Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dorothy of Oz ( A remake of the tale )


This is a sneak preview of my latest tale ( still gunning away ) besides two others or was it three I am writing on.

It a new take on the popular tale of the Wizard of Oz. This one is .....Gee, I don't know. I just did this opening lines this morning.

Here the first draft of the first chapter.




1. The Farm


"I be darned; these scavengers would never take a refusal for an answer." That was Zeke; the youngest and most reckless assistant of the three siblings hired by Uncle Henry to work on the farm. Zeke stood up over the ridge and fired off some blasts into the approaching locust like beings. They are known here in the farmlands as the Scavengers; they just like to grab and leave. Its okay if they are taking only a handful but these darned beings are like namesake; they gobbled more than they can stuff in. More to it, they come with their siblings and siblings associates; and before you can say 'sweet mama' they had descended fifteen generations on the corps. Unlike the locusts you see on other planets, these are half locust with a four legs on the lower torso, and a set of twin wings. Their appearance were made more fearful by the twin orbs thay called eyes covering half their facial expression with a set of twin mouths lined up one above the other to consumed faster than any beings known.

"Hick, I think I got the 3rd paddy in the eyes, but the 2nd mama is still hovering over the corps." Zeke shouts to his older cousin, Hickory 'Doc' Claude. Hick has a google clad expression on a tall lanky man despite his years of back bending works, but his fingers are well manicured for his other profession as the healer in this vast farmlands. He delivered more farm creatures than the number of times he harvested the corps. His third profession was pest exterminator which was why they end up working on Uncle Henry' farm. Uncle Henry adventurous plot of land was at the fringe of the farmlands; virgin soil to be implanted with the seedlings of the corps. It may the fringe, but its also close proximity to the badlands where the predators thrive with large numbers.

"Zeke, I got the mama in the womb. She won't be laying eggs no more." That would be Hunk the last of the three siblings from the Claude lineage. Hunk like his name sake bears the frame of muscles well, but unlike Zeke for reckless; Hunk can be considered as mad. There he was then; standing upright facing the mass of locusts with his rotary cannons held in the arm like a loving babe cradled to sleep. The rotary cannon of over a meter in length at the barrel spew its deadly blasts to mow down the approaching locusts. Its power sockets holder stored on a picket belt loaded from the back pack; after being pumped into the cannon loader can be seen lying all around the mad man.

"Hunk, you git your butt down on the cover or I would have Aunt Em, drying your carcass on the hill." Zeke called on his middle cousin to seek some cover. Hunk always felt that he was invulnerable from any attacks, although he spent more time at the Infirmary compared the others.

I counted the boys have taken their share of the approaching mass and its time for me to make my entrance now.

"Lady ready to romp in the haystack now!" I holler out as I rushed out of my hiding post behind the other ridge at the right end.

My name is Dorothy Gale; in my teens sporting a close cropped haircut that looked like an ancient monastery novice but dressed like a teeny hipper. The light brown shaded tight body suit with matching knee high felt lined boots cover my body from the exposure of the elements but it also accentuate my growing beauty to any gender that may take pleasure in admiring it. But today I have placed on my top a dark jacket and around my hips a wide belt with pockets for my accessories. Unlike the boys, I do not carry any phaser blaster rifles or hand units. My weapon is my voice which can bring down a structure of over five levels to the foundation.

I am a Banshee creature; one that utilized the voice to remove any threats. I was born with it; a genetic flawed in the family with only one of us in every five generations. Talking about having the odd one in every generation, this black lamb comes only once every five generation on my mother side. Due to my birth right, my parents were separated and I was sent off to stay with my Uncle Henry farm; isolated and hardly patronized by anyone.

I ran across the line of approaching locusts with my face and voice facing the approaching locusts. My vocals pierced into their body structure dropping the wings, and limbs as I ran diagonal in their path. The locusts dropped by the numbers as I raced across while the boys have held onto their trigger to let this lady have her romp here. I stopped in my tracks after a run of over a hundred meters before I half crouched to grab back my breath. I turned around to look at trail I left behind. I could had counted more than three dozens lying there on the ground. The other surviving locusts have all retreated back to the Badlands.

"Dorothy, you dunked them all in one chorus again." Zeke was the first to congratulate me. He likes me and must ahd outrun the rest to seek me out. I nodded my head to him and smiled. Next to congratulate was Hunk and then followed by Hicks. I am telling you out here in the farm, you choices are what you can laid your eyes on. Right now, mine was on Hicks but he did once indicate to me that he had no interest in pursuing the love of another as he find his current lifestyle was quite satisfying. I had wished then I could had stuff the corn cob down his throat, but I had to relent on that for other time. He may see me through one day, and there are more to a corn cob in this planet.

"Dorothy Gale!" Its my uncle and he does not looked like he is here to complement me on saving his crops.

"You are needed in the Enforcement Office. Your .....rascally doggone flea infested being ..... Well, he dropped his oily liquid on Mrs. Gulch boots. You know how much she valued her .... dressing but your pet got to do it on her." Uncle Henry is a all rounder in the frame and with the current exertions imposed on his frame, its a wonder he could still speak to me. "I want you to clear the charges and above all apologize to Mrs.Gulch."

"Me saying 'I am sorry, Mrs.Gulch'. You might as asked me to be staked on the Badlands to be ravished by the Grand Vultures." I protested strongly to him, which made him very irritated to be told off in front of the boys. But he knows my character very well, being my mother's younger sibling.

Uncle Henry pulled me aside as the boys meekly moved away to picked up the dead locusts.

"Dorothy Gale," Uncle Henry paused in his reply. "Please get the charges lifted. I would get your Aunt Em to see Mrs.Gulch."

I nodded to my Uncle's request as I walked off to my racer bike. Its a single seater 'Track Speed Bike' build for enthusiast who likes to feel the feel of running at high-speed without much care on safety. For the exploration uses, it has a built in comms unit and a mounted metal projectile gun on each side of the front of the bike. Its a mean machine for one likes to ride wild. The ride’s helmet has a a builtin on screen data update on the mechanics and performance of the bike projected on their visor.

I sped towards the County Building structure near the Space Station. No one holds my pet without my permission.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...