Monday, April 15, 2019

Dark Tales 1: Hello Joey

 I could not help it but stared at the image outside the window. I guess, after a a year of resisting and killing them zombies, you would be immune to their looks . I had done it all; shot and sliced off their limbs before I removed the head. The removal of the head was the to make sure they stayed dead. Uncle Jake missed that part and ended up being one but I did him the final roll with his head. Well, back to the image there, it was a boy I would guessed in his early years, and probably got lost and then bitten to become a zombie. He stood there and stared at me. A silly notion came to me then, and it was then I pulled up a chair to the window and grabbed my can of home brewed drink of corn and whatever I could rummage from the ground. It tasted like nothing I have ever tasted but it gave me great feelings soon after I drank it.

“Hello.” I had my legs stretched out and onto the window will; leaned back on the chair and held my drink in the left hand. I would had use my right hand but its was missing some fingers then.

“You new? I have not seen you around. Are you looking for your folks?” I was being nice then; with my smile and generous look.

“I could offer you a drink but I am rather low on the supply. So pardon me, if I do the drinking and perhaps you could tell me more of yourself. You know make some noises will do.” I ain’t stupid. I knew zombies can’t talk with their brain dead; but they could moan and groaned. Not that I fancy theirs but after being left alone for that long, any resemblance of the words were refreshing.

“Oops! I may had killed your parents. I mean you are around and they probably are. If they were, I would had killed them for I held a rule here. No adult zombie allowed on my property. You could try to search for them at the mound over yonder. There I buried most of them, including Uncle Jake too.” I could had sworn then I saw tears in the boy’s eyes.

“Now hold on to your emotions, boy. I said I would had killed them or maybe they went to the other place. Lady Jane there kill anyone including me if she could find me on her property. Maybe they are there and you are in the wrong place.” I pacified the poor boy.

“Tough times, huh?” I lowered my legs and then took a sip of my potent drink. “I was the lucky one I guessed. I survived that long. We were once a huge family; pa, ma, uncle Jake and aunt Mary, and there were the three brats named Joey, Bart and Ted. They are all dead like you. I shot them all.”

“Hey, you looked lile Joey. Are you Joey? I think you looked like him last Spring.” I leaned over to the window and stared hard at the face. “Yes, you are Joey. Well, hello. I did not see you last round. When did you come back? Was it Winter or Summer?”

“Have you seen the others, Joey?” I had to ask then. I was being a good girl.

“Mary Lou, are you off your bonkers again?” I sat back on hearing that call. It was my parrot pet, Tell Me. I trained it to talk to me and it did was said those words. I had one look at Joey again.

“I guess class is over, Joey. I love you. I will see you when I come to class next time.” I got off the chair and walked to the kitchen to pour another drink. I heard my parrot calling out again but that I ignored it. I just want to go back to my cooking. I dug up a heap of them growth from the mound earlier, and they are brewing just fine on the slow fire. I have my works planned daily and that includes talking to Joey by the window or Bart by the fire place, and I threw Ted into the mou d. He was a pest. The talking to my cousins kept me sane here in this lonely place.


I walked up to my pet parrot and then reached for the button to rewind the recording. It was recorded by my Mum for me  

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...