Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Arthur II Chapter 20

 20.

Prime Artorius looked to his Decurion and assigned a new task.

“I want you to find Lord Pendragon. He can be our ally.” Decurion Percival took Galahad and the other brothers on the task. Their ride was not far, and the silence was deafening. The ride was to take a day but Galahad’s horse took the limp and dragged the ride. The ride reached the castle but Galahad had requested a camp outside there by the trees. The camp was set up and the food served, and then the riders came in.

“Lord Pendragon, I am …” Galahad stepped up to the other. “We would have ridden in but the sun was setting.”

“It’s good to see you again, Decurion. Last we met we were fighting some barbarians in Gaul.” Lord Pendragon smiled. “Can I join you?”

The other riders were sent back while Lord Pendragon took his place at the fireplace. He looked at the three brothers whom he had not met. Their conversation sailed south and personal.

“I was with Lord Gorlois for some years. He was the one who rode the lands from the far seas to the highlands. He was there for the minor Lords and Kings. Kings there were a few but they were nothing like the real Kings. They have a small following and held on the namesake to impress the local peoples but at the mere mentions of invaders, they leave or call for Lord Gorlois.” Lord Pendragon gulped the wine served. He smacked his lips and then continued. “I was his knight. I fought where he told me to send myself.”

“You must have been seated at his table.” Gaheris displayed his naivety.

“Yes, I was. I was very close to Lord Gorlois until we went against each other….” Pendragon looked into the fire. He recalled the fire then. He had Lord Gorlois was surrounded in the battle. The older Lord had been defeated and in retreat, he returned to the camp before he was trapped.

“Lord Gorlois, you have no place to run.” Lord Gorlois heard the call and saw the other approaching him.

“Lord Pendragon, you were my friend.”

“It’s nothing personal. All I ask is that you lose the sword.” Lord Pendragon stepped up to the Lord. “I…”

“Lose the sword? I have lost my battle to you. You not only won his battle but also my love. You took my love for yours. She need not tell me but I have loyal servants.”

“How? Since it’s in the open now. Yes, I loved Lady Igraine.” Lord Pendragon admitted it. “You are in my way.”

Lord Pendragon held up his sword. He approached the other Lord and then swung the sword. Lord Gorlois blocked the swing and then went into the attack. Lord Pendragon stepped back and then readied his next move. Lord Gorlois rushed in with anger in his eyes and misjudged his steps. He stumbled and Pendragon thrust the sword into the other.

It was the end of one’s life and the new start to another.

“Can we have another drink?” Pendragon turned the goblet he held. “I prefer to be drunk before I am to engage the Anglo Saxons.”

“The Prime has told …” Galahad was cut off.

“The druid told me that I am to work with you.” Pendragon smiled. “Ironic for us to meet when most times I was supposed to be fighting you.”

“You fought with us at Gaul.” Gaheris was always the naïve one. “You were with the Decurion.”

“I did when I was the mercenary. I was one to earn the coins and gold. I got it and came back to my land. This is my land. I will protect it from the invaders.” Lord Pendragon smiled. He then raised his goblet. “Can I have my wine?”

“Sure.” Gaheris did the honor. “How do you fare now? Are you …?”

“With those invaders? I was not there. I heard they called for a meet. The Ghost was there. So was the druid.” Lord Pendragon took a long gulp of his drink. “I owe the druid a personal favor.”

“Tell me of your…” Galahad directed the subject.

“They are invaders to my land. I cannot be working with them. Unlike the Legion…. I heard of the order to withdrawn. You are leaving for Gaul. Emperor’s order.” Lord Pendragon continued. “Better to associate with the one leaving than the one staying in my land.”

“So, you decide to join us?” Gaheris' timing was at times bad.

“No, I have not …decided. I may if I hear from your Prime again. Till then, I am enjoying your wine.”

Galahad looked hard at the man named Lord Pendragon. He reached into the sack he has brought with him. He drew out the scroll and passed it to the Lord.

“I can see the Prime is a man of his words.” Lord Pendragon read the scroll which showed him the lands under his name. “He is giving me back what mine was before. I liked that.”

“I will accept that.” Lord Pendragon looked at Galahad. “Tell me how can I help?”

“A help which you may want to discuss with me.” The voice came from the left of the Lord. He turned to look and saw it was an unexpected figure.

“Ghost or is it Lawnslot. When did you join the Legion? I thought you were at the meeting with the others.”

Lawnslot approached his campfire with his lips dry. He had not taken the drinks offered there at the meeting with the others on their alliance with the invaders. He was angry that they did not consult him on the matter. He was after all their warrior to protect them all. He was undefeated in his fights; not for a long time.

