16.
Nayland had the cold pack on the jaw. He
was seated on the armchair in the chamber of one named Mycroft Holmes.
“The local constabulary found you on the
sidewalk and alerted the police van.” Mycroft spoke from behind the desk. “The
local precinct was to toss you into the cells when one of our boys recognized
you and had you transported here.”
“In a police van?” The van and then
horse-drawn vehicles were used by the Metropolitan Police to transport
prisoners from local police stations to courts or prisons.
“Well, it was free.” Mycroft replied. “Did
you not get any wagons in China for that?”
“In China, it will be a wooden cart, and
cuffed to the side of it and humiliated in a parade on the streets.”
"Brutal…" Mycroft let off a
chuckle.
“It was, but it worked well.” Nayland
rubbed the cold pack on the jaw. “Did they find the body there?”
“The hotel? I think so, but right now
Sherlock is there to investigate. Bloody good task you did with yourself?”
“I was told to observe him. I did, and he
was probably enjoying his whiskey in the hotel while I was soaking wet in the
rain and getting socked by…" Nayland bit his lips then.
“By whom, Nayland? I read your reports.
You could fight off four men armed with deadly weapons. So, who socked you that
bad?”
Fu Manchu…. His henchmen did it. It was a
bloody lucky punch, and I fell.” Nayland spat out the indignation he had
undergone.
“Fu… your father-in-law did that. Why
golly, I would be too. You are sleeping with his daughter and not taking the
vow. I would have done the same.” Mycroft looked up with a smile. “Fatherhood
lends you that strength.”
“Screw you, Mycroft. You've done your list
of ladies, and have you taken any matri-oh-molly commitments yet?”
“I have no Molly yet. Maybe a Nelly once
or twice. And above it all, I have not a father of the ladies who could summon
the evil to best me in a fistfight. Or shoot me with a shotgun yet.” Mycroft
smiled. “You are……"
“I am spiritual but have no commitment to
any denomination.” Nayland sneered at Mycroft. “I believe in a higher call.”
“Laissez faire.” Mycroft smiled. “Me too.
Well, back to us. Oldman Fu is not a threat here. He was at Dover and boarded a
ship to Liverpool. However, the Oni Society is the one threat we have to
handle. Sherlock is at the hotel, and we will know more soon. In the meantime,
you are to return home and rest …. Presumably without getting clobbered again.”
“I need to find Old Man Fu.” Nayland
struggled to get up. “I need to find Charlie.”
“Last reported, Charlie Song was in
EastEnders, but he asked for permission to return home to Hertfordshire.”
Mycroft told Nayland.
At that moment, Charlie Song sat in the
armchair of his home, with his wife and mother by his side. He was facing a man
with bad intents.
“Mr. Soong, I can assure you that the East
Enders have little or nothing on the Oni Society.” The man seated across from
him held a cleaver in his right hand. “We are an honorable organization, and
our trade is the goods we shipped in. You could say we've gone legit in our
trade.”
“Cheng, you are in my home. That are rules
of engagement.” Charlie Song glared at the man. “I can find you.”
“You could, but you are mistaken. I am
told to protect you from the Oni Society. The emperor left strict orders to
protect you and your sons. He does not want Nayland’s friends to get hurt.”
Cheng leaned back on the seat. “It is a tall order given our rivalry, but I
must obey. All that is needed was that you stay away from the Oni Society.”
“Why?” Charlie Song asked.
“This is not our war. This is between
them, and we will just get in the way. Meddlesome without a reason ails our
strength.” Cheng stood up. “Tell your leaders that you are to take a holiday to
America. It is lovely there at this time of the year, courtesy of the emperor.
He values you well.”
Professor Moriarty was not at his best
that day. He had concluded a lecture and found it more agitating than
educational, for the questions raised by him were given baffled expressions by
the attendees. He dismissed them all early and walked back to his study
chamber. He could make out the twin guards assigned by Colonel Sebastian Moran
for his safety and the groundkeeper who was standing guard at the carnation
flower bed by the building. He knew that the Colonel had his safety as a
concern, but he was contemplating why the Oni Society was activated then.
The Oni Society had been in London some
years; the Japanese Embassy to Europe arrived in 1862, and the first
batch of students studied at University College London, arriving in 1863.
Mitsui & Co. soon established its London office, and no fewer than two
hundred Japanese residents registered in Britain. The professor knew all of
this from his network of informers and had been monitoring certain persons of
interest since then.
