Monday, August 10, 2020

Arthur II Chapter 17

 

17.

Lord Pendragon stood on the castle ground watching his new warriors trained in their morning session. Lord Bors had killed the mercenary the next day in the challenge. He had also taken another life before he could convince others to re-join the castle. Lord Pendragon laughed at their death and now the surviving twenty-three warriors have trained as his own. He felt himself in the foul mood and then approached the training ground. He picked up the training sword; made of wood and weighed with metal pieces on the hilt to mimic the real sword in weight. He looked to the four warriors of his calling. They are battle-trained with the numerous scars seen on their body.

Lord Pendragon without any warning calls, stormed at the group of warriors with the wooden sword swinging. The other four warriors with their instinct horned in battles reacted to the Lord’s attack with deflection then retreated. There was some apprehension about the group but soon they were charging at the Lord with their wooden sword. The slashing and cuts were intense with no quarters shown but the Lord Pendragon with his years of fighting held his own against the four. He was hit several times and reciprocated with his own towards the others. The bout of the fight soon came to an end when the Lord himself surrendered.

“I treasured such days but my body aches from places I knew never of.” Lord Pendragon dropped the wooden sword then having shown signs of breaks on the edges. He stepped towards the water bucket and reached for the wooden cup to quench his thirst. “It’s not wine but on the battlefield, the water is the wine.”

“I need a warrior to do a task. Who volunteers for it?” Lord Pendragon called out.

“How may I be of service to you, my Lord?” Lord Pendragon heard the offer and turned to look at the warrior who spoke. He recognized the warrior as one of the mercenaries who had traveled with him. He was the few who had pledged to serve the Lord.

“Can you fight?”

“Yes, my Lord. Prove it to me. I will select an opponent for you. Fight with fists.” Lord Pendragon called forth a huge mercenary.

“Fight him. If you win, I will give you additional coins.’ Lord Pendragon told the mercenary.

“If I lose ….” The mercenary asked in a mock manner.

“Well then, I will have your head removed.” Lord Pendragon replied. The fistfight was on and both men clashed in the yard. The one that offered his service was smaller in the frame but he was agile. He kept out of the other’s reaches and only jabs at the huge mercenary.

“Stay still, you imp!” The huge mercenary called out. It was then the other lashed out with the right leg on the huge mercenary’s left knee. It sent the mercenary to his knees and the other followed through with a right kick in the neck. The mercenary fell backward and the other followed on with a double kick onto the exposed chest. The mercenary went down in pain and it was then the fight was called off.

“Your name, victor.”

“Julian Grain, my Lord.”

“Julian Grain, I hid nothing from you. I need a task to be done; discreet and …”

“Say no more, my Lord. Give me the name.”

“See me in the Hall.” Lord Pendragon then proceeded back to his castle. Soon he met the young mercenary in the Hall after he had freshened up. There were his loyal guards with him; Ban and Bors.

“Auric Augustus.” Lord Pendragon told the mercenary.

“The other noble that traveled with us from the south. They are well protected by their guards. I may need more warriors.”

“Take this pouch of coins and buy yourself the other’s loyalty. No one is without a price.”

“Yes, my Lord.” It was agreed then and the task handed over. Lord Bors then turned towards his Lord.

“The mercenary is too callous in his words. I do not trust him.”

“I concurred with you. Have your spies on him. If he steps out of line, kill him. Or anyone near him.”

“It shall be done soon.” Lord Bors then took leave of the castle. Lord Pendragon then looked to his other aide.

“Lord Ban, check for me on the lady who arrived with Lady Igraine. I need to know her name.” With that, Lord Ban left to do his works. It was then Lord Pendragon called for his maid.

“Where is Julia? I have not seen her this morning?” None of the staff could tell him. He was furious and left to sought Lady Igraine who he is trying to woo back into his life. He was concerned for her as she harbors vengeance on the Augustus family. He had asked for the assassination to settle the vengeance without his lady invoking the dark arts which she was familiar with.

“I need to find the druid.” Lord Pendragon muttered to himself and changed his mind to look for Lady Igraine. He then set off on the new trail.

Just across the land at the half-completed castle of Master Meleagant, Belvedere was in search of his master to deliver some news. He searched the half-completed castle and the surrounding grounds. It was by chance he met the household servant.

“Have you seen our Master Meleagant?” Belvedere looked to the elderly lady who was the washing lady.

“Yea, he went to the valley there by the wall.” Belvedere rushed over on his legs towards the area indicated where the stream flowed. He climbed the low hill and then trailed the stream in the valley. He was to reach the cluster of trees when he heard voices. He stopped to listen before he peeped at the trees.

“Auric, I am tired of the wait.” The voice was that of a lady. Belvedere moved silently towards the trees taking his steps carefully. He stopped by the tree trunk and then looked past it. He saw a lady standing there telling Master Augustus of her plight.

“She is getting ever un-bearing of late.” The lady told the other. “I will …I must be cleared of her.”

“Adele, you will be soon. That is my promise to you but we have to bide our time.” Auric gave his assurance. “I am working on it. She is aged.”

“Do you know that Igraine is back there?” Julia asked. “She is back with her lover.”

“I know she was in the camp but I did not know that Pendragon had taken her back. I thought he was still away when I arrived here. When was she seen with him?”

“A fortnight ago and now resides in his castle. She must be punished for her role in Gorlois' death.” Julia remarked back. “You must alert the others. Utter Pendragon day’ is over.”

“I am meeting them soon.  Lord Amish needs the opportunity to call for a meet.” Master Meleagant assured the lady once more. “Julia, please refrain from doing something silly. I will have King Gorlois name resurrected. And then you can have peace on your cousin’s death.”

 “What of my peace with you? Are we condemned to be individuals with no real companionship?” Julia looked at Master Meleagant.

“We will bide our time. And when it’s all done, we shall be united.” Master Meleagant replied. “Now go in peace. Go back to the castle and serve her.”

Belvedere watched the couple left the place before he took to his departure. He turned and saw the mercenary standing there. He recognized the figure was from the Auxiliaries.

“I believed you are intruding, mercenary?” The Auxiliary told him. “I don’t like that. And would my master?”

“Master Augustus is also my master. I have come to protect him.” Belvedere replied. “Who are you? I have seen you with the Auxiliaries.”

“I am Chief Asterix. I am of the Auxiliaries and alike to them, I also worked for Master Meleagant. You were assigned to the Young Meleagant. And you are derelict of your task to be here.”

Belvedere was surprised that the Lord has entrusted his safety to another without letting him know. Belvederes have worked his way to hold the trust of the Lord but he was wrong. It seems that the benefactor of his works was not to be trusted. He told the Auxiliaries that he was to leave but was stopped.

“I have not permitted you. And more to that my master does not condone others to know of his …” Chief Asterix struggled to find the word and then decided to place the action on his next move. He moved to draw his sword but Belvedere had anticipated the move. He stepped up and held his right hand on the other’s sword hilt.

“We are on the same side. We don’t need to fight.” Belvedere tried to reason with the order. “Your master is also mine.”

“I … will not share my place with you.” The Auxiliary challenged back. “I will have you removed.”

Belvedere moved ahead of the other. He pulled the sword by the hilt of the other’s sword and swung the sword pressing into the other’s chest. The blade of the sword slashed into the flesh there at the chest and into the left shoulder. The other screamed and retreated backward but Belvedere kicked with his left leg before he charged into the Auxiliary. They went down together and rolled on the ground. Belvedere crouched up before landing a punch on the other. He then took the dagger on the other’s waist and thrust it into the throat.

The fight was over.

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...