Friday, December 25, 2015

The Planet 5.3

5.3 Dmitri

The Corsair was all shaken up and covered in dust. He was dusting off the dirt from his sleeves and then his neck. He had recovered somewhat and had sat down on his haunches. I stood over him with the rifle aimed at the corner.

“They are all dead.” Dmitri was muttering to himself. “I had to. It was the only way.”

“What happened?” I shouted. The man was not replying so I dragged him up. I pushed him to the front and got him running. The later was what he’s good at then. He soon outpaced me but I kept up. I then recalled then there may be more of them on our flank. I went for the pencil explosives on my pack. I did not checked what it was but I knew where the pin was. I pulled it and then tossed it.

The pencil explosive went off. It was a fragmented model and it caused some structural damages. Part of the walls collapsed but we behind it. I ran with my sight on Dmitri who kept on running, He ran on without stopping. He turned a wrong corner. I had to stop him.

“Stop!” I shouted but the man was past listening. He was running scared. I tried to catch him but he was faster. I thought I lost him around the next corner but there he was. He had stopped and was catching his breath. I came up to him and landed the punch. He fell down on his knees while I held back my anger to land another punch.

“You fool. Stop when I tell you.” I hollered to the man’s ear. “I am here to ….save you.”

The last two words came out with a hollow sound. He was enemy and I cared not if he lived but orders were to find out why. And Dmitri had that one reason to be spare the death penalty. I grabbed him up and then pulled him with me. I was heading back to the Main Control Section. He got a better reception when we arrived.

“You bastard!” Peggy swung at me with her right fist. That was gratitude for me when I brought her friend through. I deflected the punch with my rifle barrel and then pushed Dmitri in. The man slipped but Peggy had him cushioned for another fall. Peggy ignored me and took care of her friend while I staggered in. The running and the excitement took its toll then on me.

“So you found him? Do you know why?” Duggan stepped in but his glare was on Dmitri. He was looking for the other if he had any arms. He saw the sidearm and then reached for it. He pulled it out before throwing it aside. I had not reply and that agitated him.

“Do I need to say please to get a reply?” Duggan was at his best; sarcasm at his tone. I shook my head and then replied.

“No, I don’t know why. I intercepted him at the corridor. He ran and I chased him. I caught him and he is here.” Damned best line of reply I could find. Duggan looked at me with his dismal expression. I knew that expression. It meant I was screwed. He then stepped way and went off to look for the couple.


Damn good choice, Duggan. Leave me alone here, you bastard. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...