10.
Sherlock asked for
permission to revisit the exchequer’s office. He made the request through
Mycroft and then to the Prime Minister.
“Shelly, you need not go
over my head there? I know you were invited by the PM, but between us brothers,
we could keep it ……. Informal.” Mycroft sat at the minister's desk while
watching the brother of his pacing the chamber. “We have searched every inch of
the chamber, his personal vault, and … found nothing there. I meant any
reference to the Oni Society.”
Sherlock was still not
satisfied and looked at every nook and crack on the book shelves.
“If you want to keep a
secret, hide it even from yourself," Sherlock muttered. He looked at the
rows of books there.
"Hmmm…Adam Smith, ‘The
Wealth of Nations’ (1776). David Ricardo, 'On the Principles of Political
Economy and Taxation' (1817)." Sherlock's fingers tapped on the spines of
the books there.
“Karl Marx - Das
Kapital (Volume I, 1867), the most exciting critique of capitalism and its
modes of production. And yet this book is here in the chamber.” Sherlock
smiled. “I can understand John Stuart Mill's Principles of Political Economy (1848)
and Jean-Baptiste Say's A Treatise on Political Economy (1803).”
Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a
Woman of Pleasure – John Cleland (1748). Never read that, but intriguing to see
it here.” Sherlock took the book out and read the first page, which was where a
dedication was inked: "To Brian, lots of love from here." Mindy
Kewala.”
“Not relevant to the case
here.” Sherlock replaced the book. “Nothing on Africa or Asia... I doubt there
will be any that modern economists will have read.”
“Were there any?”
“Actually, there were. Some
of the oldest texts were from there.” Sherlock looked at Mycroft. “Discourses
on Salt and Iron (Yan Tie Lun, 81 BCE) regarding state-operated industries
(salt and iron), covering taxation, trade, and economic freedom, and
Shihuozhi (Treatise on Economy) circa 1st century CE: a dedicated section
on agricultural policy, currency, taxes, and government economic management.”
“Shelly, have you read any
books in your field of expertise? I am referring to old books.” Mycroft taunts
his brother.
“Yes, I did. There were some
texts not taught in my college. There was Antoine Lavoisier’s Traité
élémentaire de chimie (1789), considered the first modern textbook…
Andreas Libavius’s Alchemia (1597), often cited as the first true textbook.”
Sherlock cited the books' titles. “I read Nicolas Lémery’s Cours de
Chymie (1675) and Joseph Priestley’s Experiments and Observations on
Different Kinds of Air (1775-1777)."
“One day, someone will read
mine on the process of deductions," Sherlock smiled. “As he read all of
these here.”
“Here are some of those
books and handwritten notes.” Sherlock pulled the bundles of papers out.
“Interesting, these are notes on the booming era of the Congo states. Studies
of minerals in the states.”
“Mycroft, what was Ms.
Kewala's role here?”
At the estate of the
Greystokes, Mrs. Greystokes sat with Mindy, their guest, in the library. The
guest of theirs looked at the rows of books there. She was tempted to approach
the shelves and ran her fingers over the books.
“Jane, you knew of my
passion for reading. I read all the books I could get. I patronized the
missionary churches there for their books.”
“Yes, Mindy. You borrowed
all my books then.” Mrs. Greystokes smiled. “John used to bring in boxes of it,
and you were there to read it."
“I did, and it was what
invoked inside me to leave my father’s side then.” Mindy sighed. “That was one
of the reasons. The groom was not too bad a lover to have, but I am not ready
to be attended by midwives… yet."
“Mindy, about Brian…"
“Jane, we are not lovers as
said by many. I am… or rather my association is purely friendship and mutual
respect on the development of my father’s land in economic terms. He likes the
subject, and we do spend a lot of hours together on it.” Mindy laughed. “Brian
is an older man, twice my age, and I doubt he can match my prowess in sex.”
“I bought him the book
titled Fanny Hill to flirt with him, but we never crossed the line there. It
was all platonic.”
“Mindy, I apologize. It was
……”
“Rumours. We have our share
of it. Like if John were as savage in his love.” Mindy laughed.
“He may be," Mrs.
Greystokes laughed.
“Let me be serious here.
Prior to last week, I was doing extensive design work on my father’s land. I
was getting reports on the mineral contents there and how to extract them. We
were to discuss it further at the country retreat and then present it to the
other ministers when…… All this happened.” Mindy's tears welled up. “I am
unsure, but it could be what the killers wanted.”
“Where are the notes?” Mrs.
Greystoke asked.
“I hid them… in the house…
my house.” Mindy looked at the lady.
Doctor Mitsui Ogata was
marvelled at by the sight of the new Kew Garden. He was told there was an
influx of local plants from his own country. The ants following Japan's 1854
reopening, with species like Aucuba japonica becoming popular.
‘I guess they have never
seen a real plant.’ Doctor Mitsui Ogata muttered.
“When Japan reopened her
borders in 1854, foreign visitors and plant collectors rushed abroad to study
the newly revealed wonders of this exotic world. One was a London nurseryman,
John Gould Veitch, who in the 1860s sent back a range of Japanese trees and
plants to his nurseries at Coombe Wood at Kingston upon Thames in Surrey; and
Robert Fortune, who imported a range of exotic species to the British market.”
"The Japanese concept
of the beautiful exotic garden had taken place here.” It was Ito Matsuke
dressed in the grey tweed suit and homburg hat. “Gardens are their favorite
pastimes."
“You are a good emissary of
Japan.” Doctor Mitsui Ogata continued his stare at the plants.
“Arigato, Sensei.” Ito
Matsuke did a low bow toward the senior member of the Oni Society. “I lived to
serve the society."
"Seishi ichinyo" (生死一如), meaning "life and death are oneness, suggesting they are not
opposites but part of a continuous, natural cycle. Doctor Mitsui Ogata said to
his disciple.
“Hai, Kishi kaisei" (起死回生), meaning "wake from death and return to life," signifying a
dramatic turnaround from hopelessness. Ito Matsuke bowed once again. “I know my
true purpose now.”
"Have you done the task
I had given?” Mitsui asked.
“Yes, I have. Your name was
mentioned to Mycroft as requested.”
“A false trail perhaps, or a
set trap.” The sensei said. “It was unexpected that the brother was to be
there, but I will enjoy the challenge to match wits.”
“Why ……”
“Do not raise questions when
they are of no necessity, Ito. Since you asked, I will be brief here. I am unaware
of the workings of the plan.” Mitsui snapped at the other. “The needed answers
were not with the minister; or rather we were abrupt to had it ended then. Then
his untimely death and someone had searched the chamber. His country home, as
make known to me was searched, and the lady was gone missing. That is now your
task. Find Ms. Kewala. She may fit the pieces there.”
“Hai.” Ito bowed to his
sensei.
"Sensei, Mycroft asked,
on Nayland. Smith Nayland of the…"
“I know Smith Nayland. He
was in China, the nemesis of Fu Manchu.”
“The crime emperor is also …
missing, Sensei. I was to track him in London, but nothing was heard.” Ito
sighed. “Another was on his trail, Charlie Song. He is working with Nayland.”
“Nayland? Why would Mycroft
seek him? He is a wild card here.” Mitsui pondered on the questions. “The
elderly Fu Manchu is another puzzle I need to fit in. Go now and report on
Nayland.”
Ito Matsuke took his leave
of the sensei.
No comments:
Post a Comment