Thursday, July 12, 2018

Arthur II; Artorius; The Legend and Myth Chapter 23 to 25 ( End )

23.
Primus Artorius looked to his Decurio and assigned a new task.
“I want you to find Lord Pendragon. He can be our ally.” Decurio Galahad took with him his brothers; to keep them alive was his excuse. The other reason was he felt safe with the them despite their behaviour. Their ride was not far, and the silence was deafening. The ride was to take a day but Galahad dragged the ride. The ride reached the castle but Galahad had requested for a camp outside there by the trees. The camp was set up and the food served, and then the riders came in.
“Lord Pendragon, I am …” Galahad stepped up to the other. “We would had rode in but the sun was setting.”
“It’s good to see you again, Decurio. Last we met we were fighting some barbarians in Gaul.” Lord Pendragon smiled. “Can I join you?”
The other riders were sent back while Lord Pendragon took his place at the fire place. He looked at the two other brothers whom he had not met. Their conversation sailed south and personal.
“I was with Lord Gorlois for some years. He was the one who rode the lands from the far seas to the highlands. He was there for the minor Lords and Kings. Kings there were a few but they were nothing like the real Kings. They have a small following and held on the namesake to impress the locals but at the mere mentions of invaders, they leave or call for Lord Gorlois.” Lord Gorlois took the gulp of the wine. He smacked his lips and then continued on. “I was his knight. I fought where he told send me.”
“You must had been seated at his table.” Gaheris displayed his naivety.
“Yes, I was. I was very close to Lord Gorlois until we went against each other….” Pendragon looked into the fire. He recalled the fire then. He had Lord Gorlois surrounded in the battle. The other Lord had been defeated and in his retreat, he returned to the camp before he was trapped.
“Lord Gorlois, you have no place to run.” Lord Gorlois heard the call and saw the other approaching him. “Pendragon, you were my friend.”
“It’s nothing personal. All I ask is that you lose the sword.” Lord Pendragon stepped up to the Lord. “I…”
“Lose the sword? I have lost my battle to you. You not only won his battle but also my love. You took my love for yours. She need not tell me but I have loyal servants.”
“How….Since its in the open now. Yes, I loved Igraine.” Lord Pendragon admitted it. “You are in my way.”
Lord Pendragon held up his sword. He approached the other Lord and then swung the sword. Lord Gorlois blocked the swing and then went into the attack. Lord Pendragon stepped back and then readied his next move. Lord Gorlois rushed in with anger in his eyes and misjudged his steps. He stumbled and Pendragon thrust the sword into the other.
It was the end of one’s life and the new start to another.
“Can we have another drink?” Pendragon turned the goblet he held. “I prefer to drunk before I am to engage treh Anglo Saxons.”
“The Primus have told …” Galahad was cut off.
“The druid told me that I am to work with you.” Pendragon smiled. “Ironic for us to meet when most times I was supposed to be fighting you.“You fought for us at Gaul.” Gaheris was always the naïve one. “You were with Galahad.”
“I did when I was the mercenary. I was one to earn the coins and gold. I got it and came back to my land. This is my land. I will protect it from the invaders.” Pendragon smiled. He then raised his goblet. “Can I have my wine?”
“Sure.” Gaheris did the honour. “How do you fare now? Are you ..”
“With those invaders? I was not there. I heard they called for a meet. The Ghost was there. So was the druid.” Pendragon took a long gulp of his drink. “I owe the druid a personal favour.”
“Tell me of your…” Galahad directed the subject.
“They are invaders to my land. I cannot be working with them. Unlike the Legion…. I heard of the order to withdrawn. You are leaving for Gaul. Emperor’s order.” Pendragon continued. “Better to associate with the one leaving than the one staying in my land.”
“So, you decide to join us?” Gaheris timing was at times bad.
“No, I have not …decided. I may if I hear from your Primus again. Till then, I am enjoying my wine.”
Galahad looked hard at the man named Lord Pendragon. He reached into the sack he has brought with him. He drew out the scroll and passed it to the Lord.
“I can see the Primus is a man of his words.” Lord Pendragon read the scroll. “He is giving me back what was mine before. I liked that.”
“I will accept that.” Lord Pendragon looked at Galahad. “Tell me how can I help?”
“A help which you may want to discuss with me.” The voice came from the left of the Lord. He turned to look and saw it was an unexpected figure.
“Ghost or is it Lancelot. When did you join the Legion?”

24.
