Saturday, October 17, 2020

Arthur II Book II Chapter 4

 

4.

 

Glasco Toas cradled the older man into his arms. Marcus was hurt in the battle. His eyes were bandaged with the blood coating the rough cloth that was used. He was hurt when the sword missed his head but cut on the right eye towards the forehead. It blinded him but young Glasco next to him took down the other with the pilum stuck into the chest. Marcus fell onto his knees screaming of pain while his right arm lashed out with the gladius.

“Hold on, Marcus. It’s me, Glasco.” The younger legionnaire had grabbed the other from the rear. “I will take you to the rear.”

“Let me go! I want to kill the bastards.” Marcus struggled in the arms. “I want …”

“Let it go. I will take you to safety.” Young Glasco pulled the Legionnaire to the rear. They passed the others still surging forward to battle the barbarians. It was a hard battle but they are winning then. Young Glasco managed to find a spot at the rear where he had Marcus leaned on the tree. The younger legionnaire then attended to the wound. He dabbed water over the wound before he removed the focale; the scarf on Marcus’ neck. The focale was worn by the Legionnaires to protect their neck flesh from being hurt by the armored chest wear.

“That will hold you bleeding,” Young Glasco told Marcus.

“Tell me what did happen here.” Marcus had leaned back on the tree. “We were in a truce.”

It was a truce then between the Prime and Garth of Gurnion. They met outside the castle gates with the flag of truce. It was the first time both of them met. Garth was with his aide while Artorius walked alone.

“I am Prime Pilus Artorius of…” The Roman was interrupted by the appearance of Hengist who joined them.

“Why is he here?” Artorius asked. “Does…”

“He is my …. Aide. I am Garth of Gurnion. Did you come to offer me your surrender? I …”

“The Legion never surrendered. We will battle to the last man if need be. I am here….”

“We are not keen on your terms, Roman.” It was Hengist who snapped out. “Today, we will defeat all of you.”

“Silence, Hengist Alger. I am still the Lord here.” Garth cut in. He then looked at Artorius. “Do state your terms.”

“I offered you peace. You are not Anglo Saxon. You are a part of Wales. I have no battle with the Welsh. I have Welsh in my men. They are not Romans but they serve as our ally.”

It was then Artorius placed forth the shield.

“Your people emblem on the scuid.” Artorius used the Welsh term for the shield.

“He took it off a dead Welsh Lord. He is your enemy.” Hengist snapped in with the accusation.

“I did not. It was given to me by a friend. A Welsh.” It was then another figure joined in.

Cyfarchiad diwrnod da.” Belvedere greeted to Garth in the local greeting. “I ride with the Romans to stop the barbarians.”

“You are Welsh, and yet ...” Garth displayed his annoyance. “We will speak in our tongue.”

“Truly, I am Welsh,” Belvedere replied in Welsh. “My family was taken by the Ango Saxons, and I sold as a slave to the Vikings and then to the Normandians. I have left my land for a long time. Today I am back to win it back.”

“Against your own? You are a ‘gwarth’ to us.” Garth cursed at Belvedere.

“Is that not the term for someone who works with the Anglo Saxons?” Belvedere retorted back.

“I am protecting the people here. I am their leader. I am with the Anglo Saxons to avoid the bloodshed.” Garth replied. “The Romans are invaders too.”

“Hear no more, Garth. We will defend the castle.” Hengist understood the words spoken. He pulled at Garth.

“Look to the South. Did the Romans sack the cities? Did they not help in the land? I plea with you, Garth. We need not do the battle. We did not come to battle. We are here to repel the Anglo-Saxons.”

“Aye....” There was hesitation in the voice of Garth and Belvedere continued.

“You have seen the might of the Romans. Ask your friend, how many battles has he lost to the Romans this few seasons? Let him speak.” Belvedere glared at Hengist.

“Let us go,” Hengist whispered to the ears of Garth but the other was not moving.

“We will talk but not now. Let me talk to others.” Garth replied. The talk was off then but Prime felt that he may not have to battle that day. It was not the same in the hall inside the castle.

“You are a fool, Garth if you are to accept the words of that lowling for a Welsh man.” Hengist snapped at the Welsh leader. “You can’t...”

“He is my people. And like him, I was a lowling. I was no Lord or rich land master.” Garth looked at Hengist. They were with an assembled group of five Gareths men, the two Lords which had arrived with Hengist and five other guards.

