Wednesday, November 15, 2017

The OPERA HOUSE Chapter 11 & 12

Book of love and dedication

11.

.If there was way to quantify love it’s probably by looking at them with a microscope to see if there was any new sparks in them. Some of us believe we can count them but the one who held the microscope daily would attest they never seen it at all.

Tell that to the young lovers.

“Christine, you moved.” Raoul raised his brush from the canvas before he took a step to the side. They were at the side of the pond with his subject of painting seated on the grass by the pond. The painting was near completion saved for the finer strokes on the lady dress. The lady in the painting was dressed in a gingham dress with her legs stretched out in the front.

“Well, I have to. The ants were crawling up my legs.” Christine stood up before bowing down to brush at her legs but for the painter it was his excuse to approach the lady. He crouched down to assist her but she stepped back with giggling.

“Raoul, you are getting naughty.” Christine remarked to the man while she smoothed her dress.

“None like yours to show me more of your bosom.” Raoul laughed out. He could not resist the look then.

“Raoul, you are insufferable.” Christine hid her blush with her hands and then pranced off to the shade of the tree. “I am sure you …”

Raoul had held the other into his arms from the back and laid his lips on her hair. He inhaled the sweet smell of his love while she leaned back into his arms.

“My love, I wish…” Raoul words were stopped by the lady.

“I would love to but there are so many things I need to consider. You are the Viscomte and myself….”

“The perfect lady for the Viscomte.” Raoul cut in. “I don’t see why your status and mine have to be our …consideration. Love is between us and not of my estate and your family.”

“Raoul, it’s not that…I have ….No, we have much to consider. You … and me are both…” Christine tried to explain and then she gave up to be direct which was her nature.

“You and myself are still not ready for it. You have your military career and myself, my dancing and my other love for the singing.” Christine turned to look at the man she was sure held her love. “I need time to work on my dreams as you for your promotions.”

“Promotions? I cared not it. I am happy to with my men on the parade fields than those pompous officers seated under the shade. They are …” Raoul saw the look in her eyes before he changed his words. “And I love you too much to be away from you. It hurts here.”

“And there?” Christine asked with a grin.

“Only for you.” Raoul declared to her.

“And you lie. I knew of men like you. You hold no loyalty there. It moved with whatever offered.” Christine told him. “I am not your naïve lady who does not leave the home without a protective matron.”

“And you are …” Roaul struggled to find the definitive word without offending his love but Christine cut in with her melodic voice.

Il faut partir, hélas!
Il faut quitter ces bras
Où je te presse
Et t’arracher
À cette ardente ivresse !
Ah ! que le sort
Qui de toi me sépare
Plus que la mort
Est cruel et barbare ! etc.
.
( Alas, we must part!
You must leave these arms
in which you clasp me,
and tear yourself
from this passionate joy!
Ah, how much
more cruel and barbarous
than death is the fate
which severs me from you! Etc )
(Romeo and Juliet Act Four Scene One) http://www.murashev.com/opera/Rom%C3%A9o_et_Juliette_libretto_French_English

Christine danced her steps as if she was on stage. Raoul stood there looking for the reply. He knew her words were from the play of Romeo and Juliet; which was one of his favourite. He then replied with his arms extended before he fell to the ground clutching his heart.


Ni larmes, ni prière,
Rien, rien ne peut les attendrir !
À la porte des cieux !
Juliette, à la porte des cieux ! et mourir !
Hélas !
Je te croyais morte et j’ai bu ce poison !
( Neither tears nor entreaty,
nothing, nothing can soften them!
To the gates of heaven,
Juliet, to the gates of heaven and to die!
Alas!
I thought you dead and I drank this poison! )
(Romeo and Juliet Finale Act )


Christine turned to look at the man she loved on his knees still clutching his chest then. Raoul then extended his arms once more with the hands painted red with the brush.

“Before you go, take my heart and hold it close to you.”

“That was not in the play…” Christine frowned on his acting.

“Then it’s not an act but the true nature of my feeling for you.” Raoul placed on the stern expression before he split into laughter. Christine returned to her lover’s arms and then she whispered to him into ears.

Va ! ce moment est doux !
(Ah! this moment is sweet!)

She laid her lips on his.

Ô joie infinie et suprême
De mourir avec toi ! Viens ! un baiser !
Je t’aime !
( O infinite, supreme joy
of dying with you! Come! One kiss!
love you! )


The young lovers embraced then for their time were soon to depart. One to each of their career and it will years before they were to meet.



12.

“I will not have that as my child.” The man hollered out before he glared from the child to the midwife holding the child..
“He is of the …devil offspring. How could you birth this child to me?” The man stormed across the room. They were outside the sleeping chamber. “Have I not taken care of her when she needed it?”

“I set her up, love and blossom her to now. For what mis-deeds have I done she birth me the devil’s child?” The man glared at the midwife. “Tell me, old lady. Have you seen one that so…. Hideous?”

The midwife glanced away from the staring eyes of the man.

“Have you no reply then you must agree to me.” The man looked to the door that will open to his lover waiting there. He felt the pain to tell her and yet in him, the child was her doing. He took the courage to see her and told her his words. .

