Monday, September 13, 2021

Story Write Compilations Volume 2 Stories 21

 My worthless Life

 

Author's Note: This is a view from a man who has resigned to his fate of life. He was interviewed while living on the streets. He felt that he need to correct the view on that.

 

Contests rules:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Funny that you would mention living on the streets when I thought we were all living off the streets all this time. For this hot cup of cocoa, maybe I can tell you what it was like living daily off the streets. Don't get me wrong as I am no vagabond or a hobo as some of you may have presumed from my manners and dressing but I was like you before.

 

I was born to a family of love and care, with some siblings. Our parents were hard workers to earn the money to bring food and shelter to our home. We lived in cramped conditions but we were close to each other. The food we have on the tables was shared by all in whatever proportion that was given by our parents. We never complained of any uneven distribution but we took all that was given. I hardly see my dad when I was young, as he leaves the house before dawn and comes back after we sleep, but when I do sees him is only on the day we are to pray. We did not go to no house of faith but we prayed as a family for the days we had endured and hope for the days of better times to come.

 

Well, it did as we all grew up educated and soon earns a living like many others. Among all the siblings, I was armed with a piece of paper that said I am qualified and the world was mine to partake in its riches. But I find myself joining the labor force jousting for jobs in the weak economy then, but I was determined to make it soon. I did and landed my first job with the pittance of remuneration but it was money to buy food for the family.

 

My family then which included my parents and soon to come was my own family with a working wife that brings in the money to make the needs of life ever reachable by us. It was comforting then although we lived the days to the month-end and watched the coffers filled up for another round of spending. We had added responsibilities with the aged and young ones, but the coffer ever stretched to meet the commitments.

 

Then the storm came; she was taken to ill and I am to hold the bastion. As the struggle comes in, so do the troubles of ill intents. When you tried to find dreams in these moments, the nightmares appeared most of the time. The greed of man takes with no remorse nor care of your concerns. He takes without mercy and hides behind his lies of just duties. You looked into your coffer and you laid your tears to it, hoping like living plants they would grow. But let me tell you, that a tree needs more than sunshine and fresh air. It needs nutrients in this plot of land we all lived on.

 

Bone weary with mind flayed by the endless thoughts of wishing for a miracle, my limbs have to move or the coffer won't be filled. It may be for days as I toiled to ensure all that is needed in the family is taken care of. I stripped the luxuries we once had and maintained the needful only, and that also in the bare portions enough to move onto another day. Soon I find even my hours get depleted but the needs of the family ever increased. I weep for the children but my limbs could do so much.

 

Does God know as he was said to be ever knowing? If so why does he forsake us when we never did on him. Its moments like this I asked myself, is life worth living at all? Why give me hope when young and then take it away when older? If it's the sins of the forefathers we bear, then let them be one who suffered and not the young ones who know not of their action. Pardon me, I am to announce to you; the God does not exist in my life anymore but the Devil does as he taunts some of us with his motives. When we are removed from this plane of existence, I would tell him to send me not back to here for I am not interested in his silly games. Let me be a free spirit with no care or concern of any in my mind.

 

But comes what now, I have to live off it as I walked these streets looking to earn my worth of that single dust of gold among the dirt and grime. But mind you it's not by bad means but an honest mean. I would do what my body allowed me and not bring on more misery to my soul by adding in sins. I ought to be leaving now as it's time for me to rejoin my family. I thank you for the hot drink and you should thank God as he had mercy on your soul.

 

Me? I am thinking there is a street which I can live off of it.

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...