Thursday, October 1, 2020

Arthur II Chapter 28

 

28.

Hengist is sulked by the tree trunk on the loss of the battle at the Caledonian Forest. He had lost the few battles that he feared his reputation was tarnished. His once proud army of a hundred was then reduced to a quarter the strength with Horsa’s survivor of about the same.

“Hengist Alger, you need to explain the battle to us.” Hengist looked up and saw the gathering of the chiefs that he was given leadership. They have lost almost all their men placed under his command.

“I have no answer for you. The Romans have proven to be a formidable foe.” It was then, Hengist’s men had brought forth the Pict druid that had assisted in the battle. He was under the influence of Horsa.

“My Lord, the druid you asked for.” Hengist looked at the Pict druid. He was an elderly figure with the loincloth and the shawl over the shoulder. His body was tattooed with the mud-caked drawings of intricate designs that resembled uncanny creatures of the forest.

“Who are you?” Hengist asked.

“I am XKult of the Eastern Hills tribes. I am a…”

“Were you not the one that called on the demons that plagued the Romans?”

“Lord Horsa had requested my guidance and spell. I had it worked but the other druid was more powerful.” The Pict druid replied. “I will call for my …”

“There will be none to assist you. Hengist cut in. He motioned the two warriors standing next to the druid. “Kill him.”

Both warriors had their swords drawn then thrust the blades into the druid’ body from the side. The druid shrieked in pain but he stood there glaring at Hengist.

“You will die, druid. That I will fulfill today to appease my brother.” Hengist drew his sword and removed the druid’s head. His killing of the druid was seen by the other Chiefs.

“It’s a mistake to kill the druid. The Picts will know and they will see to your head then.” One of the Chiefs told Hengist. “We will have no part in this war with you.”

“Leave me now and you will regret it for a long time,” Hengist warned the Chiefs. “I once mentioned that I held an army of five hundred. It was not with your strength that I mentioned. I have my own up here in the North. They are in the old castle at Gurnion.”

“Gurnion Castle is …”

“The stronghold of my ally, Garth of Gurnion. He pledged his army to me. He held two hundred there, and I will get them to rout the Romans. They have suffered losses in this battle. I will lure them there, and it will decide the war.” Hengist looked to the Chiefs. “Be with me or regret when I raid our Great Hall.”

It was also then in the newly constructed Grand Hall in the villa of Auric Augustus, the master of the family met the prized guest of his.

“It’s an honor to meet you, Sir Knight.” Auric Augustus looked to the armored warrior in the metal suit and the broadsword in the scabbard at the waist. The knight was also named the Green Knight for his crest was that of the great Douglas Fir with the double sword on its trunk.

“The name is Sir Bernlak of Haus. I reside in the west of your villa.” The knight stood there with the rounded bucket headcover with the narrow slit for the eyes and the nose. “I am not your guest but to cautioned you that I hold my boundary well. I will not tolerate any incursion on it.”

“Haus? Is that not Gaullist?” Auric asked.

“I am not your friend or guest. What I have to say is over.” Sir Bernlak turned to leave and it was then he saw Elaine who had rushed to meet the mystical knight.

“Good day, Fraulein.” The Green knight bowed before the young lady. “I am leaving now.”

With that, the Green Knight took leave of the Great Hall. Elaine approached her father and asked about the identity of the armored figure.

“He is Sir Bernlak of Haus and also known as the Green Knight. His reputations precede his name here. He is a recluse and lived to the west of us. He came to … to visit us.”

“Truly, a knight. I have not seen one before.” Elaine looked to the doorway. “Father, I must go now. Gawain awaits me at the field.”