Lancelot approached his mount with his lips dry. He had not taken the drinks offered there at the meeting with the others on their alliance with the invaders. He was angry that they did not consult him on the matter. He was after all their warrior tom protect them all. He was undefeated in his fights; not for a long time. His only defeat was to the Black Knight, an unknown then who rode in to the land. He had defeated a number of knights before he met Lancelot then a younger knight. It was Lancelot who hunted the knight.
“Black Knight.” Lancelot looked at the other. The knight lived his image; his suit was dark in the shade, and so was his mount with his armour. His spear and sword were dark like his suit.
“I do not fight ….errant warriors. I only fight the best. Do…”
“My name is Lancelot of Wales. Fight me like the knight you claimed to be. I will not be dismissed.” Lancelot then in his best mail suit and held his sword then; a gift he bought for himself. He rode his mount towards the knight with his sword drawn. He swung the sword and was blocked by the other with the shield while the knight rode away. The knight had not drawn his sword and swung the mount around to face Lancelot. The later charged once more and attacked with the sword but each time those slashes were deflected. Finally, the Black Knight used his shield to hit Lancelot on the left shoulder and toppling him from the mount. Lancelot sat up on the ground and saw the Black Knight standing before him with the sword.
“Warrior, you are not yet a knight. You need to learn more to fight me.” Lancelot heard the Black Knight. The later then mount the dark horse and rode off. Lancelot pulled off his arm greaves and tossed it. He was disgusted with his loss. He stood up and spat the after taste before he started walking. He wanted to be out then.
“I am not with them.” Lancelot spat out the after taste in mouth. That was his bad habit when he loses. Or disgusted.
“So, you happened to be here? We are living on a small place.” Lord Pendragon muttered back. “Well, I am off now.”
The group watched Lord Pendragon rode off, and then Gaheris saw the remaining guest.
“Are you…” Gaheris cautious at times.
“I invited him. Please sit down, Sir.” Galahad invited Lancelot. “We have not met but we have a lot to talk about.”
“It’s unlikely that we can … be allies.” Lancelot replied. “It was Merlin who told me to see you. I don’t know why you and not….”
“Your druid was with the Primus. We spoke to him.” Galahad told Lancelot. “The druid wants us to work with you. The Primus send me to see Lord Pendragon too. And delayed my trip so I can meet you. But the Lord presented himself here.”
“And I stumbled along? It’s a coincidence. I saw you talking to him. I had to know. Are we all able to be allies?” Lancelot smiled. “The druid told me that the land needed a real King. One that he called King Arthur, and there are no Arthur that I knew. I do know of one though but he is five years in age and he does not want to be King yet. Now before I choose to leave, tell me what do your Primus want.”
“Its simple, Sir…” Galahad tried to explain and was cut off.
“Lancelot please.”
“Lancelot it’s. Mine is Galahad and they are my brothers, Gaheris and Gawain.” Galahad did the brief introduction and then moved on. “We cannot fight the invaders alone and more so if your clans join in. We are told that more will come after the Anglo Saxon.”
“And we are pulling out.:” Galahad hesitated in his reply.
“So, I heard. Then why are we talking then? You may leave and we will fight off the invaders.” Lancelot smiled before he turned to leave.
“Primus Artorius is not leaving. Not us the First Cohort. We are to hold the wall.” Galahad replied. “We are the flank here. And we intend to work with the locals. We don’t need to fight.”
“What was Pendragon role?” Lancelot asked.
“He …did not tell me. I was to bring him a gift from the Primus. If he joined. If he joined, we will offer him his Lordship on the ground he occupied. With our support, he will be stronger.”
“What about me? Do I get my own land too? Or I will be called Lord Lancelot? I would like that but I am not a Lord. I am a warrior. I will be fine as one.” Lancelot hit back. “I think I will walk away.”
“Lancelot…” Galahad raised his voice but the other was leaving. Lancelot then stopped when he saw the druid standing there.
“Druid, you are …”
“The land needs you. The people needs you. So does the Primus. He is the one I saw as Arthur but he can’t be King without his knights. He need a table full of them. You are one and an important one.” Merlin voiced out. “Do it for the people?”
“I can’t do it alone. I am ….”
“Get the others. They are not allied yet to the Anglo Saxons. Alliance can be shifted if we are seen stronger. And more to that, they are many more outside that you can call on. The battles will be many and until all is won, they will return to invade us every year.” Merlin sounded his warning. “The moment to end is now. The wall can be our defence for now.”

25.