“Margot, I am a man of fame and wealth. I cannot be seen with that child. Do what is needed and let me be on my way.”
With that the father of the child stormed from the room pushing aside the mid wife who held the child. The elder lady had performed many deliveries including still born but never had she seen so deformed. They may have come with a twisted leg or arm but that child was unique. He brought the crying child to the mother and laid the child by the side.

“My child? Can I see my child? Is it a boy or girl?” The mother then still pain was longing for her child. She reached for the child to look.

“It’s a boy, Madame.” The midwife adjusted the cover on the child. The mother pulled back at the cover to look at her boy’s face and then she reeled back in fright at the sight but the love of a mother for her child overcame her fright.

“It’s head ….. Its deformed.” The mother tears flowed form pain for the child.

“Lady, I could take it outside.” The midwife stared at the young mother. “It would be painless.”

The young mother looked towards the midwife. Her mind then was confused but her love for the child was of a bond. She shook her head while her hand held the new love in her life

“No, …you may leave now. I will send you the money soon when I am able to move.” The mother spoke ever gently. “The child stays with me.”

Two weeks later, the mother stood on the living area watching the last of her servants taking leave of the house. They cited excuses of many kinds but none was as true like the one she knew of them. They feared the child and more the tales that the Devil will come to collect the child.

“Madame, please do not be hard upon yourself. The child is …”

“Madame Gerr, there is nothing wrong with my child. He aches in his ears and sleep evades him.”

“Yet he sleeps sound in the day. He is not a child of …I would know for I am a mother of five…..though I lost three in their younger days but none of them though sick ever does what…”

“Speak no more, Madame Gerr. You have your dues paid in full now please leave.” The mother sent her last and devoted then servant away. She stood there looking at the departing Madame with her two surviving children following behind. 

Her woes were not long for she saw the carriage that turned into the garden path.

“It’s Papa…” The mother whispered out. She smoothen her skirt and stood poised for her love. The carriage stopped before the entrance and the man stepped out. It was not the lover she was expecting but his servant bearing a small case.

“Madame Valerian.” Her maiden name adopted during the distressing time. “I am …”

“Girard, speak your master’s words and then be gone.” The mother disliked the aide which followed the master like a docile pet. The mother turned to step back into the house before the aide could explain his visit.

“Stay, madame. My words are few.” Girard cleared his throat before he continued. “The master wants you to vacate the house and there is your compensation for your current needs. More will be send over when you have established your new home.”

“Au revoir.” Girard left the case on the ground before he mounted the carriage to leave. He stood on the carriage steps. 

“Madame, if I may persists to you. He has returned to his ailing mother.”

The mother gasped in fright. She recalled her first meet with the ailing lady in the house then. The lady had visited her there assisted by the personal servant. She arrived on the carriage and then made her way to the library where Margot was seated.

“You are Margot.” The ailing lady stumbled into the library catching the other who was exploring in the books. The ailing lady gave the younger lady a look from head to toes.

“You are a younger catch. I have seen his previous ones but none as paled then you.” The ailing lady took a seat that was offered to her by her servant. “Not his usual retinue but I guessed he may have found his need to get them unspoiled.”

“Are you a virgin? Have you lain with him yet?”

“Madame! I deplore your line of questioning. I am ….”

“Please shut your trap on your vanity. I lost mine a long time ago and honest with you, I felt no loss for it. I much enjoyed opening my legs but the one that got in between it could only do for me one son and no more after that. His wealth stopped me from forming new lovers.” The ailing lady looked at her. “So are you the same like me?”

“I implore you, my lady. I am not what or who you may think of.” The mother defended herself. “Your son rescued me when I was in need and he did not demand of me any ….vile request.”

“Then he is a fool.” The ailing lady laughed. “I shall have to speak to my son.”

That was her recollection of her meet with the mother but she was not prepared for her own when she returned to her own home holding her child.

“My home is gone. My parents gone.” The mother wailed her woes with her child in her arms. She regretted the day she had wandered off to search for food and then battle that was started then caused her to run further away. She ran in fear and soon found herself lost. She called for her parents until her voice was hoarse. Her woes were not over by far, with more events that was to give her fright.

“Young lady, you need not fear me. I will protect you.” The mother then found herself cornered in the abandoned barn with a soldier holding a rifle levelled at her.

“I have here food and I can share with you.” The food was enticing but the expression on the soldier’s face was most distressing. The mother then stepped back with her stomach and her head having conflicting thoughts. She would have sacrificed her virtue then but there were shame to it. Her mother had once told her, a harlot even holds a price for her body. Her delays irked the soldier who charged at her. She was thrown back to the flooring and was set upon. She struggled and fought with her hands but the soldier was stronger. He grabbed her bodice and tore it open. She screamed and fought ever harder but it was only aggravating her pain. The soldier punched her and all her resistance went limped. She felt his hands tearing at her clothes and was resigned to her fate. It was not to happen then for she heard him scream and yet it was not of pleasure.

The soldier rolled off her body holding the back of his left torso where a dagger had pierced there. He was to reach for the dagger when he felt next was the booted leg that slammed his throat to kill him.

Margot was saved and soon she was to be the real mother of the child but not of the love she was to get.

A mother with a deformed child was not welcome by any.


She will learn it the harder way. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...