Saturday, October 24, 2020

Tweet tweet 24/10/2020 The war coming...

 A month ago, on 19/09/2020 I embarked on penning the new tale that was in my mind. It was the Trojan War, and it was another tough call. Most of us knew the Trojan epic; the famous wooden horse and of course Helen. The Trojans lost the war. 

That was what I remembered. And then I did some reading. 

The Trojan War involved the Gods and Goddess and that took some reading. The Olympians were an intriguing lot of characters to read on. The brief I had was enlightening compared to my previous understanding of the epic. 

Then I had to set the scenes, and it came with some help from Netflix. I won't reveal much but the tale will. 

And the crucial finding I discovered was the role of Man. Perhaps this will explain the finding.

The Iliad’s horrendous violence against men moves forward from both Agamemnon and Achilles valuing a woman above the lives of thousands of men. No heroic twisting of words is necessary to recognize that gross injustice. Yet few throughout history have been willing to speak of it.
Extract from https://www.purplemotes.net/2016/10/23/homer-palamedes-odysseus/#:~:text=The%20Greek%20leaders%20believed%20Odysseus's,to%20be%20executed%20for%20treason.&text=When%20Achilles%20learned%20that%20Palamedes,of%20treason%2C%20he%20grieved%20deeply.

It intrigued me to re-look at the war. Was it Helen the cause or the catalyst? And why did the others were involved? 

How were men and women expected to behave back in ancient Greece? Homer's epic poem The Iliad, which showcases the last years of the Trojan War, sheds light on gender roles in this society. Through the conflicts between men and the tales supporting female characters, we catch a glimpse of the roles men and women were expected to fill, also known simply as gender roles. In The Iliad, men are depicted as in charge and higher up on the social ladder than women. Women are viewed as either objects or as manipulative creatures set on ruining a man's purpose.

https://study.com/academy/lesson/gender-roles-in-the-iliad.html

A keyword appeared to me. 

Emancipation; transitive verbto free from restraint, control, or the power of another 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/emancipate#:~:text=transitive%20verb,as%20traditional%20mores%20or%20beliefs)

I added them into my tale and then the hardest part came up 

Where can I place the tale?

I did the best I could with mine. The hardest part of the tale was the ending. I needed an ending to settle the above passages listed here. I am at it and while I am penning the last lines, I am posting the tale here now. It stands at 71K words.  

Please enjoy it as I enjoyed penning it. And there is a sequel with my own doing.



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...