Sunday, November 8, 2020

Arthur II Book II Chapter 11

 

Excalibur and Guinevere

 

11.

 

Sir Bernlak of Haus or better known as the Green Knight stood a distance from Camelot castle. He was at the forest edge which had retreated by a far distance. He had followed the Lord Pendragon with his entourage to the castle. It was not of his interest but a favor called on by a lady. She soon appeared before he mounted the horse.

“My Lady Igraine.” Sir Bernlak greeted the lady with a bow.

“Sir Bernlak, it has been years since we last met.” Lady Igraine offered her right hand towards the knight. He held it to assist the lady off the horse.

“My lady called on my services.” Sir Bernlak had replied to the lady. “How may I serve you?”

“A gratitude from you to present yourself here is truly honored.” Lady Igraine sounded towards the knight. “You have served the Lord well during his tenure.”

“As I have, I am here to do his one last service in his name.” Sir Bernlak replied. “I am an honored Knight of the Lord and my words are mine to keep.”

“Ah, yes. You did promise my Lord Gorlois on that fateful day before he rode to battle.” Lady Igraine pressed on the promise that the knight took before the Lord. He will remain behind and shall he be called on by the Lady, he will do so.

“One last promise and one more last task.” Sir Bernlak reminded the lady. “I was …”

“Devoted to the departed Lord.” Lady Igraine sniffled at her weak attempt to shed a tear. “I do have your task before you.”

“Sir Bernlak, you are indeed a noble knight and one who had pledged to fight off the evils of the sorcery and witchcraft. You have dwelled in the castle by the forest near to the final resting place of Lord Gorlois. You did it to fulfill your task to cleanse it for you knew Lord Gorlois …”

“He was a great leader and above all, he had desisted to deal with the sorcerer and witches …”

“And yet he had fallen to mine.” Lady Igraine laughed. She found the blade of the knight’s sword at her throat. “Do kill me, Sir Bernlak. If that blade will purge you of your lust for me too.”

Sir Bernlak withdrew his sword. Lady Igraine was right to ridicule him. He was also smitten by her beauty then. He had wanted to kill her when he found out of Lord Pendragon’s deceit but the war was waged then. He was to seek the druid and again he was given a heavy task.

“Sir Bernlak, protect my land and above all, Lady Igraine.” Lord Gorlois had told him. “Swear to me on the oath of our honor.”

“Yes, I will.” Sir Bernlak had obliged. “My Lord, I cannot protect the land, and the lady if …”

“The land comes first. I do not want evils to plagues the land. For the lady, give her one deed to do by you. That’s all.” With that Lord, Gorlois had taken off to battle Lord Pendragon. Sir Bernlak had with the others banished the druid then. It was Lady Igraine that was saved by Lord Pendragon before they could act on her. The knights and Chiefs who supported Lord Gorlois were made to pay the price when they were hunted and beheaded. For some reason, Sir Bernlak was spared. Later he was to know it was Lady Igraine who had spared him.

“I spared you for you may need to do the last task for me.” Lady Igraine told him. “I will call on you then.”

And she did.

“I have a task for you. The druid named Merlin is at the Prime’s side. He had convinced the Prime as the next Lord …. Or King to the land. He may stand against my interest.”

“And your interest is not mine to protect.” Sir Bernlak replied. “I had ….”

“You owed me a task and I will collect.” Lady Igraine glared at the knight. “It’s not me I want to be protected. It’s the daughter of Lord Pendragon I wanted to be protected.”

“Lord Pendragon is my foe. I will not….”

“You will for her mother is the ... of the Lord Gorlois blood. She is the daughter of Lord Gorlois’ sister, the first wife of Lord Pendragon, Lady Penelope of the Moor. How did you think Lord Pendragon rose in the ranks? He was a minion then but he paved his way by marrying the Lord’s sister. She died years ago soon after the birth of Guinevere.”

“Guinevere?” Sir Bernlak was there at her birth but he had not seen her since.

“Yes, you know her. She is now with me. I have plans for her with Prime but I feared the druid. Protect her is your fulfillment of the promise you have pledged to Lord Gorlois.”

“Take your vow, Sir Bernlak.” Lady Igraine raised her voice. Sir Bernlak went down one knee to bow to the lady.

It was not far away, where Lady Guinevere had taken her walks on the banks of the lake. She was there yesterday with the Prime. He was not charming like some of the younger men she had met but he held a stately feel to his ways. He was gentle and ever listening to her despite her ramblings of nonsensical talks.

“I must have bored you, my Lord.” Lady Guinevere was looking at the huge lake. She spoke without turning towards the older man.

“None whatsoever, Lady Guinevere. I am ever pleased to hear you than to the grumblings of the …... Chiefs.” Artorius had picked his words and chose not to mention the Lords for he feared she might be offended for she was part of Lord Pendragon’s entourage.

“Yes, the men have nothing to talk on besides the conflicts over the land or their women.” Guinevere blushed and then apologizes for her outburst then.

“None took. I am …. I like you to be direct with me. It beats the consenting words of the men.” Artorius then turned to look at the chaperone of his. “Or a miscreant druid.”

