Monday, August 24, 2026

Heroes Return VI: Book One London Chapter 14

 14. 

 

Meanwhile, back in the city, another commotion was taking place.

“Colonel Sebastian Moran, I want this investigated.” Professor Moriarty was fuming with rage. “I do not like unknown variables in the equation.”

The Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluid substances used in physics, the mathematical "existence and smoothness" problem …… proving that solutions always exist in three dimensions without breaking down…. Has yet to be resolved and shall remain so.”

“This event of recent… or recent events…. It is a confounded nuisance to me. I cannot fathom what is happening. Like the equation, there may be more than two dimensions to the event.” Professor Moriarty was raging mad then. “Do something before I get… annoyed.”

“Professor, I can assure you the army of ours is hard at work here.” Colonel Sebastian Moran looked at the man he regarded as his superior officer. The retired military officer was dressed in the dark three-piece suit and sported a bowler hat and was leaning on the walking cane. He sported a thin moustache on his upper lip.

“Relate to me the events … not just that explosion event, please.” Professor Moriarty looked at the man whom he considered his successor.

“Doctor Mitsui Ogata was seen entering his hotel soon after the meeting. The valet confirmed that he was in his hotel chamber. It was near midnight, an explosion was heard, and then fire broke out in that chamber. They tried to put out the fire, but it was so intense that they had to wait for the Metropolitan Fire Brigade. The fire was put out at four am, and an hour after that, they discovered the charred body, believed to be the doctor.”

“Explosion, and fire, and a charred body? Any others owned the attack? The local East Enders?”

“None, Professor. Not yet anyway. We had the place watched from the outside and the inside. The doctor did not order any supper that evening.” Colonel Sebastian Moran stood there.

“Your instruction was explicit; we observed and adhered to it.” Colonel Sebastian Moran was a man who heeds his orders.

“Holmes?”

“They left their unit in the morning with Mycroft Holmes headed to the south of the city.” Colonel Sebastian Moran reported.

“The lady observed them leaving at mid-morning; I doubt there was any mention of the fire in the papers.”

The lady in the service of the professor was the housekeeper opposite the house owned by Mrs. Hudson.

“The telegram sent last evening?” Professor Moriarty reached for the message. “By the doctor.”

“Here, Professor.” Colonel Sebastian Moran handed the paper over.

“Crane here. Falcon nearby. Planning.” Professor Moriarty read the message. “I wondered… I should expect this. The Oni Society will act on this message. And assuming Doctor Mitsui Ogata died in the fire, there will be repercussions in the city. The three disciples of his were killed by someone, which we are unsure of, and the mining reports, which could be the tip of the iceberg here.”

“Unfactored in variables makes the problem an open equation.” Professor Moriarty does not like surprises in the city of his. “Investigate on and watch Holmes. I am sure he will be returning to the city soon.”

At the Greystokes estate, Lord Greystokes watched the group take to the edge of the forest at the estate. Thirun was thorough in sending scouts out around the estate. The number of Waziri warriors was about thirty in number, with another twenty in supporting roles. It is a small village, with the males’ forming sixty percent of the group. The ladies are not without fighting skills; the Waziri ladies are trained to hunt and kill from an early age like the males. The village was constructed by the forest to allow them a way of life like their homeland.

“Big Bwana, the scouts saw the intruders at the boundary, but they are not inside the estate.” Thirun stood next to the Lord Greystokes.

“Soldiers?” Lord Greystokes asked.

“Yes, and some that look like poachers, but they are watching the estate, more at the roads, and one was spotted in the forest. That was taken care of by Imoak, who played the dik-dik (a small antelope found in the dark continent) on the intruder and got the intruder caught in the trap set. That intruder will not be running on the left foot for some time.”

“The intruder left?” Lord Greystokes asked.

“Yes, he was seen limping off.”

“How did he look?"

“Small figure and dressed in black, carrying a short sword.”

Lord Greystokes did not say anything but watched the group of Waziri leaving through the forest paths. The two ladies were dressed in simple frocks, and their hair was braided; they each held a basket on the top of the head. The men were dressed similarly, but they held the spear in their right hand, and the rungu, an African warfare club, hung from the waist belt.

The Rungu is in length with a long narrow shaft for a handle and heavy knob or ball at the end in the manner of other indigenous cudgels such as the Irish shillelagh.

“Kimbel is a great warrior, Bwana. He will protect the lady.” Thirun saw the concern on the lord then.

“I also have placed four of our warriors at the house, two of the ladies assisting the lady at the house, and two groups of three warriors patrol the boundary. No one will get in unannounced.”

“I trust you, Thirun. Stay strong, my brother.” Lord Greystokes walked back to the house.

Meanwhile, Nayland Smith was standing outside the hotel. The rain had just stopped, but the people were still running for cover. It was not the Astor House at Shanghai, but he was staying there with Fa Loh Shue for a week. She paid the bill then. He felt angry that someone had bombed the hotel chamber. It was also that Doctor Mitsui Ogata was attacked under his watch. He had sent Charlie Song to check on the East Enders for any clues.

“Spare a thought for your soul, son.” The old man with the bent back in the frock and the covered hood stood next to Nayland.

“Please ignore my ignorance, Father. I am spiritual but not of any denomination.” Nayland kept his view on the hotel.

“I am glad, son in law. My daughter held the same belief after she met you. Perhaps love has a way of turning their faith.” Nayland heard the man and looked over.

“Fu…" Nayland was startled.

“Father will suffice.” The old man smiled from beneath the hood. “Please do not react. My men are… murderous when it comes to my safety.”

Nayland saw the three figures standing nearby, burly-looking and holding wicked intentions; God will deny them sanctuary should they act.

“You cannot get away……” Nayland looked at the older man.

“Run away? I am not. I am on a holiday to look for you.” The older man said. “Well, I lied. I was looking for my daughter, but she is away. She used to stay here. She may know I am coming and left.”

“Lo Shue is away. She……" Nayland looked over the old man’s shoulder for any help he could call on.

“Apart means the hope of mine to hold my grandchildren is still not there.” The older man sighed. “However, do try harder. And I am here to tell you that the Oni Society is more than you think.”

“Are you involved in the…" Nayland was to ask.

“Am I in China now? I am an old man here. For Chinatown, I will say Limehouse holds potential, but I will stake my bet on Pitt Street at Liverpool. It is booming.” The older man smiled. “And just for your curiosity, the Japanese may not be dead. He may rise from the ashes like the phoenix.”

“I must…" Nayland hesitated to act then.

“Do not be, my son. I am to go now, and I'll be seeing you. I may go back to China, where my old bones belong.” The older man turned to walk away, and before Nayland could act, he was knocked down by a passing burly man who shouldered him to the sidewalk. Another crouched down and threw the punch to his face. Nayland was knocked out by then and the coat thrown over his face. A cart offering fish and chips rolled up to the fallen man and set up business, thus covering Nayland from the passing traffic.

“Fish and chips here. Get a portion for seven pence. My father is not well today, so spare the younger me a thought.” The lad holding the stall there called in a scouser accent.

 


 

No comments:

Tweet .......Odyssey ...

  Preys and Predators VIII Odysseus the new Odyssey An adaption of Odysseus / The Tempest A mix-match of tale into one long tale Per...