Primus Artorius strung the catch on his waist belt. He felt the familiar weight on the sword. He was in his full amour with the greaves on his arms and legs. He picked up the head piece that will give him his rank before he ventured out to meet his legionnaires. He could not assemble all the legionnaires for the fight; the wall needed guarding.
“You are mad to take so few men.” Optio Lamorak pulled his rank. “I can get the other Cohorts to assist.”
“No, we cannot abandon our posts. So are the others. The wall is our defence.” Primus Artorius then looked at the his Decurio. “I will take half of your Equties. And part of the mercenaries under Belvedere. And ….”
“And them to guide me.” Primus Artorius looked at Lancelot. The later have brought in a dozen warriors. He said they will ride with him. “They are mine to lead only.”
Primus Artorius nodded. He looked beyond them and did not see the Lord Pendragon. He was grabbed by Lamorak on his left arm.
“Primus, you must listen to me.” Primus ignored the Optio. He then addressed the men following him.
“Decurio and the Equities will ride with me. Belvedere will take my flank with his dozen warriors. Ghost …..Lancelot and his men will ride parallel to me. We will recruit the extra warriors on our journey.” The Primus turned to leave but stopped when he saw the druid was standing a distance away. He approached the druid who had then stepped into the cleared area. Somehow the sentries there stepped away on their own action.
“You are either influential or a powerful druid.” Artorius looked at the druid. “I was not expecting…. Okay, I lied. I was expecting you to join us.”
“You need me to convince the others. Lancelot can do for the warriors but the Kings and Lords are mine. They will not listen to any others. Like Lord Pendragon.”
“The errant Lord that you told me to meet up with. Which I did and even send my faithful officer, Decurio Galahad.” Primus Artorius looked at the druid. “Well, he did not really meet my officer. He met the officer outside the castle.”
“Lord Pendragon cannot be seen to have liaison with the Romans. As it stands, you are still the invaders too.” Merlin reminded the Primus. “So, are the invaders.”
At that moment, Hengist was upset at the development. He had that meeting that day which was not successful by his measurement. He was doing well until the Ghost disrupted the meeting. He was getting the local Lords to side his people and then the Ghost made them have misgivings on it. He saw his brother, Horsa had ridden in to the camp. He took his brother to meet at an isolated location.
“Hengist, we are ready., As we speak, the elders are massing the clans. More are joining us for they liked the invasion. We had a bad spell; the Picts and Scots are at our borders.” Horsa was a tall figure with the bald head look covered in the fur coat and his weapon of choice was the long handle mallet with the sharp pick on the other end.
“I have more assisting us but it will take time. The elders do not want to move the clans until they are ready.” Horsa continued on but Hengist was upset.
“I cannot have anymore delays. We are not going to invade this time. We will occupy by the land.” Hengist made his stand to his brother. “I am bored with the annual trips.”
“This is new to me.” Horsa looked at his brother. “Do you not trust me?”
“I do, brother. These new plans of mine were seen by me when I met the Lords here. That was also not planned. I was here to check the enemy strengths and met the informers who told me of the Romans. Their warriors are concerned on the Roman. I took the challenge to meet them and soon we were having this huge meeting of the clans. They are so amicable to my suggestions soon after I told them the Romans are back at the wall.”
“Then we can be the wolf in the sheep flock.” Horsa smiled.
“Not entirely. I have conflicting reaction from the one they named Ghost. He walked out and there was the druid. Merlin was his name. They are against me.” Hengist told Horsa. “I had send some warriors to kill them but they escaped. I know not where of their whereabouts.”
“You returned to the clans. Spread the words and get more to join us. We will take the land for ours.” Hengist instructed Horsa. “I will do what I can to spread the concern on the Romans.”
Hengist turned from his brother to look at the camp where he had met the Lords. He liked the land there and had been involved in the raids there for over a decade. He was determined to stay on then. He will get his plan to work.
“Lord Hengist, we have located the Ghost.” Hengist turned to look at the one who addressed him. The other was dressed covered with the thick fur but he noticed the Roman Legionnaire mail suit. The other did not acquire it by steal but earned it as one of the Legionnaires. He disliked the Legionnaire but the role of the other was an essential component of ensuring success. He had handle his own traitors among his warriors and the punishment was severe; death by strangulation. Traitors worked for weight of coins in their purse. 
“Take care of it then. Your bag of coins will be sent to you later.” Hengist told the traitor. “And don’t come here or you may be killed.”
The traitor took leave of the Lord then. Lord Hengist to the land once more.
“You will be mine soon.” 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...