Sunday, November 14, 2021

Dante Book III Canto XXV11 Scene I

 Canto XXVII

The Eighth Circle: Fraud

Bolgia 8: Counsellors of Fraud II

Scene I

 

“Virgil, do hold up. I have a cramp in my left leg.” Dante called out to the companion of his. Both had taken not a far a walk past the field of flames, and Dante being of flesh and soul needed the respite.

Or so he claimed.

Virgil remained standing and looking away to the path ahead. Dante knew his companion was still upset with the discussion he had with Ulysses. Dante then took to tell a short tale while he rubbed his left leg.

“Virgil, are you still thinking of Ulysses? Let me relate to you a tale I once heard.” Dante began his tale. “There were two monks on their way back to the monastery. One was an elder and the other a novice. They came upon a lady who was in distress by the roadside. She told them that she sprained her ankle and needed to be carried.”

“Now the monks had a sworn oath not to touch any who are not of their gender but the elder monk offered to carry the lady on his back. He did so and carried the lady to her home which was nearby. He then returned to re-join his other brother in faith to resume their journey.”

“I can’t walk with you for you have sinned.” The other monk said to the one who carried the lady to her home. “We have a sworn oath not to hold or touch another gender. More to it, you carried her on your back.”

“Did I? I had forgotten all about it. I recalled was I did a good deed for another living soul. If I am judged to break my vow, then I will gladly fully receive the punishment but why do you think of it otherwise? You may have sinned for you have thoughts of the lady and her proximity with me, giving you the sights that I did not hold.”

“I ---"

“Young one, your mind corroded my efforts. I was sincere with my assistance but you were having evil thoughts of it. When a wife invites her husband back home. She offered him the love that was to be shared as one. Unlike a lover who may invite another to her bed, she held other thoughts in her intention.”

“That concludes my tale. What we think of will be our thoughts when we are judged. Ulysses had his abilities which were why he was recruited by Agamemnon to battle in the war. He called on Achilles who he had the vision of leading the army there. He had to use his abilities to deceive Achilles to reveal himself when the other was impersonating a lady. He had no thoughts that the war was to take so long which he owed Achilles’ lover the apology. He deceived the Trojan with the Horse, and yes, he took away their totem of courage, the Palladium. He did all that with his abilities. For that, he was judged here. It may sinful to misuse your abilities.”

“Are the ones who misused their abilities here?” Virgil asked.

“I believed so, but their sins may be numerous and at different levels, they are kept here in Hell. You saw for yourself the punishment of each level. As I had once the admiration of the ex-General that we spoke of earlier. He was once my hero than for he was Guelph but he used his abilities to war not on the other enemy at the borders, but of his hatred for Ghibelline. Their squabbles caused us to retreat in shame at the defeats. He was executed by his men and the front lines remained intact but we lost many then. The General held great abilities but he was selfish in the act.” Dante said.

“Ulysses was never a hero to me. He was the cause of my own to quarrel with the others considered as Romans for generations. We are now into the twenty-third century, and how many have we battle and fought in anger because of our ancestors.” Virgil looked at Dante. “I was saddened for an event like the Trojan War and many others split the nation when it came to their legacies. Just as we battle now when we are all of one creation.”

“Perhaps that was why there are sins to be committed and the place to repent is here in Hell. Even for the one worship as heroes.” Dante sighed.

“Who goes there? I heard the voices of heroes.” A voice called out from the field and a flame flickered higher, to reveal a soul that was unlike that of Ulysses but more towards the form of nobility.

How do you describe a person of nobility? Nobility is a social class normally ranked immediately below royalty and found in some societies that have a formal aristocracy. Nobility has often been an estate of the realm that possessed more acknowledged privilege and higher social status than most other classes in society. The privileges associated with nobility may constitute substantial advantages over or relative to non-nobles or may be largely honorary (e.g., precedence), and vary by country and era. Membership in the nobility, including rights and responsibilities, is typically hereditary. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobility).

It was seen in their frame which stood out on over-confidence or in some lewd terms, arrogance.

“I am Guido da Montefeltro VII. The Count is my stately title” The soul bray out. Even in the ages of the twenty-third century, such a category still exists although many ranked with the commoners in privileges.