His only defeat was to the Black Knight, an unknown then who rode into the land. He had defeated several knights before he met Lawnslot then a younger knight. It was Lawnslot who hunted the knight.

“Black Knight.” Lawnslot looked at the other. The knight lived his image; his suit was dark in the shade, and so was his mount with his armor. His spear and sword were dark like his suit.

“I do not fight …. errant warriors. I only fight the best. Do…”

“My name is Lawnslot of Normandy. Fight me like the knight you claimed to be. I will not be dismissed.” Lawnslot then in his best mail suit and held his sword then; a gift he bought for himself. He rode his mount towards the knight with his sword drawn. He swung the sword and was blocked by the other with the shield while the knight rode away. The knight had not drawn his sword and swung the mount around to face Lawnslot. The later charged once more and attacked with the sword but each time those slashes were deflected. Finally, the Black Knight used his shield to hit Lawnslot on the left shoulder and toppling him from the mount. Lawnslot sat upon the ground and saw the Black Knight standing before him with the sword.

“Warrior, you are not yet a knight. You need to learn more to fight me.” Lawnslot heard the Black Knight. The later then mount the dark horse and rode off. Lawnslot pulled off his arm greaves and tossed it. He was disgusted with his loss. He stood up and spat the after taste before he started walking.

It was the same then when Lawnslot did not agree with what was discussed at the meeting, He wanted to leave the meeting. Lawnslot spat out the after taste in the mouth. That was his bad habit when he loses. Or disgusted.

“We are done then.” Lord Pendragon muttered back. “Well, I am off now.”

The group watched Lord Pendragon rode off, and then Gaheris saw Lawnslot still there.

“Are you…” Gaheris was cautious at times.

“I invited him. Please sit down, Sir.” Decurion Percival had invited Lawnslot. “We have not met but we have a lot to talk about.”

“It’s unlikely that we can … be allies.” Lawnslot replied. “It was Merlin who told me to see you. I don’t know why you and not….”

“Your druid was with Prime. We spoke to him.” Galahad told Lawnslot. “The druid wants us to work with you. The Prime send me to see Lord Pendragon too. And delayed my trip so I can meet you. But the Lord presented himself here.”

“And I stumbled along? It’s a coincidence. I saw you talking to him. I had to know. Are we all able to be allies?” Lawnslot smiled. “The druid told me that the land needed a real King. One that he called King Arthur, and there is no Arthur that I knew. I do know of one though but he is five years in age and he does not want to be King yet. Now before I choose to leave, tell me what do your Prime want.”

“It’s simple, Sir…” Percival tried to explain and was cut off.

“Lawnslot please.” Lawnslot cut in. “I hold no ranks and titles.”

“Lawnslot it’s. Mine is Percival and he is Galahad with his brothers, Gaheris and Gawain.” Percival did the brief introduction and then moved on. “We cannot fight the invaders alone and more so if your clans join in. We are told that more will come after the Anglo Saxon.”

“And the Legion is pulling out.” Galahad did not hesitate in his reply.

“So, I heard. Then why are we talking then? You may leave and we will fight off the invaders.” Lawnslot smiled before he turned to leave.

“Prime Pilus Artorius is not leaving. Not us which is the First Cohort. We are to hold the wall.” Galahad replied. “We are the flank here. And we intend to work with the local peoples. We don’t need to fight among ourselves.”

“What was Lord Pendragon's role?” Lawnslot asked.

“He …did not tell me. I was to bring him a gift from Prime. If he joined …...” Percival repeated his words. “If he joined, we will offer him his Lordship on the ground he occupied. With our support, he will be stronger.”

“What about me? Do I get my land too? And I will be called Lord Lawnslot? I would like that but I am not a Lord. I am a warrior. I will be fine as one.” Lawnslot hit back. “I think I will walk away.”

“Lawnslot…” Galahad raised his voice but the other was leaving. Lawnslot then stopped when he saw the druid standing there.

“Druid, you are …”

“The land needs you. The people of the land need you. So does the Prime. He is the one I saw as Arthur but he can’t be King without his knights. He needs a table full of them. You are one of them and an important one.” Merlin voiced out. “Do it for the people.”

“I can’t do it alone. I am ….”

“Get the others. They are not allied yet to the Anglo Saxons. Alliance can be shifted if we are seen stronger. And more to that, they are many more outside that you can call on. The battles will be many and until all is won, they will return to invade us every year.” Merlin sounded his warning. “The moment to end is now. The wall can be our defense for now.”

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...