“For the sake of the …,” Garth was interrupted by Hengist who approached the other.

“Declare and … die.” Hengist plunged the dagger into Garth’s chest. He twisted the dagger and then plunged it in deeper. He pulled the dagger out and then turned to look at the others.

“Welsh or Anglo Saxons? Or Picts? I know some of those bastards out there are Picts. They disguised to stay in the group. They are like us, to gain on the pillage.” Hengist looked to the group. “I knew Garth before he appeared at Gurnion. He was lowly pillage and thief like many of us. We won’t last under Roman's rule. We have to win to have our land.”

“I hear you, Hengist but what about them outside. We cannot walk out there and say Garth died by our hand.” It was one of Garth’s aides who were outside with him. Hengist turned to the dead man and then removed the broadsword at the side. He held it in both his hands.

“Garth’s sword is known to them all. Am I, not right?” Hengist approached the men that were allied to Garth. “He once told me that he will kill the one who will try to kill him.”

“There…’ Hengist plunged the sword into the one who spoke just now “I showed you the man who killed Garth with the dagger and Garth killed him too.”

Hengist left the sword inside the dead warrior and ran to the doorway. He pulled it open and declared the death of Garth.

“Garth is killed by his men.” Not one of the gathered there was to dispute it. “He sides with the Roman.”

The battle soon has begun with the castle gate closed and the defenders rained arrows on the Romans.

“Raise shields and formed lines.” The Prime called out. He was surprised at the turn of event and confronted Belvedere.

“You told me he will listen.”

“I did but I was wrong,” Belvedere replied. Artorius was furious for he had not prepared his men then. He lost ten legionnaires to the initial attack. He counted another ten among the Auxiliaries.

“Retreat!” The Prime called out. The men pulled their wounded and retreated. It was then the castle defenders stormed out. There were about two hundred of them with their battle cries. It was a deciding moment then.

“Ride, Llamrei. We will buy the legionnaire’s time.” Artorius pulled out his gladius and held the shield given to him by Belvedere. He rode towards the barbarians and was seen by the Decurion.

“To me, Equities! We fight now.” The leader of the Equities rode with his forty riders to back the Prime. The later galloped ahead into the charging barbarians. He swung his gladius with the fervor of a warrior on his mount. The horse lived to its name, with its huge frame and kicking hoofs to attack at the barbarians. Artorius rode among the barbarians with the gladius slashing while blood coated his armor. He was cut but none was fatal or felt by him then with his intent to break the barbarians who did not live to their words.

It may be his understanding of it. He had fought for so many seasons and his body then aching for a rest.

“We are with you, Prime.” The Decurion rode up to the Prime with his riders. He lost five of his riders to the battle then.

“Kill the bastards!” Artorius was enraged then. He rode on ahead to the flank of the charge and then turned to attack the barbarians. The Equities were all fighting their own battles then.

Artorius was all covered in blood then and even the shield held by him raised high on his left arm was covered then in blood. He dismounted and fought on foot.

“Fight me, you bastards!” Artorius deflected the barbarian’s sword and plunged his gladius into the other’s ribs. He pulled the gladius out and slashed at the next who was armed with the mallet.

“Arghhh!” The mallet had struck at Artorius’ left thigh and caused him to stagger. He retreated and saw his foes were many. He was hurt in many places on his body and the gladius felt heavy in his right hand.

“Fight me!” Artorius roared but he saw the barbarians then retreated to the castle. He saw his legionnaires with the Auxiliaries were in the battle. They had formed lines and were forcibly attacking the barbarians.

“Let me help you, Prime.” It was Aubin.

“No, we will march into the castle now. I will have Hengist’s head before we stop.” Artorius leaned on the Sarmatians before they rushed into the castle.

It was then young Glasco had related to the unseeing Marcus.

“We are in the castle now.”

“Then why are you here, Glasco? Should you not be fighting alongside with them?” Marcus asked. Glasco handed over a flask of water to the older legionnaire.

“I am here to aid you. I have to save you. You are to ….  Meet my mother.” Glasco told the other.

“Tell me … of your mother.” Marcus voiced out. “I may be able to see her…... soon.”

It was then Glasco was hailed by the wounded legionnaires.

“Hey, you are to be in front there. You are not wounded.” Glasco heard the call.  He stood up and left to join the others.

“Hey, Glasco. Where are you?” Marcus called out.


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...