Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Arthur II Book II Chapter 3

 

3.

 

Artorius and his army soon reached the Gurnion Castle and they took camp outside there at that early dawn. It was a long march through the night but it was worth the effort. He had feared the delay may rally more warriors to the aid of Gurnion. He was told that Gurnion was not only a castle but a symbol to the people there.

“Tell me, Belvedere. Who is Garth of Gurnion?”

“I know not much but among the Auxiliaries is some Welsh. They told me that he is the descendant of the land, and had fought the Romans and Picts on the land.”

“Yet he allied with the Anglo Saxons?” Artorius raised the collaboration that he heard of Garth and Hengist.

“An understanding was more to it. They have a mutual respect that one less enemy was better than three at the same time. Garth may listen to my calling.” Belvedere explained. “There may not be bloodshed today. We may ‘cwtch’ (Welsh word for hugging) by the end of the day, and call for ‘iechyd da’ (Welsh for a drinking toast).”

Artorius could agree to that.

“I will negotiate peace with him then.” Artorius looked to the castle. It was not impregnable with its walls looking weak and the main gate was not well reinforced. He decided that he will ride ahead at the next dawn. It was a wait strategy to let Garth see his army.

Back at the wall, Lamorak remained glum at the end of another day at the wall. He had played custodian to the First Cohort there with no signs of the Prime returning to command the legionnaires. The last reinforcements had marched on towards North leaving with half the First Cohort strength.

“Optio, you have a guest. It’s the Centurion Marius Giles from the Ninth Cohort.” The aide to the Optio reported in. The Centurion walked in past the Legionnaire and greeted the Optio.

“Greetings, Optio Lamorak. We were asked to march here on the order of the Legatus.” Centurion Marius stepped in. “It beats taking the roles of the Vitales to patrol the villages.”

“How did you fare, Marius?” Lamorak was glad to see the other.

“Lots of meads and meat,” Marius replied. “Your new order is to march to join the Prime at the North. His feats of victory had reached the Senate and they are impressed.”

“Indeed, they should be,” Lamorak replied. “I will march the men out tomorrow at dawn. It will be the balance of the First Cohort strength at eighty legionnaires and the twenty riders.

“And I will take over here. Do tell me whom I shall look the other eye, and whom I shall whip to the bones?” Marius was a stern disciplinarian and feared by the others.

“None …... or maybe some.” Lamorak offered the other a seat in his tent.

“You hold a camp and yet you sit in a tent?” Marius looked to the tent that was their roof on the march.

“I am used to it. I have been under it for many nights. Now let me tell you of the Lords here.” Lamorak voiced out. “They are like the ….”

“Members of the Senate? I know that a long time ago but give me some names.”

“Lord Pendragon, once he was with the Lord named Gorlois but they fought a war and he killed the other. He was banished and had returned to reclaim his land. He was doing fine but of late, I heard his old enemies have also returned to lay claims. There may be conflicts but not wars. It may be more of murders among them.”

“I heard of Lord Pendragon but what of the one named the Ghost?”

“The Ghost is with Prime. They allied but I do not trust the Ghost.” Lamorak replied. “He is…. The Ghost and with that, he is not trustworthy.”

“The Roman families?”

“Those kept to their lands and have posed no trouble as yet.” Lamorak smiled. “They do have daughters.”

“Not me. I am a sworn celibate for once I complete y services, I will return to Rome to join the monks.” Marius laughed. “I am to appease my sins here.”

Marius motioned to his heart with his right hand.

“I am leaving you a hundred Auxiliaries. I was told that the Anglo Saxons are from being defeated.” Marius told the other. “March in the safety of the numbers and battle well.”

“I will let the others know of the orders.” Lamorak voiced out. “For tonight, we shall rejoice with a feast.”

The news of the march soon reached the ears of Elaine who was roused from her sleep by the call of her servant. She was awakened from her sleep then. She was told that it was Gaheris who sought her.

“What ails you to call upon me at this late night?” Elaine had appeared with the riding cloak over her nightdress. She rode out to the nearby pond and saw Gaheris there.

“Has something happened to Gawain?” Elaine blurted out.

“Gawain? It’s me who sought you here. It’s me, Gaheris.” The Equities rider reached for the lady. “What had happened to us? For many moons, you have ignored me and rode with my brother here.”

“I …. I found solace with your brother, Gaheris. I am …” Elaine stumbled with her words.

“Gawain, and yet he is a …boy.” Gaheris snapped at the lady. “I used to teach him how to ride, to fight, and even to ...”

“Gawain is a friend like you and yes, I liked him more,” Elaine replied. “Now, leave me be. I am going back.”

“Leaving you, we will. We marched tomorrow at dawn.” Gaheris told her. “We marched to join the battle at the North.”

“No!” Elaine gasped in horror. She had known that the legionnaires were there to defend and fight battles but never had she expected with the peace that was thriving there. Gaheris reached out for her and she stepped into his arms.

“Must you go? Must …”

“Yes, Elaine. Gawain and I are to march tomorrow. I don’t when and ….” Gaheris paused in his words. “If …”

“Hold me. You will return as will Gawain.” Elaine replied to Gaheris’ words. Gaheris pushed them apart and then held Elaine’s face towards his. He leaned to kiss her and she did to him. His arms reached to hold her closer and their lips touched. His right hand slipped to the front and between the cloak. He clasped his hand over her bosom and felt its softness.

“No! Elaine pushed him off. “I am …. Nor are you …”

“Elaine, I …”

“Enough, Gaheris. I need to …. time.” With that, Elaine ran to her horse and then rode off. She left Gaheris standing there like a fool. Not too far from the pond, Lord Amish led the group of Lords and Masters of the lands in a meeting at the old ruins of what was once a church. The only remaining of it was the walls without the roof, and the once humble furnished with benches and the altar was then only overgrowths.

“Lords and Masters, I bid you hear me first. Lord Pendragon is back in strength. He was guarded by a hundred warriors with a group of mercenaries.” Lord Amish spoke. He had brought three of the Elders with him. “His aides, Lord Ban and Bors held some men but we are far too few.”

“Lweis, Aeron, and Amlodd have brought their men here.”  Lord Amish introduced the three others. He had known them before when they all served with Lord Gorlois.

“I have twenty with me and another fifty will come on my call.” Lweis was an elderly aide then of Lord Gorlois. Despite his age, he held a slim frame in the tunic and leggings with the belt at the waist holding his broadsword.

“Both of us hold another fifty and we can recruit more.” Master Aeron spoke of his strength with Amlodd. “We can take on the errant Lord.”

“And we will not and not by force. He is connected with the Romans. They will fight for him.” Lord Amish advised the others. “I have a plan to use a more subtle approach.”

“I offered you the Black Knight services.” Lord Amish made the introduction.

“The fiend…” Lweis blurted out and then he saw the knight stepped from the shadows.

“Master Lweis, I can see you still held the grudge that I killed your son.” The Black Knight in black armor approached the group. He was covered in the iron mail and even his legging was covered with the metal greaves. His headcover was an iron piece on his head and the face mask that gave him the fierce dark expression. Hence he established his reputation as the Black Knight.

“Our battle will resume once I had gotten rid of Lord Pendragon.” The Black Knight looked at Lord Amish. “Did you tell them my fees?”

“Not just yet. We need to hear your plan.” Lord Amish looked at the Black Knight.

“There is no plan. The Lord will die when I see him.” The Black Knight did not want to disclose his plans. “Pay me and all will be done.”

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...