Monday, November 18, 2019

Murder One; Part Two Chapter Eleven


11.

“They entrapped Sidney. He was caught with the bag of cocaine and taken in for distribution. Later they called in and added in weapons possession.” Shawn told me. I thought hard. The cocaine can be fought off in court and get a verdict of guilty for possession and gets the suspended sentence given Sidney’s age. Weapons possession was a bad one. The Mayor has been fighting for heavier punishment for that. He was a police officer and his partner died shot on the street.

“Get the lawyers,” I told Shawn when we met at the cafĂ© not far from the church.

“The good ones are declining. I know why. It’s the others putting on the pressure.” Shawn explained. “He would not have you called in but I did it. On my own anyway. Sidney may fry my ass if he knew.”

Ass being hauled up was my line of punishment. Or I thought it was. I guess Sidney used that on everyone else.

“Could it be…. “I was cut off.

“Selby? I had thought of it. They have been muscling in for some months.”

“Sidney never said.” I snapped back. I then sighed. “He wouldn’t anyway, not to me. I am not…. His son. Not truly one.”
Soon, I left when Madge called me to say she was on the way.

“Madge, do you know Maud Adam?” I raised the name after the pleasantries.

“Yes, she was a bad kid. She has done something …. Okay, one too many stupid things. She was picked by almost ever Section; Juvenile, Narcotics for use and possession, and even Vice for soliciting but each time she was bailed for she was a minor. And I was her bailor on some of the earlier charges.” Madge looked away. “I can’t help it. She was family-related.”

“Her family, my other brother dead now, had no regard for family care. Her mother was a junkie and died early. She was left alone. We did not know until her name appeared on the system. I was no computer person; only assisted by my colleagues on it. I saw her name one day.”

“She was named Marilyn Moore. She took her mother’s maiden name. I looked her up and brought her home to mine but it lasted two days. She left and with my pieces of jewelry. I tracked her down but she was already in for theft and vice. I wanted to bail her but someone did. Some fancy lawyers did the job. I asked her and she told me she was eighteen and was independent of me. I could not stop her but wanted to help. I was her only other living relative besides her older sister. You knew of me through the sister huh?” Madge looked at me hard. “I don’t watch the news or read the papers. It was my personal promise when I retired.  When and how did she die?”

I told Madge and she cried. I cried too. Maud was my bitch. I also cried for I had no sex since Maud left me. I felt unwanted.

“Leave it me, Madge, I will see that she is cleared. I believe she was set up.” Madge took it all in and left the Station. I was saying goodbye to her at the stairs when the next call came through.

It was Connie Layton.

“Bernice.” Not often anyone called me by that name. “It's my goddaughter. She is missing. She only fourteen.”
It was vintage for anyone to panic when their loved ones are missing for several hours but the law says twenty-four hours was the measurement to be categorized as missing persons. I explained to her and she then told me the extended version.

“She was seen getting into a car.” Naturally, I asked the make and license number. She gave me the make and a partial number plate; ‘It was something like MAN’.

I called Tabitha to check on the system and who bailed Marilyn Moore several years ago. I made off to see Sidney. I also checked on Connie Layton on the records system.

“Son. You got the nerve to come and see me here.” I looked at the man who was threatened and then doing the same towards me. Nevertheless, he met me at the Church and was guarded by four of his goons and one named Shawn. There was no tea sett but he held a stalk of red rose twirling it with his fingers.

“I am in this predicament because of you. You had to challenge the Selby Family. Why? Am I not good enough for you?”
“Sidney, I am investigating a series of killings and it could be linked to them. It's my work and not that…”

“Picked a fight? Was Henry Selby a witness or suspect in those killings?” Sidney tossed the rose to the ground.

“I …. I cannot disclose any information in an ongoing investigation but Henry’s …. Death was not my fault. He attacked me and I defended myself. I was not going to be …. Beaten up into a ragged doll.”

“Beaten was how I heard it. You beat him and impaired his thumb. He later crashed in pursuit of you. He is in a coma now. His brother, Nigel Selby have no proof that you did it. That is why he is coming after me. That’s why he is coming after your bitches. He is after your ass and I may just offer it to him for free.”

“Sidney!” I was truly hurt inside. “How could you? I am ….”