“Gawain? Elaine, I thought you were fine with …”

“Gawain and I are friends. So is Gaheris. I have not made my choice as yet.” Elaine took leave then of her father. Auric stood there pondering on his daughter. She was old enough to be married two years ago before they left Rome but with the travel and the new land, he had not found her many suitors. He knew she was with Gawain on the journey there but found her preferences were wide. She was her mother’s daughter inside. Auric met Alicia then, the daughter of the local Lord in Hispania during his business trade with his father then. Their courtship was brief and then they wedded. He found Alicia a wonderful lady but she held an affinity for fame. She desired more than a life as the mistress of Augustus. Auric was never much at home and it was unfortunate that she died giving birth to Elaine. Auric raised Elaine with the care of nannies but he did spend time with her. He decided to bring her out of Rome to widen her horizons. He felt he had done it but he feared her horizon may not be his desired one.

“Gawain, I do wonder if you ever liked me.” Elaine sat up on the grass with the trees providing shade from the sun. She was with Gawain the youngest of the brothers. Ever since she had him rescued her from the assailants, she had ignored the other brother to be with him.

“I do, Lady Elaine.” Gawain was staring at the field. He was in doubt about his emotions then. He knew that Gaheris liked Elaine and having courted her from their journey across Britannica. He was called on by the lady several times the last season before he agreed to meet her. He had found her to be interesting and decided to speak to his brother.

“You can have her for all I cared.” Gaheris snapped at Gawain. “I have moved on. I have to tend to the horses now.”

Those were the words that prompted Gawain to meet Elaine. He liked her but he found his real desire was not there. He has him in other figures.

“Do you not find me pretty, Gawain?” Gawain turned to look at the lady. She had untied her bodice to expose her bosom. It was a lovely sight for the young Gawain but he looked away.

“Cover yourself, my lady. It’s un-lady to….”

“Gawain Martius, I …” Elaine pulled her bodice over her bosom and got up. She then tied the laces up and stormed off on her horseback to the villa. Gawain did not attempt to pursue her and he took off to the nearby settlement. With Anglo Saxon held back to the North, more settlements were set up after the wall. Even the untended lands were up for grabs by the Lords and families with the peasants to plow the ground. Gawain rode to the settlement tavern and went in.

“Gaheris, what a sight to see you here?” Gawain took the seat at the table with his brother. He saw the goblet of mead was half-filled and signaled the owner to top it up.

“I desire no company, my little brother. Pair up with your lonely fawn in the field.” Gaheris in his drunken stupor muttered to the brother.

“The fawn you referred to is back at her father’s side. I only did when you said I could.” Gawain laughed. “I am ever the playful one.”

“Be away, you ….” Gaheris was interrupted in his drunken words. He was hauled up by the left arm and pushed to the doorway. “Who dares?”

“It’s I your Decurion.” Percival grabbed the Equities rider by the arm and then shoved him into the mud trodden path. “I won’t report you to your brother today but I won’t tolerate this from my Equities.”

“Pick up your brother and get him cleaned. We ride by tomorrow to battle. The call to reinforce the legionnaires had come.”

Lamorak was enraged that the more legionnaires were called to reinforce the Prime Pilus in his campaign against the Anglo Saxon. He was with one century of legionnaires at the wall with about fifty Auxiliaries and twenty riders. The Prime had taken that equal numbers with the two hundred Sarmatians to the campaign. He had reports that the army under the Prime Pilus was halved.

“He held the local warriors with the Ghost leading them.” Lamorak looked to Percival who had returned for the reinforcements.

“The local warriors fought well but their strength had dwindled too.”

“Who will man the wall here then?” Lamorak lamented on his reduced legionnaires.

“Rest assured. The Prime is ahead of you there. He has the Legatus to send more men to us. I was advised that another eighty legionnaires marched to join him, with another hundred Auxiliaries. I am also given another twenty-four riders.”

“Where did the Legatus get those men?”

“From the reserves and recruits,” Percival replied.

“Do they know they marched to their doom?” Lamorak questioned back.

“They all know it when they joined the Legion. It’s a question of whether they can make it before or after they get their papers.” Percival replied.

 

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...