Sunday, August 17, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 2 Part 1.21

Act Two Scene 3 Part 2

The others have left the tavern leaving only Iago and Cassio. The later was on the verge of breakdown. Iago thought of getting a drink for the man, but he knew that was the last thing the one wanted.

Suddenly Cassio stood up.

"I am left with nothing. I have disgraced myself." Cassio spoke up. He looked to the bar and blamed it on there.

"The wine was the labor of my woes." Cassio then downed his head onto his chest. Iago approached the dejected man. He had served with the man, and despite the vengeance in his mind, he felt the sympathy on the other.

"That's not true." Iago pacified the other. "You were ....drunk. Othello had been drunk before. Remember in Milan, Othello struck the Senator there. He was restraint and kept in the castorum for one week, until the Emperor sorted the quarrel."

"Yes, that I knew. He was insulted and retaliated in kind. But I was not insulted. I was drunk when I was to be on guard. I am ruined. Ruined for life in my name."

"Ha! I thought you would had been ruined if you were hurt on the body, but you have only a flesh wound there." Iago point to the forearm. "If that closer to your chest, you would had being fatal or be dying by now. But your name? Please, Cassio. That can be mended with many wears, coins or gold or even power. So why are you feeling dejected like that."

"My name ruined, my rank destroyed." Cassio looked to Iago. "You are still a Centurion. I may not be for long. It would vanish soon."

Iago looked to Cassio and sighed. So the man still harped on the lost of his rank. The purpose of my vengeance. He decided to extend his comforting friend.

"You need to see him." Iago point to the upper level. "Please see him. He may be angry, and once he had settled down, he would have you reinstated. He was there to make a scene for the Lusitania aides."

"No, it can't be that way. I prefer he demote me than to accept me back on my failure as his Pilus." Cassio shook his head. "I was drunk; it may be once, but if it did happened, it may again."

"Those may be into me." Cassio point to the wines behind the bar. "I may take them again. I would then be raving mad again. Lunacy in my uniform......"

"Stop it, Cassio." Iago wanted a vengeance but not this humiliation. This was humiliating for a fellow Centurion to subject himself to such acts of self destruction. 

"Did you see who attacked you?" Iago changed the subject, hoping that would deflect the self pity that Cassio was feeling..

"My attacker? Yes,..... But no. I cannot recall. It was dark." Cassio muttered back. "Oh, the wine erased my mind."

"Please stop on the wine. Tell me what did you remember on the fight?" Iago was getting agitated.

"I can't. Don't push me. It was all dark, and I was drunk....." Cassio was stopped by his friend. "Don't asked me agin. I know my predicament. He won't accept me back, not even as a Centurion."

Iago stepped back and looked at the man.

"Stop blaming the wine. We all drank it, and liked it. You are only a lower tolerance than us." Iago shout at him. "You are a Pilus."

"I was and not anymore. He won't forgive me." Cassio continue on his self pity.

"Tell me of your attack. Did you see the man who did this?"

"No, I can't remember. It was all dark and so fast. I only knew I chased him here." Cassio  shook his head and buried it into his hands. Iago saw then the vengeance he wanted to have. He would kill two birds with one stone.

"Desdemona? She would be your answer." Iago told him. "She is his love. She would be your angel. She could tell him about your better qualities. You would be back in his good records soon."

Cassio looked to Iago and can be seen that his face was getting lighted up. He started to smile and then nodded.

"Thank you, Iago. You may had saved my career. I would see her in the morning. I would charmed her to talk on my behalf." Cassio stood up and then left for the doorway. Iago sat down and took a goblet of wine.

"You assisted me in moving the plans ahead." Iago looked to the wine. "As a villain, I gave good advice; good and honest. He would asked her to woo back his honor, and she would do as he asked. Othello, the fool would jump the cliff if she asked. He would not know. He was not to know that the devils played their best hands when they held their faces expressionless or better still to side the foes. A deceiving look that even the holy Gods would be swayed by that lie."

"While she soothe his ears with Cassio good points, I would write the script for Othello to read in his voice. It does not matter what he hears, but what he speak matters more. With more he speaks of that was opposite of her whispers, they would be tore apart." Iago took his drink and got up to leave the tavern.



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...