The killing incident, murder as stated by
the authorities, is a norm for them to classify any gruesome death as such, but
to the professor, a kill is still a kill, depending on the expediency of the
act. Three persons were killed by means that suggested a foreigner’s act; the
head was removed with a sharp sword and unsanctioned by his network, and worse
to his affirmation, two of them were his informants, which costs him to
replace.
The professor also knew that Sherlock
Holmes was alerted to him by the prime minister's office. That baffled him, as
at that stage, he was not keen on the case, but he did take vengeance killing,
mindful use of the meaning on the loss of any operative. The method of killing
was beheading and demeaning to his network. He had the killers found; it was
not an easy trail, but he snared them and had them killed, with the body
disposed of at the pig farm.
Doctor Mitsui Ogata was not aware of the
missing operatives and, from his words, seems to think they are missing. His
proclamation of their demise triggered a reaction from the doctor, and then the
doctor got himself into an explosive act.
“So many variables……” Professor Moriarty
had his head down while he walked. “But Holmes…"
Holmes was another variable. He had known
Holmes, but there was no call to include Holmes. Why was Holmes called in? The
professor knew that Holmes was hardly involved in international cases unless
invited. His expression was drawn to the copy of the note he got from his
informer.
The professor had prior knowledge that
Doctor Mitsui Ogata was to meet Minister Leeson, and the agenda was the study
of the central banking needs. Mycroft was there as an international liaison as
expected, but the topic was diverted to the Oni Society.
Nothing was said by whom, and when was the
topic changed? It did not do much good when the minister was killed hours
later.
That leaves only two others to look at: Sherlock
Holmes and Doctor Mitsui Ogata. He had met the doctor and learned nothing at
all.
“Tell me, Holmes. What do you know?” The
professor muttered to himself when he reached for the door to his study.
Meanwhile, at the mortuary, Doctor John
Watson stepped away from the table and then removed his glove.
“It was not until this century that the
performance of autopsies was the norm for any criminal victim. It was a part of
the regulated practices of established medical examiners and coroners, with the
origin pioneered by Karl Rokitansky of Vienna and later refined by Rudolf
Ludwig Karl Virchow, who used microscopy to examine each organ carefully.”
“I am well informed on that, Watson.
Elementary lessons to me. In my early days of my studies in biology, I was
already applying causes of abrasions and wounds for my victim physiology
studies.” Sherlock Holmes stared at the burnt body, which was dissected in
parts. “I also did chemical…"
“I know. You told me you flogged a dead
pig to see the scars.” Doctor John Watson was then writing his report. “I was
out of bacon for a few weeks.”
“There was a fight there. And Kataka
Sukimora was injured. The fatal blow was on the forehead. A blow that only
certain masters are capable of."
“And added to your conclusion, I deduced
that the wound you mentioned at the forearm was a fracture, not recent though.
The fire did not scorch that part of the body, for it was underneath the chest
and was shielded by the main fire.” Doctor John Watson looked at Sherlock.
“Elementary, my dear Sherlock.”
“And I examined the omamori found at the
scene. It is identical to the one worn by Sukimora.” Sherlock held up the
partially burnt amulet. “It must have slipped off, and then the fire burned the
string, and it fell in between the armpits there.”
“Elementary, my dear Watson.” Sherlock
looked away. “But where is Ogata?”
“Presumably dead, but they never do so, do
they, Holmes?” Watson looked at Sherlock. “Are we in a hurry to get them dead?”
Nayland had then rushed to the port but
was late to see the streamer leaving the quay. The steamer was on the journey
to New York. And Charlie Song was on it.
“Sir, are you Nayland Smith?” A scruffy
lad approached Nayland. “I got a note here for you. He said you will pay me a
shilling for it.”
Nayland paid and took the note and read
it.
“Nayland, my good friend. I am going to
New York to meet family members there. I am offered a position with the New
York Police Department as an inspector. I will be there for a while. My regards
to you and your lover. Life is too short to not take it seriously. Take care.
My sons await me there.”
Nayland knew the message given to him. He
knew Charlie had a job opening in New York and was to leave for there soon
after he cleared the case here in London. When he read the reference to his
lover, he knew that Charlie was referring to the old man, Fu Manchu. Life was
short, a warning to him that he could be in danger.
“Go with peace, Charlie. Take care of your
sons.” Charlie’s main concern was his family, and he needed to be with them.
There was a breaking point for anyone, and that was Charlie’s.
“Fu Manchu, I will get you.” Nayland was
upset.
No comments:
Post a Comment