Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Planet 5.1

5.

5.1 Cavern

Duggan and I rushed to the side with the rifle leveled at the droids. The cavern was small with the dusty conditions but the hard stone wall was a relief to us when our back reached it. We have not fired the rifles yet but so were the droids; they have not moved since they landed.

It looked to be a standoff.

I looked across at Machete. He was not moving but at least I could see the breathing in his chest. He was alive from the looks but his face was a smear of oil and blood. We were constructs but we never asked who had what; it was personal I guess. Well, I knew then Machete had half his face covered in metal but he still looked like shit.

It was then the droids moved.

“They sure took their time.” Duggan cried out and then fired his rifle at the droid head. He was no sharpshooter but he made some deadly impact on one. One of the droids had its head blown off but the other two were ganging up on us. My shooting was atrocious with my feel of fear. I disliked to be killed by droids even though I came close to it many times. Sometimes the fear drove me to fight better but then there were moments like then. I was in fright while gripping my rifle. I fired holding it at waist level and the projectiles were hitting it but it was not slowing down the droid. I managed to damage the upper left limbs but it was near enough to hit with the other limb.

The blow landed on my left shoulder and caused the rifle to shoot lower. It was a God sent relief. My misplaced shot actually crippled the droids; its tracks were blown off. It staggered there and tried to move but the treads were falling off. I steadied myself and leveled the rifle at the droid head. I pulled the trigger and blew the droid of its processor there. That was the second unit I blown off today.

I felt braver then.

I smiled.

It was a cheesy thought.

“John, we still have one more to handle. It was ….” Duggan called out. “Shit! It had gone missing.”

I looked around and could not make out the droid. It was the dust that we stirred up. It was stifling our view. I wished then I had the bionic eye like Peggy. I saw it. It was covered in the dust and tried to camouflage with the wall. I leveled my rifle and fired away. It was point blank shooting but that was where we hope to get lucky with the shots. I must have blown all the remaining energy from the pack and all I got was its upper limbs. It was still functional and it was still dangerous. I was out of the energy in the pack. I had to reload but the darn droid was too near. I backed up and it was then Duggan who took his shot at it.

Blitz.

That was how it sounded when you listen hard on the sound of the energy projectile. The shot took off the droid head.
It was a good shot.

“John, are you losing your nerves?” Duggan was upset. “How could you miss?”

I looked away. I don’t know. I was not like this before. I was all edgy ever since we landed. I brushed off the dirt on my sleeves. 

It was everywhere.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...