“Not my son. Not ever and never will be. My son had no … “Sidney sighed.

“Two asses for anyone to fuck. I don’t and even I do, I won’t give in that easily. I am still a Madden and we don’t give up. We fight to the last drop of sweat.” I quoted Sidney ‘Boxer’ Madden words.

“Fuck off!” Sidney dismissed me. I drove off to find Connie Layton. It was getting late but she worked late that night. We agree to meet at the club, Virgo.

I went back to change and got a new update from Tabitha.

“Ma’am, we checked on one named Betty Lee Layton. She was the daughter of Caroline Layton, the sister of Connie Layton. She is fourteen but has called up for several delinquent crimes.” Cool that all the names I sent in were turning out to be bitches. Reminded me of the song, “Girls want to have fun”.

“What about the family?” I asked

“Bad Leroy bad. Father was a bouncer and worked at the clubs. Mother was a Stage Manager in the club scene.” Aka means that she organized the girls there. It was a needed environment there. “Betty was mostly with minders but developed some attitudes.”

I asked for which clubs.

“The Manifold Group. It was purported …. “I knew who owned that group. I changed the subject to the license plate.

“It belonged to the Group.” It hit me than the words ‘MAN’. I knew then Connie and I needed talk. More of the bitch chat. Hence, I arrived on my new bike, leather garbed and boots with my phone and badge inside the jacket. I have a Police Special Short barrel inside my jacket pocket. It was a gift from a guy I released after some others tried to frame him. He was grateful and held some bad records.  He gave me the gun as a personal gift later in a package. He told me ‘one day, it may come in useful’. I was obliged to report it but I didn’t. As an officer of the law, it was an offense. So was my safety then.

“Connie, we need to honest. I checked on Betty.” I saw the colors on Connie flushed from her face.

“I can explain. She was …. Her parents neglected her much and I obliged to cover for her.  I have a career and the means to take care of her. I tried to get her off the same track as her mother.” She was convincing but the reach for the vodka was not a good telling sign. I had known Connie for months; she was Two in the Six. She drank hard with us and played harder. I may be gay but I have never seen her go back with anyone. She always leaves alone.

“Did you act for Marilyn Moore?” I dropped the name on Connie’s lap. The message appeared on my phone. The law firm was Cohen, Adam, and Associates. On Fifth Street.

“Who?” Connie replied before she took another drink. She looked around and then she spoke on it.

“I was a junior then. I was assigned to the Juvenile cases. We, at Cohen, Adam, and Associates fought for their rights.” I did not cover juveniles so I was not aware of that firm, or firms doing the action.

“She was my client. I bailed her several times on the instruction of the Seniors or the stakeholders.”

“Who?” I dangled the question.

“I don’t have the actual names. Only speculation. One was named Sidney.”

“Have you heard of Nigel Selby?” I threw in the name. I was still reeling from the shock that Sidney was named. Connie shook her head. I took it for a negative reply. We continued our drinks.

Despite all the last few days of tribulations, I needed relief. And I took it with a bitch picked up from the club. It was pre-dawn and the lady hitched a ride on my bike. She was older and I don’t have preferences to the age as long they are willing. The bitch was willing and despite our age differences, she was still beauty. She was better at sex. I thought I was the dyke and drove the acts but she showed me some moves I was willing to follow. We did it at the discreet motel room and by dawn, she left me alone on the bed. I pushed myself towards the shower and washed the body down. I then picked up my gear and saw the card.

“Sister, back off. It won’t fare well for you if it’s justice you want.” The writing was the same as the one who left the message on my car. I had forgotten about it until then. I got dressed and checked with the lobby.

“Lady left in a car that picked her up.” That was a worrying reply to my question. I looked back at the room; the bedsheets and the place where our DNA could be marked. I have a dilemma to contend with. Do I get Forensics to sweep the place and get my name plastered on the report? Or drop it like the note requested. I checked for my gun and it was not there. That was a bad move.

I was entrapped.

I ended up seated on the floor and with my head on my raised knees.

The bitch was a Trojan Horse. The call came through.

“Inspector, its best you backed off. Your bitch Connie Layton is paying the price we had reserved for you.” I could hear Connie’s scream in the background. “Don’t let us do it to you.”

The call ended.



No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...