Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Trojan War Chapter 6A

 

6A.

“Pirithous, your freedom ends soon.” Theseus roared out between gulps of the sweet nectar wine. He was the guest of Pirithous who was then to wed Hippodamia; the women who trained wild horses on the farm.

“You envy me then, Theseus.” The groom replied in jest. “After all the adventures we shared and conquest, none like this have you better me yet.”

“I beg defeat to you, my good friend.” Theseus roared back. The mortal with the muscular physique leaned back on the softer cushions with his left hand holding the tankard of the wine while his right hand was on the alluring lady who had entwined her legs over his.

“Stop your musings at my groin for I may be forced to copulate with you tonight, young virgin. I hold a vow to only do that with the one that is ranked as an Olympian Goddess.” Theseus roared to the lady who was yet zealous to earn his seeds into her.

“Tell us of your tale, Theseus,” Pirithous called from the other seated position with his arms around his wedded love. “Many of quests have heard of you but their ears may need to be sounded again on your fame.”

Theseus, not to be intimated by the challenge, rose to his feet and spoke.

“I am Thesues, son of Aegeus of Athens. My mother is Aethra, the daughter of Pittheus, king of Troezen. My mother had asked the Gods to bless her child with Aegeus. My father left me with my mother before birth but he left me with the legacy to find him. He buried his sandals and sword beneath a huge rock.”

“When I was old enough to fight like a warrior, I had moved the rock to retrieve his sandals and sword. I was told to bring the items to see my father who then the King of Athens. I was given two choices of the journey; by sea through the path around the Saronic Gulf where I will encounter a string of size entrances to the Underworld.” It was then the listening assembled groan out in misery at the dire trail.

“Or I was to take the land journey by myself and be faced with many obstacles along the way.” Theseus continued.

“Yea, the Six Labors it was called.” Pirithous cut in. “I will have mine soon.”

The guests there all roared into laughter.

“Yes, six laborious tasks, and I did them all. I killed bandits from Periphetes, the Club Bearer to the robber named Sinis, who tied his victims to the two pines that were bent to the ground. The trees when released will tear the victims apart. I kicked Sciron off the same cliff he had sent others to their death, wrestled Cercyon, and decapitating Procrustes the Stretcher.” Theseus raved on.

“And you bedded Sinis’s daughter, Perigune too.” Pirithous snapped in. “You naughty one to leave t\hat one out.”

“Perigune was a woman and deserved no mention.” Such was the attitude of the man towards the woman. The men among the guests roared into laughter while the women remained silent.

“And I was the one who captures the Marathonian Bull; the emblem of Crete to prove my worth to my father.”

“And he defeated the Minotaur that once terrorized the Athenians by devouring seven boys and girls at nine years interval.” Pirithous praised the might of his friend.

“Mere accomplishment of Man is nothing compared to our feats.” The words were spoken by the leader of the Centaur; the half-man and horse creation. The centaur stood higher than most men and held the fast steads of the horse with their four-legged limbs.

“Who challenges me?” Theseus looked to the pack of centaurs.

“I who is named Eurytus, the fiercest of the fierce centaurs.” Indeed Erytus held a formidable form and stood to twice the height of Man.

“And I…” Theseus was interrupted by Pirithous.

“And he will share a drink with you and please do rejoice in the feast.” It was a timely move to stop any strife between the centaur and man. The call was heeded and the feats resumed and soon the guests were all drunk.

It was to be a momentous feast of joy but Eurytus had then grabbed Hippodamia.

“You claimed to have tamed the horses in your name but who could tame you? Perhaps I can do the task before I have you return to your love.” Eurytus looked at the bride and then turned to leave. Pirithous had jumped in front of the centaur and demand the release of his bride.

“Release her? On your call? Challenge me for her. Prove your manhood to her.” Eurytus challenged back. “She does not deserve you.”

It was then Theseus had rushed at the centaur and pulled at its mane. Eurytus roared in pain and kicked out with its hind legs but Theseus had leaped high onto the rear of the centaur. He then sat astride the centaur back and kicked his legs into the midriff of the creature while he pulled at the mane of hair at the neck.

“Who dares?” Eurytus had released the bride and reared on its front legs but Theseus held onto the mane. He kicked the midriff hard and the centaur galloped ahead with Theseus directing its ride. The ride was short when Theseus galloped the centaur into the hard wall and caused it to fall to the flooring. There Theseus jumped off the centaur and grabbed a spear off the wall. He plunged the spear into the centaur at the neck and twisted the staff to pierce the heart.

“Die, heartless centaur.” Theseus roared out.

The other centaurs saw their leader defeated had then chosen to leave but they were set upon by the guests and guards. A bitter battle erupted before the centaurs were all slain. The victors rejoiced then and the centaurs were led off to be fed at the forest.

“I thank thee, Theseus. You have saved my honor.” Priithous praised the other. “Make your choice of the women here.”

“I will have none. I pledged to be with only the Olympian Goddess or their offspring. None of them here will satiate my desire.” Theseus looked at them. “I will seed the descendants of Zeus. Or none.”

The women there in attendance all looked away in disgust by the brazen words of the warrior but Theseus held no qualms to their feelings and walked away.

“Hold your departure, Theseus. Who do you desire then? Among the Olympians?” A guest had asked.

“Helen of Sparta. I was told that she is a Goddess in her looks. Some had spoken of her being the daughter of the Gods; perhaps Zeus.” Theseus replied.

“Helen? She is not of the wedded age.” A woman called out. She was truly a defiant voice among the others.

“Yes…. I know. But I will wait for her.” Theseus replied. “Such is my oath.”

“Do you know your rank to compare to the Olympians?” Another guest has asked and then slipped away to hide.

“Do I? Did I travel to be with my father the King? Did I battled on my journey and defeated them all? Did I falter in my conquest? Is that”, Theseus motioned to the dead centaur. “A foe I have defeated. I am Theseus and I will not relent in my journey. Even to Olympia.”

Such was the determination of the young warrior then.

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...