Thursday, November 26, 2020

Trojan War Chapter 10

 

10.

“I salute the winner of the race. It’s to the Olympians. Ares won the race. Troy had lost their winning streak.” That was the announcement. “I can see the winner in the arena.”

It was then the video transmission was restored. It was not without its wrecking trail for many viewers have reacted with anger. When the winner was announced, the wrecking expanded among the Worlds. The enforcers were called in to quell the unrest.

It was unlike at the winner rostrum of the race.

“I am proud to lose to you, Lord Ares.” Paris of Troy approached the Olympian. “It was a great race.”

“And I am honored to win today.” Ares stood there in his dark armor and the headpiece was with a face cover shielding the wearer to the cheeks before the nose bridge and there was a slit for the eyes. The top of the headpiece was the feather flume that reached to the rear.

“Sad to speak of your bull, young Troy.” Ares motioned to Paris’s bull which had lasted till the last stretch before it was gored by Ares’ bull. Paris looked at the track and saw the carnage of bulls that did not make it to the finish line. Some of the bulls, including the Macedonian, were seen lying dying on the track. Although the bulls are protected by the armor, the battle on the tracks was intense and with the bulk in them, the armor was as best flimsy on impact.

“My bull had its run for some races. I won’t have bred it if it was not to die on the tracks.” Paris replied. He had worn the simple tunic with sandals to the race. He was inconspicuous in this dressing and blended with the common viewer.

“I protest.” The Macedonian stormed to the rostrum. He was a huge man with noticeable biceps. “My bull was cheated of the race. How can that bull are armored with ….”

“My Lord, I did not notice you.” The Macedonian was taken aback to see the Olympian standing there. “I do …”

“Miscreant, remove him.” Ares was not one to be offended and his guards stepped up to grab the Macedonian.

“Please, my Lord. I ask for your mercy.” The Macedonian struggled with the guards.

“Imbecile!” Ares reached out with his right hand and a stream of laser energy from the built-in laser at his arm greave shot out. The laser beam impacted the Macedonian in the face killing him instantly.

“Dispose of the body and annihilate his offspring. None will carry his name in the world. And all his bulls.”

Such was the might of the Gods.

Ares then turned to look at Paris who had remained calm during the commotion.

“You are also a brave man, a young Trojan. Why won’t you stop me?”

“Lord Ares, the Macedonian was out of line and did you respect. I will not fight for one like that. It’s a sad waste of effort.” Paris replied. “And above it all, I am here to race my bulls. And since I lost, I am to accept it.”

“Such nobility in your words, Young Troy. I am impressed. Do join me for the victory feast” It was how Paris met Ares and soon became friends. They conveyed to the feast hall where lavish dishes of foods of the twelve worlds were presented and the wine flows freely.

“Tell me, Paris of Troy. How have your worlds fared without the conflicts with the …” Ares was cut off.

“Archaeon. Sparta, MacedonianOur conflict had never ended.” Paris replied. “With the Olympians as our custodian, we have peace on the surface but beneath it all, we are still rivals for the planets and of each other.”

 “You do not think the Games have erased their hostility toward each other?” Ares pushed the conversation forward. “We have tried to parley for all of you.”

“What is the purpose of the Games is well known but does it replace the bloodletting calls and the need to kill another? None whatsoever for it served nothing to us all. We still have our fleets of ships and armies if not to fight then to do what? Keep peace? It’s a mockery to their purpose.”

“You speak wisely, young Troy. Do tell me of yourself.”

Paris then recounted his tale from birth to the current state.

 “A noble birth man. I admire that from you. Have you seen your father, King Priam?” Ares asked.

“And has he seen me?” Paris laughed. “I am his bastard… I do apologize. I am not one but his son but he disliked me. Even bastards get better recognition than me.”

“I agree. In Olympia, even bastards get better attention than those of us who are the children.” Ares strengthens the statement.

“Lord Ares, tell me of the Gods?” Paris looked to understand others.

“There are fourteen of us alongside Zeus. He is the leader with his siblings, Except for Poseidon, Aphrodite, Hera, and Hades, the others are the children of Zeus. I am for one but we may not all share the same mother.”

“What is a woman rank among us?” Paris displayed his arrogance at it.

“Do not underestimate them, young Troy.” Ares cautioned the other. “The women are seen to be weakened but in many considerations, they are stronger than us. Let me give you the history of the Goddess to the ancient days when my father, Zeus was not a God then.”

“It was Uranus who founded the pre-Olympian worlds. He was a warrior that fought off the others on his planet. His conquest of them soon united the planets and formed the first united Titans.”

“Lord Ares, then you are the true embodiment of him the Lord Uranus.” Paris heaved on the praise towards Ares.

“I am not. He was a harsh ruler. He banished his children to the dark dungeons. I am more like Cronus the son who overthrew Uranus. I won’t hesitate to kill and with me, I won’t banish my children to the stasis confinement. I would have terminated them and not to be rescued by others or even by my father, Zeus.” Lord Ares continued.

“It’s the dark narratives of the tale that many shudder to tell.” Paris cut in. “Many of us heard of it in tatters but none dare speaks of it.”

“Well, it was true the lineage of our family was not of glamour but backstabbing. It does not surprise me when you said the Worlds still harbor conflicts despite the Games. Whether we were the Titans or the Olympians, we are destined to endure conflicts and wars will be waged.”

“Gaia…Rhea…. It’s the lure of the women again.” Paris sighed. “We can leave them and yet we can’t live without them.”

“Never underestimate the women of their strength and determination.” Ares looked at Paris. “I will tell you of the ones I knew. Only the ones that matter to me.”

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...