That one is to gather intelligence on an enemy base here. We are across the enemy boundary and there were reports of a hidden base.” The Officer gave the brief on it. “You are to affirm the location only.”

“Squad, prepare to move out in three. We are short of time here now.” The Officer then looked at Dante. He handed over the pouch he had slung over his left shoulder.

“Inside the bag is the communication set which you can call us to raise reinforcements.” The Officer reached in to draw out the metallic orb unit that fitted into his right hand. “It's called VIRGIL.”

Dante heard of VIRGIL (Vigilance Remote Guard Intelligence); an automation unit used for intelligence gathering and communications. It was able to project holographic projection in communications.

“This unit is adapted to the enemy’s frequencies and will be able to tap into their communications, hence may give you an advantage there. We added a weapon to it. It’s a Sonar Emitter and can be harmful to whoever it was projected on. It's only short burst but lethal.” The Officer placed the unit onto Dante’s right hand. “Among the squad members, you are the learned one and may find it useful.”

“Officer, I am not a killer. I have only…” Dante abhors killing. It was a sin to him, unforgivable by God.

“Volunteer, I knew you were a preacher before, and allow me to recite these lines for you; For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. God will forgive you for that.”

“But can I forgive myself?” Dante questioned back.

“We never do which is why comes Judgment Day, we let God do it for us.” The Officer smiled and then walked away.

“Move out in three.” Stefan the newly appointed leader called out. “And may you come back alive.”


 Note: This is my first draft and may you enjoy it as much as I did the write. Thanks.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...