Sunday, November 21, 2021

Dante Book III Canto XXV111 Scene II

 Scene II

 

Dante was to be led past the others and none had he spoken. He reached the end and the cherub told him that he can leave. The cherub turned to leave but Virgil stopped him with a question.

“Why did you lead us there? And why ---”

“Why was I there at the entrance? The bolgia is here unlike any you may had seen or experienced. Here, you saw sinners but the mode of punishment looks most extreme. It’s alike a killing in the living soul; the forceful removal of the soul from the body except here, the action is repeatedly experienced.”

“You are a man of science and may had heard of the concept of Mortality salience; it’s the awareness by individuals that their death is inevitable. It was speculated that when faced imminent death, the mind registered its last seconds of life before it died. That scene can be replayed numerous times in the mind, and yet each time they can’t recalled of it.” The cherub spoke to Virgil. “It was called life review experience.”

“It was never proven.” Virgil snapped back.

“Admittedly true, because no living soul returned from death. Maybe not, but we can leave out Lazarus. He was ---an exceptional.” The cherub spoke. ““We all feared death. No one wants to die. The fear of death was compounded by the learnings that we will end up in Hell or Heaven. You had seen what Hell have to offer and it was not pleasant but ‘necessario per disciplinare la mente e l'anima’ (Italian translated needed to discipline the mind and soul.). You heard that from your mother who told you when you were at the age of five.”

“I did too.” Dante cut in. “It was my first advice given by her.”

“I knew there were similar points in both of you, and that was it.” The cherub laughed. “But I have not answered your question. I was there because your companion, Dante; did not reach here in his last visit. He had not seen the bolgia and how could he be the guide when he had not been guided in. We, the cherubs decided to give you the guide. I was chosen.”

“Please tell me, cherub. Are we are coming to the end of the journey in Hell?” Dante asked.

“Yes, you are. Your journey will end soon but not here.” The cherub replied. “Your learning has not really started yet. It will soon.”

“I ---- Never mind that. Tell me one answer. Does the sinners wanted to be remembered on the living world?”

“Yes, we believed they do. The soul does not want to be forgotten and left to wander forever. To where they always asked. Is my stay here in Hell forever? It may be but where there is a beginning there is the end. We all have the belief that one time to come, we may get repented for our sins. God is just in the punishment and nothing remains the same unless it’s will the sinner.”

“Are you telling me the dead will be revived like in a reincarnation?” Virgil asked. “Even upon my death, the concept of reincarnation is still in dispute. If I was to be, I will have my list of wants and don’t so that my next lifetime will great.”

“Perhaps then you can be reincarnated as a forlorn statue of stone that no one will lay hands on you and you will stay there forever except the pigeons will shat on your head.”

“Funny, cherub but I doubt God will sanction your wish upon me.” Virgil stepped away in anger.

“Don’t despair, my companion. The cherub was teasing you.” Dante consoled his companion. He then turned to the cherub.

“My journey here not ended but had been fulfilling. I may have to thank Beatrice for my task for she gave me the opportunity to see and learn of the misgiving of Man. There will always be sinners but due respect had to be given to them for their ---- abilities, and yet they deserved to be punished here. God is just in judgment.”

“Before you move on, allow me to speak of these words to you.” The cherub said to Dante. “Narrate your findings into a tale, Dante. I stand to quote you from Victor Hugo too. As long as Laws shall exist which read Hells in the midst of Civilisation. So as Men are degraded. Women ruined and Children afraid, So long as they shall be Ignorance, Poverty and Wretchedness on this Earth, Stories such as this one must be told.” (Les Miserables (1978) the Movie presented by Lew Grade, a production of Norman Rosemont.).” The cherub voiced out. “Adieu, voyageur. Vitesse de Dieu.” (From French ‘Farewell, traveller. God speed.)

 

“We move on, my companion. Time waits for no one.” Dante told Virgil.

“I am dead, so what is time to me.” Virgil still in his emotional state of anger followed Dante.

“I had a list done ---” Virgil mumbled there in his walk.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...