Friday, August 8, 2014

Othello the Legatus Act 2 Part 1.18

Act Two Scene 3 Part 2

The doorway to the Tavern was barged in by the staggering Cassio, holding onto his wound at the left forearm. It was then Iago was still in discussion with the other two aides on the offering of Lusitania.

"What did happened?" Iago got up to his feet and approached the Pilus. He had the Pilus seated down while asking for bandages and water.

"What manner of our men? He attacked me in the dark but I was not one who was easily ambushed. I fought him and had him wounded, but he pursued me." Cassio told Iago. "If only I had not ...."

At the doorway was Roderigo who held his own sword. He was followed by Montana who must had heard the fighting.

"Where is the pig who tried to stabbed me in the back?" The newly arrived shouted out. He looked to the two aides, and then at Cassio.

"I remembered you well. Your wound tells a tale I would like to end." Roderigo lunged at the Pilus, but Montana who had grabbed the man.

"Hold your fire, young man." Montana held onto the younger man. But it was Cassio who rushed at Roderigo., but his thrust was deflected by the sight of Montana who shielded the other. Montana then in turn faced the drunken Cassio.

"Hold yourself, Legionnaire." Montana told the other. He was one before and knew his way to discipline another.

"Legionnaire, I am. And no one ambushed me and gets away." Cassio shouted back, in which Montana replied.

"Legionnaire, you are a disgrace to the ranks. You are a Centurion, yet you are drunk." Montana retort back. "I am ashamed to be seen with you."

"Who are you to vilified me?" Cassio threw aside his gladius and rushed at the other for a fist fight. The other aides rushed to assist the two wrestling on the ground while Iago whispered to Roderigo.

"Raise the alarm. Wake up the others." Roderigo nodded and ran out of the tavern screaming like a mad man. He saw the tavern bell hung outside the doorway to signal the opening and closing hours. He pulled at that like a raving mad man.

Meanwhile on the upper level, Othello was awaken in his restful sleep with Desdemona. He pulled himself up and walked to the window. He saw the commotion downstairs and then walked back to the bedding. Desdemona was also awake but he told her to stay there. He placed on his mask and clothes before he stepped out. He met Emilia on the corridor but ignored her. He walked on down and saw the Lusitania aides restraining Cassio with Iago.

"Stop it!" Othello shouted. "Cassio, report to me."

But the later was still struggling in the arms of the others to finish the fight. Montana was seated across the flooring there nursing a bloodied face. He grabbed the nearby goblet and threw it at Cassio.

"Drunken fool!" Montana cursed at him.

"Hold your manners, all of you. Its the Legatus here and he needed some clarification." Iago playing to the tune of command to impressed his superior officer.

"What did happened? One day we were fighting tribesmen, and the other, we are fighting among ourselves." Othello shouted out. He saw the other legionnaires at the doorway and had them chased off. He closed the door and faced the fighting duo.

"Tell me as to what had happened? Or I would have both of you flogged in public." Othello cautioned them.

"I am sorry, Legatus. We were having a drink and discussion when Cassio came in. He was .....drunk too. He had some with us but I guessed he had one too many. He claimed ....someone ambushed him and he fought the other off. Then he saw Montana and they fought." Iago told it all but not the whole scene. He feigned some signs of being drunk himself.

Othello looked to his second in command. The other shied away when Othello asked him.

"Cassio, what manner of conduct did you get yourself into? You are a good legionnaire, and above all, you were to be in charge tonight. How did you....degrade yourself?"

Cassio looked to the Legatus and felt the shamed to reply.

"I have nothing to add, Legatus." Cassio replied. "I was drunk."

"Drunk? Cassio, you are my second in command, and well respected by all. You are supposed to be the wiser of the lot, and you dare to tell me you are drunk on duty. Fighting like brawler..... Cassio, you are a disgrace."

"Disgrace or not." Montana stood up. "Your Pilus had injured me both in the body and name. I done nothing but to protect him from his raving lunacy attacks. As a former legionnaire myself, his action is unpardonable. I shall see that this is reported to the Governor for further action."

Othello heard the threat and wanted to end the matter there. So he called on answers he seek.

"Come down, Montana. If there was a mistake here, let me the one who would rectify it. I want to know exactly what happened here. This looked to me like a match between my legion and your folks." Othello tried to shift the bearing of the fault towards the others. "We came here to protect your land and above all, never would seek a fight with those we protect."

"My side the fault of this? Preposterous!" Montana looked to Iago. "Tell your Legatus what did transpired."


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...