“Oh! Is he a druid? He looked like a …” Guinevere looked at the elderly man in the unkempt tunic and the worn-out sandals with the shoulder bag.

“Bag of bones, I called him. He is named Merlin.” Artorius remark drew laughter from the lady.

“Then you shall feed him more meat than the remains on the bones.’ Guinevere defended the druid.

“I would if he will dine with me but he chose to own fireplace,” Artorius replied.

“Why is he here?” Guinevere asked. Artorius was to reply but Merlin had intervened.

“Arthur, this is not the time to delay. I can sense another battle; a huge one and it will decide the fate of the land. “You must act on my advice.” Merlin stepped up. He then looked at the lady and apologize.

“I do….” Merlin was cut off by Artorius.

“You were rude. And I don’t want to have anything to do with this…. Sword.” Artorius then stormed off.  It was then Merlin looked at Guinevere.

“Pardon the intrusion, my lady. Arthur tends to be hard-headed.”

“You named him Arthur. How interesting? Why?” Guinevere asked. Merlin was then to reply but he held back.

“And yourself, my lady. How are you related to Lady Igraine and the … Lord?” Merlin looked at her. He had his reservations about the lady.

“I am …. Not related to lady Igraine. I only knew her sometime back.” Guinevere deferred the memories of her slavery then. “I am however the daughter of Lord Pendragon with my mother, Lady Penelope of the Moor.”

“Lady Penelope?” Merlin searched his mind on the lady. He had met Lord Pendragon not long before he was to battle Lord Gorlois. He was not close to Lord Pendragon although he was coaxed then to assist Lord Pendragon to disguise as the Lord.

“It was to ease her concerns on the Lord. I shall appear as Lord Gorlois to talk to her.” Merlin was told. He had seen Lord Pendragon played pranks then on the lady. He agreed in haste and when he found out its activities, he confronted the Lord over it.

“I swear that nothing happened.” Lord Pendragon had told the druid and yet the words in the castle were heard differently by the Lord himself. He confronted Lord Pendragon and in the exchange of words, the war was declared.

“I never met Lady Penelope,” Merlin admitted to the lady. “How may I …”

“Ascertain my claim? I hold my mother’s pendant on me.” Guinevere displayed the pendant of the twin geese to the druid. “It was my father’s gift to her.”

“And your father is…” Merlin looked at the lady.

“Lord Pendragon. I was given away after birth and take care of by the family that was linked to Lady Igraine. I was raised by them even till the arrival of Lady Igraine. Soon, we were taken to slavery by the raiders but we never parted.”

“You indeed indebted to the Lady. She who…” Merlin found his words cut off.

“Lady Igraine is like a mother to me. She sent me gifts when I was growing up. She told me never to reveal the pendant until it's time.”

“She is wise, Lady Igraine. I will…”

“Do nothing, druid. I will speak to Lord Pendragon when I am ready.” Guinevere then left the druid to himself by the lake. Merlin stood there transfixed his sight on the lake and yet his mind was on the lady. He sensed in her greatness and then betrayal flowed in her blood.

“You are a pitiable sight, Merlin.” The druid turned to look at his back. It was Lawnslot who mocked him.

“And what does the Ghost have to do with me today?”

“This was the spot when I was taken delivery by the ladies. My father King Ban died on the spot you stand on.” Lawnslot smiled. “The very same spot when he handed me Arondight.”

“King Bon was a great leader and he …” Merlin was interrupted.

“Yes, he did not return the blade to the lake. When I was there, I felt the urge to return the blade many times. It was in my dreams and sometimes visions in the day. I had told the ladies but I was cautious that those who called on me were not of the lake. It was the others who had reached me. The lake will protect me and only the combined powers of the ladies of the Lake can take what was given by them.”

Septem enim virtus aequat inter coniuges reddi legata doni.” (Translated: The power of the seven ladies equal to one shall it is bequeathed the return of the gift.)

“Yes, Merlin. It also said that the …”

Donum autem postulavit ut non volens redire.” (Translated: The gift is not to be demanded but returns willingly.)

“Yes, that was why I held onto Arondight. I need it to vanquish Lord Pendragon and his allies.” Lawnslot declared then. “Till then the lake will have to await its return.”

“And I seek is the other to bestow on the King.” Merlin sighed. “Why won’t Arthur ask for it?”

“I won’t know. I will ride back by daybreak tomorrow. I sought to check on the people there. How do they fare well with the new Centurion? I was told that he was fair.” Lawnslot replied.

“Lancelot, the war is not over. The Anglo Saxons are still a foe. They may be defeated in some battles but their main strength lies at Mount Badon. If I were you, rally the men to your banner one last time, and end this war.”

“And I will. The Anglo Saxons are in the retreat. I will get ….” Lancelot was interrupted by Merlin.

“Your war is to be allied with Arthur to win. Or lose again.” Merlin told him. “The prophecy of the Bears does not lie. It remains to become a new destiny.”

“Bah! Your prophecy…”

“Bores you? Then don’t listen but remember this, with Arthur you have seen more victories than you ever had for years. Arthur may …. No, he rivaled that of King Bon.” Merlin then looked at the lake.

“Arthur will be King,” Merlin called out. “Excalibur will serve him at his hands.”

 

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...