“He farts more.” Another voice in the field called out. “Evict him for he fouls our space.”

“Donatello, I will have you banished.” The courtly soul snapped at the other. “As I was saying, I am Count Guido and I heard you mentioned heroes. Is there any you mentioned that I may have known? I had counseled many in the Courts and failed them I did not.”

“Oh, the fart here is stinky.” The same voice roared out and a series of laughter was followed.

“Pray do tell me, passer-by of the souls. Are you from the City of Romagna? I require its news.” The Count asked.

“We are not of there, but Romagna as I was to know was not involved in the war. They declared themselves neutral in the conflict and was spared of the destruction.” Dante replied. He had not been to Romagna but the Royals there declared them ‘non involvere’. The warring parties had used them as healing states for the wounded or to partake in clandestine activities although it was not sanctioned there.

“Bless thee, my ancestors. I have emerged from thy shadows to rank with you in the art of survivor.” The Count raised his hands to his heart. “I do declare…”

“Hold your noses. The fart is to come.” The others in the fields roared.

“I was to say,” The Count frowned on the reception he was given. “I was saying his Grace had sought me out to advise on the Art of War. I am an avid learner of it from Hannibal, to Alexander the Great and even the infamous Caesar. I even studied from Akbar; I doubt any of you knew him. He was from the east…”

我在孫子學” (Translated from Traditional Chinese I studied under Sun Tzu) Another voice called out.

織田信長と戦った。私はここに所属していません.” (Translated from Japanese I fought with Oda Nobunaga. I don't belong here.).

“Hey, this is my Hell. Go back to yours, warriors, or please allow me to speak. I am addressing one of my own. Vicini ficcanaso. (In English Nosy neighbors).” The Count muttered those last words and then looked at Dante. 

“I was famed to be even consulted by the then Pope Boniface to provide him guide on warring. I told him I am Man of peace. I joined the “Rights to Live” movement. We protest many wars but the will of the other was too strong. I told I had repented from the warring nature hut I had to cave into his demands and forced by him to give counsels.”

“What did he ask of you?” Virgil cut in.

“He made me sell --- to get more arms for him. He paid me handsomely though. I was offered repentance if I agreed. And I agreed and was to be saved by the saints but ---” The Count saw the dark shade cherub appeared.

“We intervened. He may have repented in the eyes of God, but he did give bad advice hence we took him in here to Hell. Repentance with a few words which may be hollowed in the act is also considered as a sin. We banished him here.”

“I was misjudged.” The Count called out. “Hear me out pleas here. Bring me Boniface VIII. He will attest for my repentance.”

“He is on the other side of Hell with his punishment, Count. What I disliked of you was that you think by changing the cloak, you will be released from your punishment. Let me tell you this, Count. Even if you are wearing the Emperor’s new clothes, your penance will await you.” Dante was annoyed. “Arms dealers kill regardless even though the trigger was not pulled by them.”

“A sinner was allowed to repent before death?” The Count pleaded. “Why not me?”

We cast aside our evil habits; we became humble, tolerant, we helped others, and we became able to give things up and expend ourselves. There were indeed some changes in our behavior, yet it is undeniable that we have not rid ourselves of the shackles of sin, and still often live amid sin, unable to escape. Sometimes, we may be capable of forbearance and self-control for a time, but the moment it becomes too much for us, we are still liable to commit evil. When such things are exposed and manifested in us, and we have yet to escape the shackles of sin, can it be said that we have truly repented?” Dante quoted excerpts of the Book. (https://www.holyspiritspeaks.org/testimonies/how-to-repent-to-God/?gclid=CjwKCAjwv_iEBhASEiwARoemvHPB-5crQfCkmO6sV7fMZiejMYTcLec8Fg2L44au-jvCPOh-E9MZ9RoCcXgQAvD_BwE)

Dante walked on ignoring the call of the Count. Virgil caught up and asked of Dante.

“Emperor’s new clothes? Seriously.”

“The Count is wearing that now and his sins are seen. Its ---" Dante held back his words then. “Digusting.”

 

 

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...