Sunday, February 15, 2015

Tweet ...tweet.... 15/2 ... I am ...

Since the closing of last year and into the first month of 2015, I have not written any words, but thankfully,I have a archive of tales to publish have kept me updating. Today I completed Loki; not my best but it was a good tale to read. I am going to start on another Shakespeare' tragedy; befit me for my current state of mind.

Coriolanus.

Who?

Coriolanus was a tragedy by William Shakespeare, believed to have been written between 1605 and 1608. The play is based on the life of the legendary Roman leader Caius Marcius Coriolanus. The tragedy is numbered as one of the last two tragedies written by Shakespeare along with Antony and Cleopatra. 

Coriolanus was the name given to a Roman general after his more than adequate military success against various uprisings challenging the government of Rome. Following this success, Coriolanus becomes active in politics and seeks political leadership. His temperament is unsuited for popular leadership and he is quickly deposed, whereupon he aligns himself to set matters straight according to his own will. The alliances he forged to accomplish his own will result in his ultimate downfall and death. 

Coriolanus as a tragedy by Shakespeare is normally not included in the canonical list of outstanding plays written by Shakespeare usually reserved for Othello, Macbeth, Hamlet, and King Lear. It is often staged in full theatre productions and has recently been featured as a full-length film under the same title with the leading role played by Ralph Fiennes.

The one I wrote was adapted from his original play scripts with the influence of the movie by Ralph Fiennes. You could say it was a re-write of the movie's adaption but with my own interpretations. 

Why Shakespeare tragedies?

I really don't know why. I started on the Tempest out of some reading and then research into it before I came up with the idea of the Asylum. After doing that, I happened to come across Othello in the web and moved into it. On Coriolanus, it was the play script in an obscure bookstore before I moved onto Titus on reading some reviews on the play in London.I have not sat through a single Shakespeare play except for Coriolanus ( that was a movie adaption. ). I tried to do the Scottish Tale ( aka Macbeth) but never got started on it. 

Maybe one day when I straighten up my life issues. Meantime, please enjoy on the print soon the tale of a sad General from Rome. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...